Iron Furnace Trail

Iron Furnace Trail is a 3.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Kennerdell, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Starting in State Game Lands 39, hike south until you reach the Iron Furnace Trail sign. It will take you across a ridge and then down a valley to the Cross's Iron Furnace. It's still there and is getting overgrown with trees like the one at Freedom Falls down river. The trail is a steady drop which made it a moderate return trip. There is an area across from the falls to sit and eat a lunch if you wish.

1 hour ago

Walked my dog to the furnace in the spring and had lunch on the creek bank.. Beautiful hike, I especially enjoyed the trail through the pine trees. Can't wait until my daughter is a little bit older so I can take her along.

Short n sweet trail! The incline on the way back is long and will put the fire into your legs! Great exercise, and its not a bad hike back, just take your time.

It was a great experience overall and I will definitely do it again. We did it as a day hike and it did not disappoint. Although one of my companions lost his phone.
Beautiful view

It was very neat to see the iron furnace. Pretty muddy, but it is mid-February.