John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge Loop from Wanamaker Avenue Trailhead

easy 42 reviews

John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge Loop from Wanamaker Avenue Trailhead is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Essington, Pennsylvania that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.7 miles Elevation Gain: 32 feet Route Type: Loop

I was there today. Honestly I’m not sure where all these great reviews are coming from, I thought the place was a dump. I don’t know if it’s because it’s off season so maybe they don’t take care of the area during the winter months but there was trash everywhere. Even oil drums and trash cans thrown into the lake. Wooden bridges were falling apart. No matter where I was I couldn’t escape the sound of the highway and at one point I was walking right along 95. Maybe I was just at the crappy end of the refuge and maybe the other side is better? Not sure but I will probably never be back, it was unfortunately depressing to say the least.

Very nice scenery. Good distance for walking or biking. Trail can get very dusty after multiple dry days though

This trail is All right. The views are definitely not that great. I definitely wish that the township or county would put in some Sound dampening walls next to the highway because it is hard to relax when the highway is right there. I found the beginning part of the hike very relaxing, but the second half when I was by the highway was not very relaxing. Overall it was a pretty easy walk, it was flat and most of the time and I definitely would consider doing it again, but I would probably bike it and not hike it. it’s not bad to just get out and walk it, but if you want to relax and enjoy the outdoors, it is hard to do with the highway right there.

Once you find the parking nook, you’ll have access to a large loop that gives you great views of the Refuge, and the animals that reside here, e.g. turtles sleeping on sunny rocks, and all kinds of birdlife

recorded Recording - Dec 28, 10:39 AM