Wissahickon Green Ribbon Trail

Wissahickon Green Ribbon Trail is a 12.2 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near North Wales, Pennsylvania that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

The Wissahickon Green Ribbon Trail is a suburban trail in southeastern Pennsylvania, United States. The " Wissahickon Valley Watershed Association" has preserved nearly 200 acres of land immediately adjacent to the Wissahickon Creek through conservation easements or outright ownership of the land.

I give this 5 stars because our house is on this trail- so - the very easy access for us

I just walked the entire trail with a good friend today. We started in north wales. I was very surprised at just how much of this trail is in the woods away from the crowds and streets. It is very nice how it stays close to the creek. The water crossings are easy thanks to the stones they have placed in the water to assist you. As long as you have a map of the trail you should be ok because there are a few places where you have to cross a road and pick the trail up a little on down the road. The trail is not very challenging but if you want a long hike through the woods you should take a day and walk the whole trail.

Love this trail. I am on it almost weekly.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

My buddy John and I hiked a 9 mile section of this trail. It was a very hot and humid day, and although the trail is basically flat, we were beat by the time we finished. We parked a car at the golf club lot in Flourtown and staged John's car at the Gwynedd Valley Post office. The hike winds along the Wissahickon Creek and crosses several bridges, including nicely constructed stepping stone bridges. The trail also crosses several roads, making it easier to do a shorter hike if you want to. A local gem. Give it a try.

Monday, July 18, 2016

I love this trail for it's hidden convenience and for the ability to jump on it at several different locations. Mainly in the easy category with a few moderate up and downs along the way. Did the 10 miler that Tony Juliano described below a few weeks back. It originates at Parkside Place Park in Upper Gwynedd Township (go all the way back to parking lot next to or behind pool) and ends near the bridge on Skippack Pike (Route 73) at Ft Wash State Park. I tend to move along while hiking so it only took me 2-1/2 hrs (with no stops) to complete. Have at it.

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Nice, easy creek side trail. Minimal hills. Mostly paved trails, with a few short dirt trails in between. A few scenic spots.

I started an out-and-back route from the Fort Washington State Park parking lot by the Hawk Observation Deck. Then, I took the shortest route to the Green Ribbon Preservation Trail and headed southwards.

A few hundred feet down the trail, there's a train underpass where you walk along side a steadily flowing Wisshickon Creek, which provides some nice scenery.

About a mile southwards, the trail splits. If you head left, you'll come to a long, well constructed pedestrian bridge that spans the Wissahickon Creek. It's worthwhile to walk across.

Then, I retraced my steps to where the trail split and continued southwards on the Green Ribbon Preservation Trail until I reached Stenton Ave (where the trail ends). I turned around and headed back to Fort Washington State Park on the same route, stopping on the Hawk Observation Deck on my way back, which provided a cool scenic overlook of the surrounding landscape above the treeline.

A nice, leisurely walk. Pretty much the only worthwhile trail around Fort Washington State Park.

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Great trail in the "burbs" outside of Philly. The north section is 10 miles, running from North Wales south to Fort Washington State Park - can be extended another 3 miles using the Wissahickon Trail in the park itself.

The weather was wonderful, sunny with temps in the 60's, there were only a few muddy spots en-route.

A really nice early spring workout.

Saturday, October 19, 2013

I love this trail. We usually start in Fort Washington State Park and walk all the way to where the trail dead ends at Mathers Road. Around, I think it is about 10-12 miles, but we usually start a little away from the trail so we also hike to the trail through Washington State Park. It can get muddy if it has been rainy but I love that you have to cross the creek a few times and the trail constantly changes. It's almost like a puzzle the first time you walk.

Thursday, July 04, 2013

We hiked the area by the wissahickon watershed association headquarters . We took the trail to Germantown Academy and back. Very serene and peaceful by the creek!! The trail is flat with some small bridges. The only obstacles were a stream crossing with narrow stone steps and an area where you needed to climb a ladder. Although the crossing/ladder was fun, older people might be turned off. A nice little trail to get close to nature without having to take a long drive!

Monday, October 01, 2012

good, nice and easy trail. if your new to trail riding and looking for a good place to ride this is it. it is very well maintained and lots of fun. if want to step it up a little there is a great trail about 10 miles away called wiss valley green.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

perfect for a day hike, the trail is easy with nice views also.