Haycock Mountain via Top Rock Trail

Haycock Mountain via Top Rock Trail is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Kintnersville, Pennsylvania that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

moderately challenging. kids under five can manage with a parent's help. as noted elsewhere, about 2/3 of the way up the trail disappears and the terrain is heavy with boulders. You just have to climb around; there is no particular path marked (although there is certainly enough graffiti to let you know that you can keep going). plenty of interesting caves and niches to explore. pretty scenery. fine for dogs.

Completed the trail for the first time last weekend. The trail was easy to follow until you hit the boulder area about 2/3 of the way to the top. You are pretty much on your own navigating through the boulders. Could not locate a real trail and/or any blazes. I found the challenge to be pretty fun. I was pleasantly surprised at the size and formation of the rocks. The down side was after working through the rocks and coming up to the crest...your climb is rewarded by a rock canvas of bad graffiti. The return trip contains more visible blazes (blue arrows). Still a hike I will do again to at least hunt around the rock formations.

Easy, short hill climb with a steady but gradual incline. Mountain entirely tree covered so views are minimal most of the year. The best time to get a view is during late fall and winter after the leaves have fallen. The trail is easy to follow with some boulders to climb near the summit. The parking lot is small but generally not crowded.

I love this trail, and it is quite strenuous trying to climb the boulders at the top of the mountain, but finding your way to the top can be quite difficult as there are not very well seen trail markers. I have hiked this trail 20+ times, as it's close to where I live, however, I still find myself getting lost. It's also nice that it is in close proximity to other trails at Lake Towhee/Lake Nockamixon so if you wanted more than just a short hike for the day, you could pop on over to another location.

sadly no vista at the top. and there is quite a bit of broken glass, but overall it's a nice short hike. the rocks are a fun challenge. we had our border collie with us and it was tough through the rocky part, so it wouldn't be good for all dogs. we'll definitely come back here though.

I swear this was just rated a hard trail not moderate. Anyway, lovely trail but once you hit scaling across all the boulders you loose the trail markings they become very scarce. At the top are large boulders you have to climb up if you want to get to the overlook. It's was a nice short hike just keep an eye out for any markings you see further up the trail.

Was good trail but not good on the marking for the way to hike and get around. Only when going up the trail it had the blue markings. But going back Down the blue marks, yellow and orange were way off trail.

The trail was a little difficult for me, but I would do it again! I wore good sneakers and shorts. I recommend though wearing pants and hiking boots, so you don't get scraped on the big rocks. The rocks get bigger then cars, but it's a good hikr.

Beautiful trail.

Very nice trail. Challenging at the top. The rocks were slick due to the recent rain.

Really cool hike. Gets rocky near the top and would be difficult to get dogs/little kids all the way up.

Loved this trail. Short distance so you can conserve all your energy for playing on the rocks. Moderate hiking with rocks and obstacles. The boulder climbing at the end was really fun!

A nice small gem I will visit numerous times. Took my 12-year-old nephew and he loved it. Rocks, boulders, logs and strategy. Well it might be moderately difficult it is definitely doable for most ages because you can avoid most of the difficult areas if you choose to.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Super fun! Definitely a hard hike up boulders. I did most of it while carrying my smallish pooch in my one arm which was a work out for sure! lots of large rocks which can be slippery when wet or in snow. Still loved it, and the graffiti at the top is really cool.

I was hoping you'd be able to see lake nockamixon from the top, but you can't. still a fun experience! make sure to wear orange if it's hunting season! also while dogs can go, mine was very frightened by the boulders and had difficulty with them

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Fun hike it's really short tho, I wanted more after it was done. Don't believe the reviews about it being hard to follow, there are blue arrows everywhere and it's an out and back. You go up, then you go down. The rocks were super fun! Very technical and fun

Thursday, November 03, 2016

Loved it! Climbing the boulders was hard, especially for our dog but really beautiful at the top.

Friday, May 20, 2016

Trail was nice until you get to major boulders. Then it's hard to navigate. Hard for a beginner like me. Got held up in the boulders trying to get out for quite some time. But nice view at the top of Lake Nockamixon. I had a good time. I wouldn't recommend taking very young children.

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Beautiful scenery, very quiet, dog friendly. However, to say it's not marked well is an understatement. the initial trail from parking lot is so well defined, there's no need for blazes. But all of a sudden the defined trail peters off and you have no clue where you're going. the only marks I saw were spray painted trees with smiley faces or obscenities; no true blaze marks. Perhaps I missed something more obvious but we walked into at least 3 other groups wandering around in the woods too, so it can't be just us!

Monday, March 14, 2016

Fun hike, not located where it says on the map.

Sunday, March 06, 2016

maybe gets bad reviews cuz it's hard to follow and easy to get lost bust lots of good geocaches around here and also a bouldering area