Glen Onoko Falls Loop

Glen Onoko Falls Loop is a 1.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September.

Have done all the loops here and it’s one of our favorite hikes. Can get a bit crowded but it’s quieter near the top. Verges on climbing in some parts — wear good shoes and bring water.

My husband and I started hiking 3 years ago and have done trails at both Acadia and Rocky Mountain National parks (I highly recommend both!) but I was surprised that this was one of the hardest hikes we've done! It ascends pretty quickly and is steep, narrow and slippery. We used our hands for a lot of it but it was a blast and the views were stunning! The falls are such an impressive hidden gem in PA. the beginning of the trail was crowded but thinned out the higher you climbed. It's sometimes hard to see where the Trail leads. Trail sneakers or hiking boots are a must. Will definitely do this again!

absolutely beautiful! also, really deficient trail markings. someone buy a can of orange paint!
and has already been said, not treacherous if you don't go off-trail.

Get yourself some micro spikes if you plan to see the frozen falls. It was a lot of fun and I’ll be back.

Based on a lot of other reviews and blogs I've read, I was initially somewhat nervous about doing this hike. However I found it to be way less intense than described. Granted it is still a very physically demanding and difficult hike, but I would not say you're in any immediate danger unless you intentionally disregard well posted signs and boundaries. You will want to take the orange trail up- this is where all of the rock scrambling and careful footing takes place. But much easier up this trail then back down. There are 3 beautiful larger waterfalls to see, with many smaller ones along the stream. If you want to make a loop out of it, take the orange trail up past the 3rd waterfall. (There's a somewhat hidden path with markers to the right) You will see a open space with an old fire pit area. From here you can take the red or blue trail back to the parking lot. (They intersect about halfway down) I would not recommend taking the orange trail down as it is very steep and rocky and fairly busy. We are a fairly active group and we managed to finish this loop in 3 hours with only a few stops. We went on a Saturday and unfortunately the weekends are notoriously busy so we found ourselves waiting in line to move up the trail at some points.
We also took our dog on this hike which seemed pretty debatable from some reviews. If your dog has hiked before or is fairly active and aware of careful footing, you should have no problem with them joining you on this hike. I would definitely recommend them to be harnessed and leashed though. On most hikes we let ours offleash but I would not recommend it here. Honestly it was super important for her to be close to us as she rock scrambled and jumped up the orange trail. There were definitely some areas where she couldn't quite make a jump up and I was able to catch her by her harness and give her a boost up. Had she been too far ahead she might have fallen backwards and really hurt herself.
Overall a great hike, try to go earlier if you're going on a weekday.

Gorgeous view and steep climbing!

Sunday, May 07, 2017