Gerard Trail is a 12.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pittsfield, Pennsylvania that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 12.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,935 feet Route Type: Loop

This is a great hike. There are some amazing vista along this trail along with a few waterfalls. You can backpack this trail but camping is only allowed at the shelters. The shelters are very nice structures that have built in fireplaces. There is wood available for a donation. There are cross connectors that will allow you to do smaller loops. One of the cool things about this trail is the history of Oil Creek. You can see a lot of the old equipment used during the oil boom. Museum is closed on Mondays.

Great trail, we went almost 15 miles because we got turned around a few times. I would def rate it as hard though due to all the elevation changes and hill climbs. I would def do this trail again. Loved every bit of it.

Great hike but I would rate as difficult due to the elevation change.

recorded Miller Farm Road North Loop

Miller Farm Road: Suspension Bridge: Lower Miller Falls: Wolfkiel Shelters: Miller Farm Road

Hiked from the parking lot at the north end of the park, over to the road crossing Miller Farm Bridge and then back to the lot. Total 12 miles. Great falls (Boughton). A few steep hills but nothing to crazy. I love this hike anytime of the year.

Hiked a few miles in Oil City State Park, tracked and saw a fisher cat! Found an old cemetery (1800's), very cool. Ended up on Gerard Trail. Snowy and icy in spots, lots of leaves down. Want to go back to find some of the waterfalls.

the trail was pretty well kept, there were two places where we went off track and they were fairly easy mistakes to make where the app differs from the actual marked trail. saw mainly three or four unique places that included old equipment and two decent overlooks. overall a pretty good all day hike

This trail is literally in my back yard so I’m a bit biased. Everything is fairly well marked and you aren’t terribly far away from a road at any point so getting truly lost is hard to do. Be prepared for some pretty steep climbs and downhills. There are no railings so probably not a great hike for small kids. The majority of the hike is under cover of trees but there are a few spots that overlook the creek. A handful of small waterfalls are on the route but they are SMALL. I’d say the best part about the route is the history in the area and the museums/old oil equipment that speckles the area.

day one hike in at oil creek state park. cow run shelters.

Sat May 11 2019

First visit. Decent hike on a nice day. Trails definitely mucky in places so wear waterproof footwear. Waterfalls are just OK compared to other parks. Definitely a pleasant place. Might come back to try some other hikes. Definitely not crowded. Beautiful Saturday in May and passed 5 people in 10 miles.

Wed Mar 27 2019

Did a quick 8.3 mile loop late March 2019. Overall very nice hike and the trail was in good shape. Only a couple muddy spots but nothing we couldn’t get around. Absolutely beautiful day! First hike of 2019. :)

Mon Jan 07 2019

Probably the best marked trail system I've been on. Moderate trail in all seasons. The 6 mile Gerard Loop (red) is perfect for snowshoeing & running. About 95% of the trail is firm, even in wet weather. The remaining 5% may be 3-5 inces of mud/water. If you go in cold weather you may be the only one on the trail so prepare accordingly.

Thu Oct 25 2018

Truely deep woods PA...

Wed Oct 24 2018

to start out it was a wet rainy day hike, and it was 4 days after they held a 100 mile trail run...so it was muddy to say the least. Having gotten that out of the way, what a great track. I did the 12 mile loop in about 5 hours (would of been faster, but took a wrong turn....twice.) and had a fantastic time navigating the mud, the rocks, the steep switchbacks and everything else this trail had to offer. The complete trail is much larger then what's on this map and I am planning on completing it later next month. I fell in love with the character of the trail with in the first mile. You spend most of the time under the canopy of the forest all while moving along the side of the mountain with some pretty steep drop offs. If you are trekking this during the rain, take extra caution in your footing. One wrong trip could send you down a long way below. I slipped a couple of times, mostly on random wet tree roots. There are a couple of well marked scenic views, but unfortunately for me it was a foggy day and could not see much. The two camping areas have bathrooms and fresh water available. And I highly recommend spending the night at one of the shelters available at either Cow Run or Wolfkeil. What a way to spend the night out in nature. Sorry for the rambling on, but I enjoyed this place so much, my wife and I have already planned 2 more trips here for early winter weekend hikes and staying in the shelter.

Mon Oct 01 2018

Technical my dog and I went on a 7 mile hike and camped out at Wolfkiel. Didn't realize that we would have to listen to coon hounds, traffic, gun shots and fireworks. Not good when you have a dog with thunder phoba. Finally at around 3am we heard the sounds of nature. Owls, coyotes and the deer eating acorns right outside of our tent. Something threatened one of the deer as it was stomping and snorting. Oh well guess I won't be doing this trip again. At least the weather was perfect.

Sat Aug 25 2018

Great starter for first time backpackers!

Tue Aug 21 2018

Sun Apr 29 2018

Really loved this trail. The peak has a great over view of Oil Creek. Looking forward to the next hike!

Sun Apr 15 2018

This trail tracked as 13.7 miles for us. We had no trouble finding the trail at the beginning but we had some difficulty down by pioneer bridge.... and somehow tracked off course on a trail extension after also some confusion at the Miller Run Rd. Section. Some of the trail blazers are faded and the trails could use a few more signs. If we hadn’t been tracking using this app we would have been lost a couple times. That being said it is a great trail system. Lots of inclines and descents, beautiful scenery, and varied terrain. Will definitely be returning to this one!

Mon Feb 12 2018

It took me about 6 hours to do this trail in the snow with poor weather conditions. When you arrive in the parking lot with GPS walk under the blockade that prevents motorized vehicles from being on the path. Once your on that path you will come to a sign that points to the right that says Cow Run. Follow the sign until it comes to a T with a road. Go left until you come to the small cabins. To do the trail clockwise look between the restrooms and the woodpile lean to for the yellowish/orange markings on the trees. It’s a *very* well marked trail once you find it and get on it. I had trouble finding the beginning of the trail near the restrooms and lean to. There are some fun bridges along with beautiful scenery and a creek on this trail. I really enjoyed it.

Thu Dec 07 2017

Be wary, the Museum is closed on Mondays.

Tue Oct 17 2017

I don’t know where the description gets 36 miles but if you are looking for a full loop of the Girard hiking trail from trailhead to trailhead (starting at the Drake well museum trailhead) it’s about 26.5-27 miles with about 4600 feet of elevation gain/loss depending on what you use to track your hike/run. If you want a smaller loop you can do a five mile loop and there’s also a 12 mile loop option. These are my favorite trails to run (I live 1 hour away) and you can’t beat the gorgeous views. Some parts of the trail are technical with roots and rocks but quite a bit of it is runnable. It is also very well marked so it’s difficult to get lost. I STRONGLY recommend that if you’re in the area and looking for a scenic run/hike/walk that you come here!

Tue Sep 26 2017

This is a great hike. There are some amazing vista along this trail along with a few waterfalls. You can backpack this trail but camping is only allowed at the shelters. The shelters are very nice structures that have built in fireplaces. There is wood available for a donation. I believe you can also tent camp at the shelters but please check with the park office. I believe reservations are required. I hiked this trail on 3 different days. There are cross connectors that will allow you to do smaller loops. One of the cool things about this trail is the history of Oil Creek. You can see a lot of the old equipment used during the oil boom.