Hawk Mountain Sanctuary via Skyline Trail

Hawk Mountain Sanctuary via Skyline Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kempton, Pennsylvania that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

This rugged, ridge top trail follows the spine of the Kittatiney down over North Lookout, crosses East Rocks (a scenic overlook) and meets the AT 2.5 miles from North Lookout. This scenic hike is recommended only for experienced hikers. There is a 10 ft. vertical climb just off of North Lookout. Find the trail by way of the Lookout Trail from the visitors center. The Lookout Trail is blazed in orange, and the Skyline Trail is blazed in blue.

This is a challenging trail with a vertical rock wall and several near vertical climbs. If that's in your skill set, it is worth it to do this loop.

Great hike. Nine of us completed it as Charisse described 14 days ago. Had great views and it was a nice workout jumping from stone to stone and climbing steep walls on the Skyline trial. Trickiest was the River of Rocks trail since leaves covered loose stones making the descend slippery.

Beautiful hike especially during the fall! Started around 6:30am with a view of the sunrise at the south mountain lookout then headed down the River of Rocks trail to the Golden Eagle trail then to the Skyline trail. It took ~ 3.5 hours to complete with stops to soak in the views along the Skyline trail. I would highly recommend this loop if you like to be off of the beaten path and venture from the more heavily trafficked trails!

This was a challenging yet very enjoyable trail. Lots of boulder and rock climbing. I would recommend gloves and definitely shoes with good tread. We actually crossed over the river of rocks and back because we didn’t see the red marker. LOL. However it added an extra workout. The leaves and weather were spectacular this past weekend and we did see some hawks. Definitely doing this trail again.

A Fun challenging hike . You get the pay off view at the North Lookout. Parking is at the Hawk Mountain sanctuary

If you’re in the area, this is a must!! Especially during the fall and at sunset. Beautiful!

My wife and I had been to Hawk Mtn. prior to us deciding that we would hike the entire loop. We are by far not accomplished hikers. I am 10mo. out from double knee replacement surgery and I can assure you that this hike really pushed me to my limits. We started at approximately 10am and started our counter clockwise loop taking the River of Rocks Trail to the Golden Eagle Trail. The grade from the river of rocks up to the top left me thinking that I must be paying for some past transgressions. We then started on the rock/boulder scrambling, hopping, climbing leg of our “hike” that I thought was someone’s very sick joke. After coming to that conclusion I found out that we were only 1/3 the way through our mountaineering 101 day from hell. Thought about just giving up quite a few times before we came the last demented obstacle on the Skyline Trail. The vertical 15-20 foot rock wall.!! After scaling this looming beast we finally had made it to the North look out. We were battered but not totally beaten we made our way back along Lookout Trail to the car at apprx. 2pm. We were a dusty sweaty mess but we did what we set out to do. On to the next adventure....

oh! It may be some time before setting out to conquer this loop again but we will be back!

question: where do you park? In the sanctuary or at the address listed here (1526 Hawk Mountain Drive)?

Beautiful views!

If you have wobbly shoes you need to turn around quick

The whole trail was very fun and great to see, thanks to the reccommendations of the friendly staff.