Governor Dick Observation Tower Loop

Governor Dick Observation Tower Loop is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lebanon, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

historic site

Park at Clarence Schock Environmental Center. 200 ft to the right of the Center building is the trailhead for Trail 15, marked with a white diamond blaze. Continue 2.6 miles to end of Trail 15. Turn right onto Trail 13 (green diamond blaze). Continue on 13 to second wye. Turn right for 100 ft to abandoned road. Turn left; follow the yellow rectangle blaze. This is the Horse-Shoe Trail. Continue to follow yellow rectangle blaze back to Environmental Center.

This trail is incredibly well marked and well maintained. A beautiful walk in the woods. Easy for kids.

pretty well maintained trail. parts of it are extremely technical but definitely a fun ride.

Loved the place.

Lots of intersecting trails here that are marked by numbers. If you go make sure have a map with the trail numbers listed on it or find a trail head sign with the map and take a picture of it. The trailhead I started at didn't have a picture of this map, but the actual fire tower location had the numbered map. Did 7.5 miles and I would return on a non rainy day to some of the bouldering that's available at 2 different locations during the loop off trail.

Around perimeter then up the tower somehow gave me a fantastic 7 miles.

It's a total of an EIGHT MILE loop (not 6.5). That last mile and a half left us in the dark. :(

Very nice hike. I hiked clockwise, which puts the moderate part more than half way in. Trails #13 and #15 were very enjoyable.

I did a little more than the suggested trail (total 7.5 miles), and I absolutely loved how well marked/blazed everything is. The tower itself was a little disappointing, mostly because I wasn't expecting to climb metal ladders all the way to the top (that wasn't the problem) infested by stink bugs! I barely stayed at the top, just because my face was being assaulted by the bugs.

It's most likely my fault that I went the day after it rained and when the weather was a little warmer than usual. Great trail though!

Was a good trail.

it was a very pretty trail, relatively easy good for beginners, would hike it again.

Wow challenging but awesome. One of my first excursions in trail running. Loved it

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Easy walking fun to climb the tower. My 3yo and 5yo went with my wife and I. Go Trail 2 going up and 1 coming back down.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Great hike! Clearly marked trails with lots of options. The tower was challenging for me to climb only because I'm not a fan of tight spaces or heights but once at the top it made it all worth it. The views are nice!

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Good mix on the South loop of boulders, hills and flat.

Friday, March 10, 2017

I was here on a rainy day but did the tower anyway and it was worth it. Saw a bird called a chukar partridge (which i had to look up, new to me) that was not afraid of humans and was just going for a walk as I was. I got like 10 feet away from it but it was quick on its feet and never flew.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Trail 15 is rocky and more difficult than the rest of the loop; mountain bikes are allowed, but not horses. Horses are allowed on Trail 13 and the Horse-Shoe Trail. At about a mile before the end of this hike you will enter briefly into Mt Gretna Heights. If you want a break, there is a restaurant with a deck in town (right at 4th, right at Pine, left at Kauffmann, right at Boulevard). If you have time, take Trail 1 to the observation tower.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

I came to visit my friend in Lebanon with the family, nice weather today, definitely wanted to get out of the house, good place to break a sweat

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Great place to hike with the dog or go mountain biking! Climb up the tower for a view of the valleys. Mountain biking is not really for beginners. Previous 1 star review should be removed because if you have some trail experience you can easily ride the entire loop without walking the bike! Beginner rail trail is located across or down the street depending where you park.

Saturday, November 26, 2016

My wife, stepson and I did the entire 6.5 mile loop, including a stop at the tower; it was moderately difficult because we hadn't hiked in awhile, however the challenge was enjoyable and the weather was perfect.

Thursday, October 06, 2016

Easy access and great trails for hiking. Kids loved it.

Saturday, September 17, 2016

If you enjoy walking your bike often this is the trail for you. majority of trail is impassable while mounted on the bike due to high density of roots and loose rocks on the trail. This should not be listed as a bike trail. if it let me, i wouldn't even give it 1 star

Thursday, September 01, 2016

Cool trail

Thursday, August 04, 2016

Excellent mix of difficulty. Watch when it rains as the rocks are very slick and try to run with lower tire pressures. Everytime I am in town I enjoy these trails. From the Nature Center go trail 15 to 13 to 5 to 9 to 6 to 5 to the end (I think, may have missed one.) Make sure you grab a map at the nature center - it helps a lot!

Saturday, July 23, 2016

I wanted a challenge, and I got it. some parts of the trails are easy with small rocks or dirt and others are very difficult with boulders, crevices, and twists and turns. Different trails for different wants and needs...perfect.

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Great family fun

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

This hike was really good, I used to do it all the time. It's a little bit on the longer side but it's a nice hike. The view from the top of the tower is also very beautiful

Sunday, July 19, 2015

I love this Place, great trails well marked for Horses. make sure your horse is in good condition to do this one. horse needs boots or shoes as parts of the trail is rocky. Great ride. Down side is many mountain bike riders. Bugs can be pesty too. take the Off, and spray your horse before the ride.

Tuesday, June 09, 2015

Awesome trail for a run.

Sunday, May 11, 2014

did 7.5 miles great hike !