Haycock Mountain via Top Rock Trail

Haycock Mountain via Top Rock Trail is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Kintnersville, Pennsylvania that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

29 September 2018. Hiked with my dog and family. Enjoying the weather. A little muddy in spots but not anything to dissuade one. We got mixed up at the top as you must pick your way though the boulders, but managed to make a go of it. Some spots were a little much for my dog of 29 lbs. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would hike it again.

Fun trail with a manageable incline. The top gets bouldery and I had a kid, so it was slow going. Had a hard time finding the trail again at the top.

moderately challenging. kids under five can manage with a parent's help. as noted elsewhere, about 2/3 of the way up the trail disappears and the terrain is heavy with boulders. You just have to climb around; there is no particular path marked (although there is certainly enough graffiti to let you know that you can keep going). plenty of interesting caves and niches to explore. pretty scenery. fine for dogs.

Completed the trail for the first time last weekend. The trail was easy to follow until you hit the boulder area about 2/3 of the way to the top. You are pretty much on your own navigating through the boulders. Could not locate a real trail and/or any blazes. I found the challenge to be pretty fun. I was pleasantly surprised at the size and formation of the rocks. The down side was after working through the rocks and coming up to the crest...your climb is rewarded by a rock canvas of bad graffiti. The return trip contains more visible blazes (blue arrows). Still a hike I will do again to at least hunt around the rock formations.

Easy, short hill climb with a steady but gradual incline. Mountain entirely tree covered so views are minimal most of the year. The best time to get a view is during late fall and winter after the leaves have fallen. The trail is easy to follow with some boulders to climb near the summit. The parking lot is small but generally not crowded.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

I love this trail, and it is quite strenuous trying to climb the boulders at the top of the mountain, but finding your way to the top can be quite difficult as there are not very well seen trail markers. I have hiked this trail 20+ times, as it's close to where I live, however, I still find myself getting lost. It's also nice that it is in close proximity to other trails at Lake Towhee/Lake Nockamixon so if you wanted more than just a short hike for the day, you could pop on over to another location.

Friday, September 01, 2017

sadly no vista at the top. and there is quite a bit of broken glass, but overall it's a nice short hike. the rocks are a fun challenge. we had our border collie with us and it was tough through the rocky part, so it wouldn't be good for all dogs. we'll definitely come back here though.

Saturday, August 19, 2017

I swear this was just rated a hard trail not moderate. Anyway, lovely trail but once you hit scaling across all the boulders you loose the trail markings they become very scarce. At the top are large boulders you have to climb up if you want to get to the overlook. It's was a nice short hike just keep an eye out for any markings you see further up the trail.

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

Was good trail but not good on the marking for the way to hike and get around. Only when going up the trail it had the blue markings. But going back Down the blue marks, yellow and orange were way off trail.

Monday, August 07, 2017

The trail was a little difficult for me, but I would do it again! I wore good sneakers and shorts. I recommend though wearing pants and hiking boots, so you don't get scraped on the big rocks. The rocks get bigger then cars, but it's a good hikr.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Beautiful trail.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Very nice trail. Challenging at the top. The rocks were slick due to the recent rain.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Really cool hike. Gets rocky near the top and would be difficult to get dogs/little kids all the way up.

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Loved this trail. Short distance so you can conserve all your energy for playing on the rocks. Moderate hiking with rocks and obstacles. The boulder climbing at the end was really fun!

Monday, February 27, 2017

A nice small gem I will visit numerous times. Took my 12-year-old nephew and he loved it. Rocks, boulders, logs and strategy. Well it might be moderately difficult it is definitely doable for most ages because you can avoid most of the difficult areas if you choose to.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Super fun! Definitely a hard hike up boulders. I did most of it while carrying my smallish pooch in my one arm which was a work out for sure! lots of large rocks which can be slippery when wet or in snow. Still loved it, and the graffiti at the top is really cool.

I was hoping you'd be able to see lake nockamixon from the top, but you can't. still a fun experience! make sure to wear orange if it's hunting season! also while dogs can go, mine was very frightened by the boulders and had difficulty with them

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Fun hike it's really short tho, I wanted more after it was done. Don't believe the reviews about it being hard to follow, there are blue arrows everywhere and it's an out and back. You go up, then you go down. The rocks were super fun! Very technical and fun

Thursday, November 03, 2016

Loved it! Climbing the boulders was hard, especially for our dog but really beautiful at the top.

Friday, May 20, 2016

Trail was nice until you get to major boulders. Then it's hard to navigate. Hard for a beginner like me. Got held up in the boulders trying to get out for quite some time. But nice view at the top of Lake Nockamixon. I had a good time. I wouldn't recommend taking very young children.

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Beautiful scenery, very quiet, dog friendly. However, to say it's not marked well is an understatement. the initial trail from parking lot is so well defined, there's no need for blazes. But all of a sudden the defined trail peters off and you have no clue where you're going. the only marks I saw were spray painted trees with smiley faces or obscenities; no true blaze marks. Perhaps I missed something more obvious but we walked into at least 3 other groups wandering around in the woods too, so it can't be just us!

Monday, March 14, 2016

Fun hike, not located where it says on the map.

Sunday, March 06, 2016

maybe gets bad reviews cuz it's hard to follow and easy to get lost bust lots of good geocaches around here and also a bouldering area

Monday, February 29, 2016

Lots of people here with bad reviews, but I thought this hike was sweet! Not for the faint of heart though I guess. Trail head was easy to find. Not technically in Quakertown, but just take Rt 563 to a turn off on Top Rock Trail road. I usually take my dog with me, but glad I didn't. He would've had some trouble navigating the rocks, as you are hopping and bouldering when you get closer to the top. Trail isn't well marked at spots, but was easy enough to find my way up and then back down, even when off trail.. Cool discovery, I'd go again.

Monday, November 23, 2015

Where's the trail? This map shows Quakertown. The trail is miles from there...

Friday, March 28, 2014

This "trail" is not worth your time. There are absolutely NO trail maps to be found ANYWHERE. The blazes are random and the trail is inconsistent. After you reach the top, which is less than a mile, the trail continues to a grass road and water tower. After that the trail breaks off to the right and seems to lead you back towards the top to complete a loop. It actually disappears and leads you into private property. By no means is the trail 19 miles, not even close, maybe if you walk around aimlessly you will hit 4 miles. The State Game Lands parking areas all lead to no where, they just lead to private property and woods that must be bushwacked. If you want to actually hike on a trail stick to the Nockamixon State Park, haven't been there personally but it has to be better than Haycock. If you're looking to do some bouldering, then Haycock has a couple places to climb grafitti covered rocks.

Saturday, October 05, 2013

Living in Quakertown PA, the trail was within 15 minutes driving time. Trail was not clearly marked, hard to follow to the top of the mountain but still a great day outside and located in a beautiful area of Pennsylvania.

Sunday, September 08, 2013

We had a hard time finding the train head and need up walking the service road first only to find the trail head (blocked by a down tree) right off the parking lot. Duh! We took the trail off the service road which was a grass path to start. The trail blazes were poorly marked and didn't notice them at all until the way down on one section I the trail. It is fairly easy until you start getting to the boulders. That was when it got fun! The bouldering was difficult at times but the challenge was an accomplishment for our first time. Kids that were there did not have problems from what I could tell but don't take little ones or dogs. We did not see the vista view that they show on the website. The view from the top I the boulders it more trees. The trail probably keeps going but it was overgrown and the lack of blazes made us unsure of which way to go so we went back down instead. They need maps - at least on line to check out before hand.

Thursday, August 01, 2013

The trail was very poorly marked: many sections had no blazes and the sections that did were pretty inconsistent with them. The trails were overgrown in many places and there was lots of poison ivy.

Despite those complaints, the boulders were a lot of fun to climb on. The "top" was quite a jungle gym (the words "top" and "mountain" should be used loosely). I would recommend this trail to those who are looking for rocks and have already explored the area's better hiking options.

Sunday, June 16, 2013

We really enjoyed the bouldering. It was such a nice change from the usual hikes. The trail was a bit short, but we ended up hopping around on the rocks for quite some time. It did go on, but to where we weren't sure, and I haven't been able to find a map. Other trails in PA have boulders, but I've never seen as many as here, or as large. Next time I will bring gloves though. There will definitely be a next time.

Friday, October 05, 2012

Its a great hike for a nice sunday afternoon or you can spend the day bouldering either way its a great time. I went with a few friends a this past spring and we brought my puppy and we all made it to the top! I am a kayaker as well and the Nockamixon lake is a stones throw away. I would recommend both for sure.