Great Gorge Trail

Great Gorge Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ohiopyle, Pennsylvania that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice hike out to cucumber falls will do this one again.

After some searching, I located the trailhead at the Cucumber picnic area. Near the beginning, a bridge is washed out so you do have to cross the stream. I enjoy doing that though! A little further, you'll cross a road and eventually end up at Cucumber Falls. From there, I'm not sure which way you're supposed to go. I walked down to the fall and then back up. There were two trails that lead up a hill, but neither were marked so I turned back as I had already been hiking for a few hours. The park service really needs to step up their game when it comes to marking their trails.

We started at Ohiopyle and went to Cucumber Falls, then Great Gorge, to Kentuck, to Johnathan Run, to GAP. It's about an 8 mile loop and beautiful! The last 2.8 miles is flat and easy.

Beautiful waterfall

nice and enjoyable. arrive early as later in the day can get crowded.
we will visit again.

Awesome experience

Started at Kentuck trail which led to Great Gorge Trail. Loved the streams that followed and the open views. When we came to the opening on flat land after walking down hill, it put us at Allegheny Passage Trail. We crossed the trail over to the gorge loop so we could go down by the river and sit on the rocks. There were also little mini waterfalls along the route. At the end of the loop we were met with Allegheny Passage trail with the bridge off to are left and we crossed the path to to get back on the Gorge Trail(note: the path travels to Pittsburgh one way and the other way which takes you on a bridge over the river takes you towards OhioPyle's town where there are shops, restaurants, rentals, restrooms, etc). Once on Gorge Trail, we hiked parallel to the river and then were met with Cucumber Falls. We took the stairs down past the falls and continued along the trail which eventually led us to an open field with a cabin where we walked up a small incline towards the road and then turned left to go towards OhioPyle's town for a food break.
Tips:If you are prone to getting bit by mosquitoes, were bug spray or what I recommend are either Natrapel bug wipes and Avon skin so soft bug wipes. Especially Avon skin so soft bug wipes. They even make ultra plus. I've used this brand locally and on trips out of the country such as to Africa and never get bit while wearing them. Typically if I don't wear anything, I even get bit just sitting on my porch approximately four or five times. The smell dissipates and it's not very strong to begin with.
Because this trail is close to the river in some parts, there's an increase of bugs compared to some other trails.
Second tip: Yes, wear hiking shoes/boots. I wouldn't have worn anything else for this trail. In some places you might hike through mush, be brushed up against plants, or be stepping over downed trees along the path.
Third tip: Being in shape will help you with this trip. At least being a regular walker with balance. I don't recommend the whole trail for young children.
Overall, I'd hike it again especially for the scenery:)