Glen Onoko Falls and Lehigh Gorge Overlook Trail

Glen Onoko Falls and Lehigh Gorge Overlook Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

cave

Great hike but not very well marked in some places and crowded at most of the falls points. Follow the shoreline of the river until you get to the mouth of the stream. Start to head up the stream on the right side and eventually you will get on the orange trail (you'll see markings on the rocks). This route requires a little bit of hands and knees crawling under brush but it makes for an adventure. Once you're on the trail it is easy to follow. The falls are beautiful and the water is very refreshing. The top of the very last fall is now blocked off due to people falling. Continue up the orange trail and you will find yourself looking at a sign with a large fire pit on the left. You can take the red trail (turn right at the sign) back down. This trail is not very well marked especially at the bottom so beware of your general location. Beautiful trail with many picture points for the waterfalls. You definitely need good hiking shoes and some water...there's some uphill on the rocks that gets tricky and can get you winded but it is absolutely worth it!

Breathtaking beautiful. Next time I go back, I will be sure to wear hiking shoes. The trails are quite difficult, so be sure to be prepared for a challenge!

I drove 6 hours from Cleveland to hike this and some others in the area and this has become a new favorite of mine. I highly recommend hiking up the orange route which is hiking up the falls. From the parking lots, go down the steps to the first trail sign and make a right, go under the bridge and maybe 100 yards later you'll come to a split. GO LEFT which is hiking up the falls. It's more challenging than hiking the other route but FAR more rewarding. There are places to stop and relax/take photos the whole way up. Wear hiking shoes! If you don't take the orange route up, I feel horrible for you - going down the orange route has to be awful (slippery and much more steep). I'm not a waterfall enthusiast so I was a bit reluctant to "waste" my time on this one but it turned out to be really awesome. The only downside to this one is that it's got a ton of people on it, maybe the most of any "hard" trail I've done to date. WEAR HIKING BOOTS - you'll regret it if you don't. Enjoy!

Gorgeous falls! Be sure to wear hiking shoes! I recommend hiking up next to the falls first as coming down on the wet rock would be more difficult.

Amazing hike up the Falls! We went to the left of the loop so hiked up next to Falls first....absolutely awesome views and great hiking! I will definitely hike this again!

Be sure to wear hiking boots! beautiful trail and exciting climb.

We did the trail in reverse (going up the falls first). The views of the falls are amazing, although the climb up is moderate difficult.

My discrepancy with this trail is the lack of sufficient markings. We got mildly lost 3 or 4 times after reaching the top of the falls.

Make sure you have a map and compass.

Beautiful trail! Felt like we were in the Last of the Mohicans. Definitely take the trail clockwise as climbing up will be easier than climbing down the rocks along the falls. Not difficult ,but we had to plan how to cross at spots and watch footing in wet and icy spots. Wore hiking boots with great traction.

Great trail with amazing views. Agree with other reviews about it being a moderate trail. Stick to the trail and you'll be fine.

Amazing. Absolutely amazing. Not a hike for beginners but I definitely wouldn’t rate it hard. More like moderate. All the falls are absolutely breath taking. If you’re using your phone for pictures I recommend bringing a portable charger because you will need it with the amount of pictures you’ll take! You could easily get away with wearing sneakers. Just some parts are a little slippery and there’s still patches of snow and ice. But overall 10/10 will 100% be going again soon!

Absolute breathtaking hike! Quite a challenge with most of this hike being rocky slopes. I like to do this backwards where you hike to the falls vs. seeing the falls first. Wear shoes with good grip and slip resistant. Get there early as it gets crowded, and dont forget your cameras!!!!

Definitely not for beginners but an amazing trail nonetheless with beautiful views.

Great hike

My favorite hike in PA

A blast when it’s not crowded

I went on 1.27.18 and the ice was starting to melt. Challenging but beautiful hike. when you get to the trail head stay to the left because you get a better view of the falls

I loved this hike. It rivals my hikes in the grand canyon of Pa. Highly advise that you take the loop trail clockwise. This is a better way to see the falls and it is safer to fall going up if you slip. We went yesterday before it warmed up (28 degrees) and had to use traction spikes in certain areas. I would recommend waiting til warmer temps, but if you do it in the winter where there is ice be very careful!

challenging and beautiful falls view entire way.

Very challenging hike, winter time there was so much ice on the trail we kept slipping and falling. Wear good hiking boots with traction on the bottom. We hiked the entire loop, so at the beginning of the trail we took a right. It was super steep and tough. When we got to the ridge line it put us on top of the falls then we worked our way down from there stopping at each of the different fall sites. Hard hike but definitely worth it, beautiful!!

Super fun and scenic hike with waterfalls all the way up! I would rate this more as a medium difficulty rather than hard. I went in mid-April last year which was perfect weather. Would recommend going around this time.

can you safely take this hike without crampons?

Went with the hope of seeing the falls frozen and was not disappointed. Some spots can be a little tricky with the ice but that's to be expected, especially when everything has a coating of snow on it. Bring some Yak Trax or another type of crampons.....they make a world of difference when hiking in winter weather.

excellent little loop trial. 4 miles with a few awesome waterfalls and a great overview of the gorge. cold and snow covered which may have kept the hikers away or it may have been multiple warning signs of death.

Does anyone know if there is snow on this trail or if it has become slippery within the last few days?

This was absolutely one of the best hikes i've been on, it can be trecherous at times so watch your footing especially at the falls but it was beautiful.

Breathtaking beauty. Difficult climb but well worth it. We have a real good time.

Gorgeous view and steep climbing!

Beautiful

One of my fav places to hike

love this hike. It's hard and amazing!