Glen Onoko Falls and Lehigh Gorge Overlook Trail

Glen Onoko Falls and Lehigh Gorge Overlook Trail is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Great hike but not very well marked in some places and crowded at most of the falls points. Follow the shoreline of the river until you get to the mouth of the stream. Start to head up the stream on the right side and eventually you will get on the orange trail (you'll see markings on the rocks). This route requires a little bit of hands and knees crawling under brush but it makes for an adventure. Once you're on the trail it is easy to follow. The falls are beautiful and the water is very refreshing. The top of the very last fall is now blocked off due to people falling. Continue up the orange trail and you will find yourself looking at a sign with a large fire pit on the left. You can take the red trail (turn right at the sign) back down. This trail is not very well marked especially at the bottom so beware of your general location. Beautiful trail with many picture points for the waterfalls. You definitely need good hiking shoes and some water...there's some uphill on the rocks that gets tricky and can get you winded but it is absolutely worth it!

Hiked this trail during the summer time, went on a really nice warm day! Perfect, not to hot. Completed the trail in about 3 hours, it was a slippery trail around all the rocks because of the water. I wouldn't necessarily say it's hard. The whole trail itself is beautiful, offers nice scenery for great pictures!

Went here for the first time today beautiful place. I was the only one out there and it was awesome. It’s not a easy hike I did the whole loop in about 3 hours. I had to use this app a few times because trailers are not well marked. Definitely recommend! Wear proper gear it may look like a short hike it’s definitely a challenge. excited to return there in the warmer weather.

My family of 6 LOVED this hike so much! It was challenging and fun for all ages, but we took extra caution and went slow with our 6 year old. The kids loved playing on the rocks and we were so impressed with the waterfalls. I highly recommend this hike! Wear hiking boots for sure!

Good trail, hiked this in the early fall to get ready for a trip to Yosemite. Waterfalls were great and was steep enough to get the heart rate up! Definitely recommended

Awesome trail hiked it today in the snow absolutely beautiful gotta hit it when there ain’t many ppl their cause it gets full

Definitely one of the best hikes I've ever done. Falls were amazing and scrambling up the rocks was a lot of fun.

AMAZING wish I lived closer. The falls are beautiful. Scrambling is a little tough but I was able to do it with my dog on a lead. Highly recommend.

Solid hike! I did this loop in about 3 hours, we took our time looking at the falls/outlooks. The waterfalls are quite steep and can be slippery, hiking shoes are best. I would not suggest going down on the falls side! Some parts of the trail are not well marked, so pay close attention once you get to the top of the falls.

Never Gets Old. Did the short loop this time out to the over looks and back down to trail down.
Trail over to Overlook isn’t marked very well..if it’s snow covered you’re lost if u don’t have this app..

Wow! Stunning yellows here right now. The falls are gorgeous, pictures don't do it justice. I'm so glad I took th loop clockwise like someone on this app suggested. It would have been much more difficult coming down on the falls side. I wouldn't suggest doing this in the rain as wet rock scrambling here could be dangerous. The overlook was awesome, don't miss this trail!

Amazing.

This was a fantastic hike. Very Scenic and very challenging. Highly recommended. if I were to do it again I would not take the back half of the loop though. Much better to stay along the falls and out along the ridge of the Gorge.

Not on a rainy day.

Great trail.

A great hike. I’ve waited a while to actually do this one because I always hear it’s just littered with people. Today it was pretty secluded and weather was good, plus we were in area. There are a lot of signs stating you’re going to die so there’s that. I 100% recommend a clockwise hike, starting with the falls trail first and coming down the steep side last. One thing I’ll point out, if you’re wearing the right gear and you don’t stand near the cliffs of the water falls and use good judgment, you’re not going to have a bad day. I can see why people get in trouble there, but they’re probably not experienced hikers. There are harder spots on the AT for sure.

This is a difficult hike up the falls, especially if it has rained the day before. Absolutely gorgeous falls as it has been a rainy summer. Plenty of places to get in trouble but well worth it. Go to the left trail loop to start as it is the most difficult. Enjoy!

Beautiful trail but highly trafficked.. I usually prefer to hike with less people but it was still a great time. Tough in spots, our friends came with us who don’t usually hike and they had a hard time. The waterfall and overlook were beautiful!

A wonderful experience. Getting to the trail is a bit confusing due to lack of signage but once on the trail it is clearly blazed. Lots of signs about the danger of the trail but if you use your instincts and don’t get crazy to get that outlandish selife, you will be fine. I would describe the trail as a 6 on a scale of 10. Take the stream side trail for the ascent for some great photos. Descent is easiest in the eastern side of the loop. Best to wear hiking shoes instead of sneakers but don’t miss out on this one if you don’t have shoes. Just be cautious. Plenty of stable foot holds. An athletic, non-whiny child with encouraging adults will have a “cool” time to tell their friends how brave they are.ENJOY!

Was AMAZING!

Good Hike with waterfalls. Very crowded. We were trailing people most of the time. Rocks are slippery so wear good shoes.

Been a couple years, but I remember this hike up along the falls as beautiful and very exciting. Some sketchy parts that were thrilling. Went after a heavy rain so mud and slippery conditions added to my anxiety. I remember wanting to turn back for safety reasons, but decided to stick it out and I’m glad we did. There were some questionable unmarked areas, but a good map helped us through. At the end, we enjoyed it, but would only go back in dry conditions.

I was very anxious to try this trail based on reviews. We’ve hiked most of the Pocono trails including some of the Appalachian Trail. I have to admit I couldn’t figure out the complexity of the hike based on what different people were saying. My husband and I consider ourselves in good physical shape, so we decided to give a try and see for ourselves. We took our nine months old Collie with us and I could tell at certain spots that she was more nervous than I was. We actually had to help her by pushing her up on rocks and I could tell she was confused as to where to go.

Lack of signage makes difficult to figure out certain spots where the trail was heading; but since the trail was very crowded we had no problems following others on the Orange trail. The falls are beautiful, gorgeous and worth the hard work. We wore hiking boots which were very helpful since the trail was muddy and slippery after the rain the night before. I would strongly recommend not to hike this trail after the rain and not to wear sneakers even pretty much everyone around us did. It took us about two hours to get to the top of the falls followed by a short hike up to where the fire pit is (on the left) and we made a right on the blue trail to go back down which was much easier. We decided not to do the whole trail , which would added a couple more miles to the trip.

Knowing now what I didn’t before, regardless the gorgeous view and spectacular water falls, I would think twice about doing it again. My husband thinks differently, according him, the rock climbing on slippery trail wasn’t that bad after all. I have to disagree.. Hopefully this helps others to understand the complexity of the hike and won’t scare others to much to try the same. After all, the view was worth the challenges, only you have to be in very good shape, wear hiking boots, and be very careful.

M. Bellenzeni

hard but worth it! side at the falls is very peopley

I love it.

Been hiking this trail for years. Today was a beautiful day to take the puppers out. Beware of snakes. Today Shadow stepped on a timber rattlesnake (a very large one at that) and it is a miracle she didn’t get bit.

Great trail to hike

My wife, pup and I hiked September 8th, 9:00 am, ~65 degree weather. It took three hours and was a terrific hike, but we really couldn't have been luckier with the temperature and the recent rains. The falls were beautiful and the air was clean permitting a great vista of the Lehigh valley. We went right on the Glen Onoko Loop up to the falls. It was reasonably steep up the ~1,000 foot climb and I imagine going left could be difficult. We had a dog so we didn't want to go the more difficult route, but we may have missed a few falls. If rain is a possibility, ankle high boots are a good idea. Otherwise, low cut hiking shoes aren't unreasonable. Apple maps won't take you to the correct trailhead. There is a sign on Main street for the falls, soon after you get off of North street that will take you in the correct direction.

very pretty hike! throughout the whole hike its stunning with tons of small waterfalls and beautiful rocks stacked up. the scene at one fall is pretty but be careful not to slip. the beginning is a little difficult to navigate but this app should help as well as "east coast hiker" just google that and he gives great directions in the beginning after that you'll start to see pink/orange markers which later turns into a green if you go right and I think blue if you go left? I'm not sure about left because if you go left it takes you through the whole trail, I was with my husband who got hungry

The trail is pretty well marked most of the way, certain areas didn't have markings but following the beaten path will get you back on track. Some slippery spots along the falls but overall pretty stable footing. Nice variety of difficulty levels and views, certain stretches of long uphill/downhill treks. Very rocky, boots with ankle support recommended. The overlook is not that large of an area, we lucked out being there without anybody else but it was worth the view. The Lehigh River Overlook is pretty well grown up with saplings and would not recommend stopping. Overall a good hike if you want to burn a few hours with a variety of difficulties. Recommend going earlier in the morning than early afternoon due to traffic

Great trail! Went on a busy weekend during the afternoon- the part of the trail near the falls was a bit crowded but everyone moved along at a good pace...markings were kept very well, and we loved the challenge in elevation changes. Definitely wear hiking boots and other clothes to change into if you are interested in going in the falls or walking through the streams.