Learn more

Hills Creek Lake Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Wellsboro, Pennsylvania that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.0 miles Elevation Gain: 187 feet Route Type: Loop

paddle sports

beach

It is great for a family walk! You get to see the park: campground, lake, and wooded parts.

I loved this trail. The entire thing is 3.0 miles but if you start at the trail head where the parking lot is and do a full loop, it ends up being about 4.5. It wasn’t super hilly but did have a few smaller ones. Beautiful views of the lake and the trail is pretty well marked. We did have to check the map once or twice to make sure we were following the right markers, but over all it was pretty great. We saw lots of turtles, birds, and there were minimal bugs. There’s also a few spots to stop if he need to rest/eat/whatever. I’ll def come back to this park.

This trail is meh at best. I’d hardly call it a hike let alone a moderate one. The trail disappears by the RV sites, with no indication of where to pick it up. Then you have to follow the road, which is approximately half the “trail”. I was hoping for a nice hike in the woods, but instead I got an aggravated walk along the shoulder of the road. I’ll give two stars though because what WAS on the trail was quiet and peaceful. All the pine trees were quite pleasant.

from D loop, to mid state trail onto lake shore trail.

Thu Jun 20 2019

A nice, easy stroll along the lake. Recent heavy rains have washed out most of the areas where drainage is channeled into the lake: watch your step!

Mon May 20 2019

Saw Mountain Bluebirds and Bald Eagles. Nice easy trail.

recorded Hills Creek Lake Trail

Sat Mar 23 2019

Sun Sep 16 2018

Nice peaceful trail along the lake. Passed a few others out with dogs, but not much traffic. Gets a little hard to follow on some areas near the beach, but as long as you’re following the lake you’re fine. Came across a deer who wasn’t bothered by me at all.

Wed May 09 2018

Can you fish in the area?

Mon Sep 18 2017

Nice hike. My family enjoyed it. My toddler even walked a lot of the way.

Sat Apr 29 2017

Always loved this peaceful hike. Such a peaceful area

Sun Aug 07 2016

Nice little loop trail. The lake is stunning if you go the right time of year. I live across the street so I hike this trail often with our dog.

Wed Jun 22 2016

Great Hike from Ives Run to Hill Crest on the MST

Tue Mar 01 2016

Loved the beaver dam. Beautiful lake and our husky, Keira loved her swim.

Thu Dec 31 2015

Always a good hike when we come out here!

Tue Jun 18 2019