Hawk Mountain Lookout Trail

Hawk Mountain Lookout Trail is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kempton, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October.

wheelchair friendly

Great trail.... I will warn you though this trail is moderate to an avid hiker. It is definitely very challenging. And we did have to scale rocks to get to the top of the north lookout. We came in the opposite direction however meaning we started with the river of rocks trail and then climbed up the mountain to then climb up to the north lookout. All in all a very good hike.

Great hike! But for a better more rewarding challenge start by going down in the valley and then come so that you end on top of hawk mountain.

rock climbing

Gorgeous. Nice challenge with an 8 year old in tow.

Nice mooring out. Trails and overlooks got crowded as morning went on. Appalachian overlook closed due to suspected Timber Rattler den under ledge.

Beautiful vistas, technically challenging, like 8.5 due to scrambling over all the rocks. A 6 in physical exertion. Wear good boots and long pants or capris. Loved the hike!

this is a really nice nature short walk up the lookout , great for kids, app trail also close by for more experienced hike

Trail map not drawn to scale. Lots of bugs today and a VERY noisy group of kids. We let them pass & waited quite a long time so that we could have a peaceful hike. Always a fun challenge here...❤ the rocks & views

If you do it right, Hawk Mountain is a lot of fun! Recommend taking the river of rocks to Golden Eagle - a good, steep challenge, then the skyline trail is where it really gets fun. Some great scrambling/bouldering takes you to the summit. Views at the top won't blow you away but the skyline trail is awesome.

This place is awesome. You can make it easy or hard and either way I do not think you will be disappointed. Check out my full write up along with some things to look out for.

Had a great day on Hawk Mountain with my grandchildren. The hike was absolutely wonderful and the views were fantastic. Good trails, easy going.

Hawk Mountain is one my favorite places to go. I have never completed the full loop, on this trip I intended to but it was much too humid and I sweat a lot. So I kept it simple with an out and back from south lookout to the majestic north lookout. This is a fairly simple straight forward hike most of it fairly level til you get closer to the north lookout and go up 100 or so feet rather quickly. First half is a nice dirt path but gets rocky quick.

If you like climbing over and up Rocks and boulders take The River Rocks Trail not the express route, and the Bald Eagle Trail to the North Lookout! South Lookout views were very beautiful as well and very easy to get to.

A great hike. Our kids loved it.

saw 7 hawks today

Beautiful day hike!

awesome

Some parts were really hard! Very rocky at times, lots of scrambling. Great views! I suggest hiking east to west on the Skyline trail, going up the boulders, rather than down.

Good views, lots of big bird to see

Today wasnt the best day for this hike due to dense fog. To hike, it cost $9. I find that ridiculous to pay to hike, but I haven't been here yet, so i did. If there wasnt any fog, there would have been some amazing views. There were lots of look outs. Im gonna go back and try this place out on a nicer day.

Great trail and great scenic views from several points. If you are gonna to take all loop, you will find lot of challenges on the way, especially on Skyline trail.