Guide to Historical Philadelphia

Guide to Historical Philadelphia is a 1.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 1.6 miles Elevation Gain: 22 feet Route Type: Loop

paved

city walk

historic site

For a mile walk with history at every corner, head to the Independence Mall and Old City sections of Philadelphia. Read through the waypoints for historical commentary on the sites you will see along the route.

My family and I walked about 1/2 of this trail, reading about five of the yellow dots together out loud. My two school aged daughters appreciated the history lesson and I appreciated the hints along the way of how much things cost, and what was “free.” We deviated from the tour in several places, like Franklin museum and the print making museum. We also entered the Second Bank of Philadelphia Ann’s Carpenter Hall. Overall, it was a great experience. Not at all disappointing and a fun family day.

Wed Aug 22 2018

This is the best walk in Philly taking you to all the major historic attractions. I extend it to the harbor and we walk along the river exploring Independence Seaport museum as well. I like it that Chinatown is nearby on Arch street as well so we went there for dinner.

Thu Jul 13 2017

Very interesting and full of important places. Lots of important history.

Tue May 30 2017

This historical walk is only good if you're a tourist, a Philadelphian that never stepped out of their zip code or just prefer the concrete jungle over the real beauty of mother nature.

Tue Feb 28 2017

Northern Libs to Olde City to Center Center to South Philadelphia!! One end to the other Walked From Girard to Reading Terminal Market, not hard on a beautiful fall or spring day. Tons to see.

Tue Feb 07 2017

sightseeing.

Thu Feb 02 2017

There is so much to do and see for history buffs. I did as much as I could in one day.

Thu Dec 29 2016

If you're in Philadelphia, you must check out as many stops in old city as you can. Philadelphia has such amazing history!

Mon Oct 31 2016

A must for every American history buff. Great to do with children.

Tue Nov 27 2018