Heritage Trail

Heritage Trail is a 17.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Murdocksville, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hiked this along with most of the Forest Trail in March and then again in May. Trail was overgrown with vegetation in May especially the section west of Rt. 18. The vegetation really tore up my legs, I would suggest wearing longer pants if doing this trail west of 18 in spring/summer. Several down trees in different areas. Definitely one of the most secluded and challenging hikes you'll get within a 40 minute drive of the Pittsburgh area.

Enjoyed the trail. My fiance n I with our 2 dogs started at the Mineral Spring Trail head by the rangers office n picked up the Heritage Trail. Nice scenery and some good climbs. About 2 1/2 miles in came across a large tree the park must've cut down n left it lay across the trail. Was a bit difficult for the dogs to navigate over but not too bad. Definitely wet n muddy on some down hill. But all in all we had a great time.

Didn’t love this one. Went in March and not much to look at with planes flying overhead fairly often so you don’t get to much of a nature feel. Good practice for the AT though with the steep climbs.

The Heritage trail is beautifully blazed! I made a 5 mile loop starting at Nichol road trailhead, going south on Heritage trail to Buckskin trail, and back out Nichol road. I’m not a fan of “road” hiking, but Nichol is more of a trail than a road. Buckskin trail is a horse trail so blazes are much less frequent, but it’s easy to follow. Only confusing spot was where it appeared there was a double blaze indicating a turn that wasn’t. Looked for it a bit, then decided to stick with the obvious path. The Heritage trail has multiple creek crossings and is wet! Hiking poles are a big help as are waterproof boots. I was able to keep water depth to about ankle deep, but it took a little work. My dog went along and managed well too. Saw a few footprints, but no other hikers til the last 1/4 mile.
I hiked another part of Heritage from Racoon park road last week. Again, great trail marking and good scenery. Lots of climb and not so wet on this section. Only met 2 others on the trail this day too.

A lot of diverse greenery

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Wanted to run an out and back 18 miler on this and had to turn around 8 miles in due to the insane overgrowth. It slowed me down to a crawl and I deemed it not worth it. I was planning on using this gauge for a potentially backpacking trip but based on the blandness of it and the overgrowth, I'll give it a hard pass. Now I know!

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Wanted to run an out and back 18 miler on this and had to turn around 8 miles in due to the insane overgrowth. It slowed me down to a crawl and I deemed it not worth it. I was planning on using this to gauge a potential backpacking trip but based on the blandness of it (except for the tall pines for a small part around mile 2) and the overgrowth, I'll give it a hard pass. Now I know!

Thursday, June 22, 2017

I use this trail for trail running. Once you get to around 6 miles, it starts to get a little thick. Around 9 Miles it's so thick you're basically crawling... it's a good trail otherwise though. Definitely recommend checking out the mineral springs loop around mile 4.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017