Glen Onoko Falls and Lehigh Gorge Overlook Trail

Glen Onoko Falls and Lehigh Gorge Overlook Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

cave

Great hike but not very well marked in some places and crowded at most of the falls points. Follow the shoreline of the river until you get to the mouth of the stream. Start to head up the stream on the right side and eventually you will get on the orange trail (you'll see markings on the rocks). This route requires a little bit of hands and knees crawling under brush but it makes for an adventure. Once you're on the trail it is easy to follow. The falls are beautiful and the water is very refreshing. The top of the very last fall is now blocked off due to people falling. Continue up the orange trail and you will find yourself looking at a sign with a large fire pit on the left. You can take the red trail (turn right at the sign) back down. This trail is not very well marked especially at the bottom so beware of your general location. Beautiful trail with many picture points for the waterfalls. You definitely need good hiking shoes and some water...there's some uphill on the rocks that gets tricky and can get you winded but it is absolutely worth it!

8 minutes ago

Great views here, wow! Thought this was going to be alot harder than what it actually was..(due to all the reviews here) very enjoyable hike and a great workout! Went clockwise up the falls.
If you look at Google maps before you go and plan your trip you shouldn't get lost. You can always pop on maps real quick and find your approximate location. Just follow the falls up^^^

We did this hike last minute. The trail is hard to follow at places, but the views are unbelievable. Loved that we could get right up to the falls.

Awesome trail with waterfalls. ✌

AMAZING

Great hike with great views totally worth checking out!

love this hike did it last year 2017

Great experience. Be careful.

From the start of the the Glen Onoko Trail, we followed the red marks on the trees (should have had more signs), got to the top and did not see the falls! Disappointing! Saw a sign for James Run! Very annoyed at the lack of signage!!!!! Enjoyed the challenging climb though! Started to retrace our steps and luckily ran into a couple of other hikers who pointed us toward a sign that said Best Route to Falls. My heart is happy now that I’ve seen the beautiful falls! Definitely a must see for all!

Great semi-challenging short hike. Can basically be as easy or hard as you wanna make it. We got off the trail and did a little rock climbing with the falls and it was a ton of fun! Quick enough that you can get out and enjoy nature and the views and still have time for other stuff in the day.

We biked from the train station which added some fun. At the top of the falls we got off course and ended up shaving a mile off of our distance which we were disappointed in. But that doesn’t take away from how amazingly beautiful this hike is. Add it to your list!

Excellent trail. This is where my hubby proposed.

I always go up the non-waterfall side as I find that more challenging. Rained on way down so a bit slippery by the falls. But so worth it. i never get tired of waterfalls and scrambling down rocks n roots.

We got stuck in rain, its tough going down in rain very slippery, had a blast tho, good times

Always a fun and challenging hike up the falls..slippery in spots...did a short run up the top of the falls only and back after work..a trail I do a few times a year

Good trail, was expecting larger falls and briefly got off trail, but overall great day hike!

Great trail!!! As some here suggested we went up "backwards" (ie; going up the falls side first). Great views, very steep and kinda treacherous in parts. The "rock gallery" is awesome. Saw 2 snakes within 10min. of starting so be careful. Overall, I really loved this trail, will have to do it again.

Great hike with a lot of UP in a short distance! Came across two snakes in the first 10 minutes of our hike, so watch where you step! Beautiful waterfalls and picture moments! Got to the fire pit at the top and took the red "tree flash" trail back down, although the trails aren't well marked at all. This trail down can be very hard on the knees as its a steep way down on stone stairs, so be careful! All in all a great hike!!

Wasn't marked too well once you get up to the top of the last gorge, but as long as you have all trails or some sort of map, you can figure it out. Waterfalls and mountain outlooks are wonderful.

Great trail, glad to have access to these sites near my home. Although at the top of the water falls, if you come up the falls, is very confusing. We attempted to stay on the trail as shown on this post but we ended up taking the red blaze trail that essentially cut the trip in half.

Hard to rate a trail any higher with so many people crashing about. Certainly some nice views and mostly well marked. Just way too many people. go early or go late

Loved it. Although it was cold day so wasn't very busy! Flew my Drone it was AWESOME!!

Breathtaking beautiful. Next time I go back, I will be sure to wear hiking shoes. The trails are quite difficult, so be sure to be prepared for a challenge!

I drove 6 hours from Cleveland to hike this and some others in the area and this has become a new favorite of mine. I highly recommend hiking up the orange route which is hiking up the falls. From the parking lots, go down the steps to the first trail sign and make a right, go under the bridge and maybe 100 yards later you'll come to a split. GO LEFT which is hiking up the falls. It's more challenging than hiking the other route but FAR more rewarding. There are places to stop and relax/take photos the whole way up. Wear hiking shoes! If you don't take the orange route up, I feel horrible for you - going down the orange route has to be awful (slippery and much more steep). I'm not a waterfall enthusiast so I was a bit reluctant to "waste" my time on this one but it turned out to be really awesome. The only downside to this one is that it's got a ton of people on it, maybe the most of any "hard" trail I've done to date. WEAR HIKING BOOTS - you'll regret it if you don't. Enjoy!

Gorgeous falls! Be sure to wear hiking shoes! I recommend hiking up next to the falls first as coming down on the wet rock would be more difficult.

Amazing hike up the Falls! We went to the left of the loop so hiked up next to Falls first....absolutely awesome views and great hiking! I will definitely hike this again!

Be sure to wear hiking boots! beautiful trail and exciting climb.

We did the trail in reverse (going up the falls first). The views of the falls are amazing, although the climb up is moderate difficult.

My discrepancy with this trail is the lack of sufficient markings. We got mildly lost 3 or 4 times after reaching the top of the falls.

Make sure you have a map and compass.

Beautiful trail! Felt like we were in the Last of the Mohicans. Definitely take the trail clockwise as climbing up will be easier than climbing down the rocks along the falls. Not difficult ,but we had to plan how to cross at spots and watch footing in wet and icy spots. Wore hiking boots with great traction.

Great trail with amazing views. Agree with other reviews about it being a moderate trail. Stick to the trail and you'll be fine.