Hawk Rock via Appalachian Trail

Hawk Rock via Appalachian Trail is a 1.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Duncannon, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I hike this a few times each years. Stunning in the fall and the gorgeous greens in the spring are worth the climb. Week day early evenings aren't too busy but weekends get crowded. Typical PA rocks on the trail and some of the climb can get steep at parts. Totally worth the views, fresh air and wildlife. Make sure you check for ticks as I've found a few after this trail. Mostly shaded by trees which is nice and keeps it cooler in the summer.

awesome view

Good uphill hike. I made a mistake thinking it was a short hike in cool weather and overdressed... It was strenuous and I got way too hot.

Only reason for removing a star is the jagged rocks you have to walk on. Wear thick shoes.

Beautiful view, but you sure have to work for it!

very nice

Enjoyed it- lots of rocks and steps going up. Pretty sure you need to turn around when you get to the lookout- I continued to follow the white blazes, but after 10 minutes remembered it was an out and back. Don’t be like me...

easy great place to bring anyone. good views not to hard a nice hike for all ages and skill levels

We did this trail last September! It was pretty difficult but well worth the hike once you get to the top! Beautiful views!!!

Awesome views,clear path,not a long hike but you will break a sweat.

Incline trail with steep sections and mostly rocky. If you have bad knees I wouldn’t recommend it. Great view once you get to the top.

Very pretty overlook. Still very manageable to hike in the snow, but Yaktrax or micro-spikes are a good idea. Will go again!

Great views. Well worth the hike.

Yesterday, I attempted hike up the trail. About 3/4 of the way up I encountered solid block of ice which covered the trail making passage near impossible. I turned around after almost falling off of the mountain. Lol!

great trail for newbies!

A little slick because it has been raining but an overall great hike. Lots of stairs, so if you have bad knees I would recommend some knee braces. Otherwise, a short hike with a beautiful view! (I had my 2 dogs with me and they handled it with no problems)

Fun trail, lots of rocks and steep. 9 yo got too nervous with the rocks and trail edge towards the end to continue. 10 yo was blazing ahead and was bummed we didn't finish. Adventure!

It's a short hike that leads to a beautiful view of the water basin. I was the only one on the trail when I went Friday morning. The stone steps for the climb can be a bit of a workout and the path can become narrow at points, but totally worth it.

Fairly easy, yet interesting hike. The vista is breathtaking and awesomely panoramic. It is heavily trafficked on a Saturday early afternoon.

An extremely awesome payoff for a short distance and smooth elevation change.

great view

short...but good work out. beautiful up at the top.

Great hike

A nice, shorter day hike that provides a great workout! The trail is very well marked and features 'rugged' scenery -- if you've ever done Old Rag, this has a similar feel. I would rate the way up a little more strenuous than moderate -- as it's all uphill and, at points, with a steep grade. The view makes it worth it, though. If you're looking to extend your hike a little more, turn right at top of Hawk Rock and follow the AT for ~2mi. You'll hit an intersection with a blue blaze trail that leads down to a small shelter (about ~0.2mi on the blue blaze). Definitely recommend this hike and will return in the future!

Friday, June 16, 2017

Loved it. Very rocky. Took the 3 year old and my 10 month old pup

Friday, June 16, 2017

Loved it. Very rocky. Took the 3 year old and my 10 month old pup

Thursday, June 01, 2017

quick hike uphill, pretty views of the susqy and juniata.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

short but sweet

Friday, May 26, 2017

nice short walk. definently steep in places and lots if steps but short enough to make it up and a beautiful view. I went on a week day and only saw about 3 other people.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Fun trail... especially if you have a day off during the week when it's less crowded. great view!

Thursday, May 18, 2017

beautiful view. Steep hike but worth the view. go in summer or early fall and on a clear day

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

A nice view at the top trail very Roxy and steep in areas. A lot easier going up then coming down. But worth the view.