Golden Eagle Trail

Golden Eagle Trail is a 10.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Cammal, Pennsylvania that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Very well marked trail. The trail is definitely moderate, with one steep up hill portion that is pretty brutal due to tumbling rocks. We hiked it yesterday on a beautiful day and had to stop many times on the uphill portion. If you only hike the Golden Eagle Trail, and don’t go up to the Ravens Claw lookout, the trail is only 9 miles. We didn’t hike up to that lookout because we had the dogs with us and many people have said there are a lot of rattle snakes up there. We didn’t see any snakes, but heard one let out a warning hiss while we passed a big log on a sunny portion of the trail so we quickly moved along. Wear good waterproof hikers and long pants if hiking during the summer months or you will be very itchy and uncomfortable for most of the hike. I learned this the hard way. Great hike. Easy to find, nice parking area, and very well marked. Lots of places to filter water as well.

Those nettles are no joke. Seriously, you will plow through gauntlets of them. I rounded a corner at around the 9 mile mark and was perhaps 25 yards away from the largest black bear I have EVER seen! It was a day to remember...

First off, this NOT A MODERATE TRAIL! This is a difficult trail and I'm a pretty experienced hiker. We went clockwise. You enter the trail at 6 o'clock, the vista this trail is known for is around 3, so if that's all you really want, then go counterclockwise. This is a 10 mile hike round-trip and all bets are off for what you think your typical hiking pace is because so much of it is up, up, up. My calves haven't been this sore since I hiked to Phantom Ranch at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. The trail is narrow. I don't know how we would have passed other hikers at certain points - mountain going up on one side, the other is a 100+ foot drop to the creek below. Wear good, solid hikers, use hiking poles and take lots of water. It took us 7 hours to do this hike, with maybe 1 of that for stopping. There are very few places to sit for a breather, so when you come to one, take advantage of it. At times the trail is in the creek and lots of creek crossings. If you're prepared and know what to expect, you can enjoy the trail.

Well marked trail, absolutely beautiful! Make sure you where proper footwear, treking pools are beneficial as well. Watch where you step ,especially near rock formations ,timber rattlesnakes are a common sight. Along the trail you will be crossing streams easily over 20 times, so you can't be afraid to get your feet wet!

Great day hike for sure! I’d say it’s moderate to difficult depending on your skill set. Didn’t see many animals, LOTS of chipmunks, so be careful..... do NOT get caught up in the Chip-Pocalypse! All jokes aside it was a blast, I took it counter clockwise as most people suggest. Only saw 2 other hikers. Bring plenty of water! There are some nice shaded places to have lunch in the valleys about 4-5 miles in. I’ll definitely do it again when there’s full canopy.

Can't wait to do it again! Recommend pants and bug spray. I think my children scared away any wildlife for miles around. The dog even slept on the way home. They all have been very quiet and calm. Oh, wait! They are sleeping and it is a little after 9pm on a Saturday.

Nice hike, you cross a small stream back and force many times so wet feet could be a problem if the water is running good. My GPS tracker said it was a 10.08 mile hike. Hiked it the end of March.

Wow... pretty rugged trail. I did this hike 4/7/18 and the water was high which made crossing the streams a bit challenging. When I say crossing streams, I mean you’ll be doing it like 50+ times so waterproof boots are a must. I hiked counter clockwise... it’s quite the ascent to Raven’s Horn, what a beautiful vista! It was cold when I went so no sight of snakes. Tons of sticks and branches over the trail which will always get stuck on your boots or pant legs. The descent is hard on the knees. This is definitely what I consider a difficult trail, but worth the work. Also, it ended up at 10.6 miles for me.

Did this trail in late March of 2018. Beautiful trail! We did it counter clockwise and if you do it this way your first mile will be tough but well worth it. After that its pretty easy.

So good! Hiked the trail with a group of friends in June of 2017. The trail was beautiful and the views of the canyon were gorgeous. Also, we saw three different snakes, one rattler and two black snakes, so be careful where you put your feet! The trail crosses back and fourth over a stream at several points, one of us fell in, but with warm weather, that isn't a problem. Also the trail was more like 10 miles, not 8. We went at a fairly slow pace, stopping several times along the trail and it took us about 5 hours to finish.

We had a great time hiking this trail! I agree with the rest of the reviews: pants are a must. The trail is maintained but there's a lot of plant growth in this area. This is definitely a bit of a challenging trail so bring lots of water. The views and experience are well worth the exertion. An important note: you will come to a large rock (Ravens Horn) either at the beginning or end of your hike depending how far you go. The rock features a large vista and a popular photo taking spot. We saw 3 rattlesnakes in and around the rock formation, but we knew to look out there ahead of time. In almost every trail log entry there's a mention of snakes in this area. Keep an eye on the trail and the rocks, and consider keeping a safe distance from the rock itself. We chose to go counter-clockwise on the trail and I would probably go the same way again. Absolutely beautiful views, and good variety to the terrain of the hike!

Loved this trail. Not many people were on it and there was plenty to see. Can't wait to hike it again.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

This trail is beautiful, well blazed, and very rewarding. This trail can be very difficult depending on your fitness level. So just be sure to start early and bring water.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

By far one of my favorite trails in the area. If you take anything from this review WEAR PANTS!!!!! The bottom portion of the trail (by the creek) is covered with Nettles!! For those that don't know what they are its a plant that causes a stinging sensation when it comes in contact with human skin. Bearable but I would not recommend anything but pants! Also watch out for snakes. We ran into a few black and rattle snakes. Also a bear, but he didn't seem too concerned with humans. I recommend parking at Utceter Station Parking lot. An access trail is right there. When you come to the fork in road I recommend going up first. It gets all of the uphill out of the way and then the loop back is mostly flat along the creek. Plan a day around it, pack a lunch, and enjoy the beautiful views!

Monday, March 06, 2017

The hike I would say is easy level trail. Once you get to the top the view is spectacular. Last time we ran into a cougar so be mindful as there are an unusual amount of them in the area.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Nice hike with great vistas. Saw a group of rattle snakes sunbathing on a rock along the trail.

Friday, September 02, 2016

The trail is 9.7 miles, not the the 8 that's listed here, otherwise a great trail. Unfortunately the creeks were all dry so it wasn't as scenic as expected but the overlooks and vista made up for it. As others have mentioned there are lots of rattlesnakes along the trail so keep an eye out. If going counter clockwise as others have suggested your first mile will be entirely uphill but the view at the top is worth it and it's mostly downhill the rest of the way.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Make sure you follow orange marks at all times, there are other trails throughout the loop portion of this hike. Was a very nice and enjoyable morning hike. Tough beginning incline, but I promise the viewpoints are worth the pain your calfs will go through. Bring bug spray, the lower level portion of this hike was very buggy.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Loved this hike for its scenery and physical challenge.. Agree with the other postings in that the counterclockwise track is definitely the best way – get the ascent out of the way. It's been dry lately so neither of the runs had much if any water flowing. Really need to watch where you're walking. Came across one timber rattler about 2 feet off the path. Fortunately, they're rather docile unless threatened and it just ignored us as we slowly walked by. Can't wait to do this hike again!

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

WEAR PANTS. That is my biggest advice. Hiked this is beginning of June and regretted wearing capri's, there's no escaping the nettles!! Itchy but not harmful. Google maps will not be correct on taking you to the trail. Park at Clark Farm/Utceter access area, access to the trail will be right across the road (it is labeled) I recommend going right when you come to where it splits off. You'll get the really hard stuff out of the way (but frankly ALOT of it was hard stuff) Also be aware of your surroundings at all times. Encountered a bear, a rattlesnake, and a few black racer backs. None will harm you unless you threaten it so be very careful where you walk, especially around the rocky areas. Best views by far that I've seen in PA and has some great little waterfalls walking along the creek. I recommend giving yourself about 5-7 hours of daylight to hike it. I'm 5'2, 130 lbs, exercise at least twice a week and still only completed it in 6 hrs (added in time for pictures/avoiding bears/lunch time) Last but not least WEAR PANTS!

Monday, June 06, 2016

I read a great review on PAHikes.com that gave a great description of the trail going counter-clockwise. I highlly recommend going through the trail that way! I am in pretty good shape and it took me about 5 1/2 hours, including a stop to eat lunch at one of the vistas. I agree with bug spray and long pants.

Friday, April 29, 2016

Great trail! Definitely able to challenge yourself!

Monday, April 18, 2016

This trail is really cool just know that there is a .4 mile connection trail and when you come to where the loop starts go right it's a lot better than going straight.

Monday, April 18, 2016

Great hike!

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Great hike

Saturday, December 12, 2015

I've done this trail twice, once in early spring, and the other this fall. There's a reason this is called one of the best day hikes in PA. You get to see all our amazing state has to offer. The trail offers a pretty nice feeling of wildness and remoteness, you only see the road (rt 414) once at the one vista, otherwise you feel like you're pretty far out. I will continue to use this trail for its own, and as a way to get in shape for longer and harder multi night trips.

Monday, July 13, 2015

Amazing the ravens horn climb was a bit tough lots of nettles (July) but otherwise amazing. Easy not a lot of rocks and very very scenic

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Wish I had read these reviews before hiking the GET yesterday in shorts; those nettles really got me. Ouch! I also recommend the counterclockwise loop, to get the hard climb out of the way. Didn't see any rattlers or bears, but I did meet a turkey at Bonnell Vista, and we scared each other (about 10 feet away) real good. Nearly missed the sign for the GET to Bonnel Run (also says The Saddle) off the road coming down from the Vistas and would have happily kept following the blazes down the road.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Favorite trail yet! Went in early July...recommend bug spray and long plants (knee-high stinging nettle through large portions of trail). Beautiful views, definitely worth the few scares we had (run in with angry momma bear, counted at least a dozen timber rattlers at ravens horn, and detoured around copperhead blocking path). Very quiet, we were the only ones on the trail. Plan on hiking this trail often! Also recommend hiking counter clockwise, get the most strenuous portion of the trail while still fresh!

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Took advantage of an overcast fall weather day to check out this trail. It definitely shouldn't be categorized as easy. There are some pretty steep, slippery climbs. We didn't see any rattlesnakes but it was a little cool and damp. We did see three deer on the trail. The views were amazing. The area where the trail is located is beautiful. When we got to the car and started heading out, we even saw a small black bear!