H. Knauber Trail Loop

H. Knauber Trail Loop is a 5.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Tower City, Pennsylvania and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Definitely a hike not for the feint of heart but beautiful view from fire tower.

Was a great weather day to be out but I can only rate the hike 3 stars due to very poor trail marking and no real expansive view on top. I met different groups who also had problems with markings. Disappointed.

Great climb and the firetower is terrific. When starting out, if you go to the left at the fork, the climb is pretty straight up and intense. The trail along the ridge at the top is interesting. After the tower, on the way back down you'll see where some clear cutting has been done - this is to create habitat for grouse.

What a great hike! This is a good hike- we went from the trailhead along the AT to the turn off- following the Blue blazes. The climb up to the ridge was a tough one- straight up- be prepared to take a break if you have beginners/little ones. the trail marking took some work, but were follow-able if not in a hurry and are watchful of the Cairns and other trail indicators. Walking along the ridge was peaceful and worth the escape. This trip takes you deep into the remote wilderness of PA....it appears so being so close the H-burg.
If you take the pink marks you will follow the loop as intended.. we did not as we had the blue blazes in our minds and ended up taking the not so maintained Water tank trail (Blue Blaze). it was good trip down the mountain however be mindful of the springs running down the same path and numerous dead fall across the trail. Bottomline: we would do this again and recommend it to others!

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Beautiful hike. Poorly marked at times. Difficulty finding trailhead at northwest corner. Lost red trail markers at southwest corner (turns to blue along ridge). Otherwise the ridge was beautiful. Saw several large bucks.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

awesome trail and fire tower, definitely would take this loop again!

Thursday, April 20, 2017

Took the ATC (white blaze) to the trailhead for the H. Knauber Trail (red blaze). Steep, rocky. At the top of the ridge, at the cairn, the blue blazed trail starts to the right. I found the blue blaze to be poorly maintained. Bark has come off some trees, losing the blazes. The blue blaze trail starts to go downhill (very rocky). I was not able to maintain sight of/or find the blazes and ended up off the trail. I went back up to the ridge and wandered for some time while remaining at the same elevation. I ultimately got to the Stony Mt Lookout Tower. Followed the road from the tower to the intersection with Rattling Run Trail, turned right, at the next intersection turned right onto Water Tank Trail downhill back to Clark's Valley Road trailhead. Good thing I had a map!

Saturday, April 08, 2017

Monday, May 16, 2016

Beautiful area. Would have liked to have an actual map of trails though. We found a pink maker trail and took that pretty far up the mountain. We turned around when we saw that it just kept continuing uphill and it was just a little too much for me.

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Easy to find and not extremely difficult but a nice climb and walk in the woods.

Monday, May 01, 2017