Golden Eagle Trail

Golden Eagle Trail is a 8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Cammal, Pennsylvania that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and nature trips.

This trail is beautiful, well blazed, and very rewarding. This trail can be very difficult depending on your fitness level. So just be sure to start early and bring water.

By far one of my favorite trails in the area. If you take anything from this review WEAR PANTS!!!!! The bottom portion of the trail (by the creek) is covered with Nettles!! For those that don't know what they are its a plant that causes a stinging sensation when it comes in contact with human skin. Bearable but I would not recommend anything but pants! Also watch out for snakes. We ran into a few black and rattle snakes. Also a bear, but he didn't seem too concerned with humans. I recommend parking at Utceter Station Parking lot. An access trail is right there. When you come to the fork in road I recommend going up first. It gets all of the uphill out of the way and then the loop back is mostly flat along the creek. Plan a day around it, pack a lunch, and enjoy the beautiful views!

The hike I would say is easy level trail. Once you get to the top the view is spectacular. Last time we ran into a cougar so be mindful as there are an unusual amount of them in the area.

Nice hike with great vistas. Saw a group of rattle snakes sunbathing on a rock along the trail.

The trail is 9.7 miles, not the the 8 that's listed here, otherwise a great trail. Unfortunately the creeks were all dry so it wasn't as scenic as expected but the overlooks and vista made up for it. As others have mentioned there are lots of rattlesnakes along the trail so keep an eye out. If going counter clockwise as others have suggested your first mile will be entirely uphill but the view at the top is worth it and it's mostly downhill the rest of the way.

Make sure you follow orange marks at all times, there are other trails throughout the loop portion of this hike. Was a very nice and enjoyable morning hike. Tough beginning incline, but I promise the viewpoints are worth the pain your calfs will go through. Bring bug spray, the lower level portion of this hike was very buggy.

Loved this hike for its scenery and physical challenge.. Agree with the other postings in that the counterclockwise track is definitely the best way – get the ascent out of the way. It's been dry lately so neither of the runs had much if any water flowing. Really need to watch where you're walking. Came across one timber rattler about 2 feet off the path. Fortunately, they're rather docile unless threatened and it just ignored us as we slowly walked by. Can't wait to do this hike again!

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

WEAR PANTS. That is my biggest advice. Hiked this is beginning of June and regretted wearing capri's, there's no escaping the nettles!! Itchy but not harmful. Google maps will not be correct on taking you to the trail. Park at Clark Farm/Utceter access area, access to the trail will be right across the road (it is labeled) I recommend going right when you come to where it splits off. You'll get the really hard stuff out of the way (but frankly ALOT of it was hard stuff) Also be aware of your surroundings at all times. Encountered a bear, a rattlesnake, and a few black racer backs. None will harm you unless you threaten it so be very careful where you walk, especially around the rocky areas. Best views by far that I've seen in PA and has some great little waterfalls walking along the creek. I recommend giving yourself about 5-7 hours of daylight to hike it. I'm 5'2, 130 lbs, exercise at least twice a week and still only completed it in 6 hrs (added in time for pictures/avoiding bears/lunch time) Last but not least WEAR PANTS!

Monday, June 06, 2016

I read a great review on PAHikes.com that gave a great description of the trail going counter-clockwise. I highlly recommend going through the trail that way! I am in pretty good shape and it took me about 5 1/2 hours, including a stop to eat lunch at one of the vistas. I agree with bug spray and long pants.

Friday, April 29, 2016

Great trail! Definitely able to challenge yourself!

Monday, April 18, 2016

This trail is really cool just know that there is a .4 mile connection trail and when you come to where the loop starts go right it's a lot better than going straight.

Monday, April 18, 2016

Great hike!

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Great hike

Saturday, December 12, 2015

I've done this trail twice, once in early spring, and the other this fall. There's a reason this is called one of the best day hikes in PA. You get to see all our amazing state has to offer. The trail offers a pretty nice feeling of wildness and remoteness, you only see the road (rt 414) once at the one vista, otherwise you feel like you're pretty far out. I will continue to use this trail for its own, and as a way to get in shape for longer and harder multi night trips.