Glen Onoko Falls Loop

Glen Onoko Falls Loop is a 1.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September.

Based on a lot of other reviews and blogs I've read, I was initially somewhat nervous about doing this hike. However I found it to be way less intense than described. Granted it is still a very physically demanding and difficult hike, but I would not say you're in any immediate danger unless you intentionally disregard well posted signs and boundaries. You will want to take the orange trail up- this is where all of the rock scrambling and careful footing takes place. But much easier up this trail then back down. There are 3 beautiful larger waterfalls to see, with many smaller ones along the stream. If you want to make a loop out of it, take the orange trail up past the 3rd waterfall. (There's a somewhat hidden path with markers to the right) You will see a open space with an old fire pit area. From here you can take the red or blue trail back to the parking lot. (They intersect about halfway down) I would not recommend taking the orange trail down as it is very steep and rocky and fairly busy. We are a fairly active group and we managed to finish this loop in 3 hours with only a few stops. We went on a Saturday and unfortunately the weekends are notoriously busy so we found ourselves waiting in line to move up the trail at some points.
We also took our dog on this hike which seemed pretty debatable from some reviews. If your dog has hiked before or is fairly active and aware of careful footing, you should have no problem with them joining you on this hike. I would definitely recommend them to be harnessed and leashed though. On most hikes we let ours offleash but I would not recommend it here. Honestly it was super important for her to be close to us as she rock scrambled and jumped up the orange trail. There were definitely some areas where she couldn't quite make a jump up and I was able to catch her by her harness and give her a boost up. Had she been too far ahead she might have fallen backwards and really hurt herself.
Overall a great hike, try to go earlier if you're going on a weekday.

Gorgeous view and steep climbing!

Sunday, September 07, 2014