Gillespie Point

Gillespie Point is a 3.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Morris, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,030 feet Route Type: Loop

This app is on-point with the location of the trail head, however parking is difficult. We parked in the grass, right off the gravel road where the trail starts. The first mile or so is difficult (extremely steep and loose rocks). Once you get to the top, the view is awesome! As others have shared, once you get to the gravel road, turn to the right and follow it back to the trail head! This is where it got rough for us. We were with our dog, who handled everything like a champ, however we crossed the gravel road and followed the trail, down the stairs. We crossed the creek twice, which was nice and gave our dog a chance to relax for a minute, but we quickly realized that the trail, although well marked, was not what we were supposed to be following. We ended up logging about 3.5 additional miles, as we had to turn around once we realized how far off the loop we were. Overall, it was a great, scenic hike. Bring a walking stick and your hiking boots!

This trail was great! Had trouble finding the trail at first and where to park, but I parked in the Blackwell Access Parking Lot for the Pine Creek Trail. I saw others just park on the side of the road next to the trail. The trail is a loop that starts immediately when you turn onto the road next to the trail Route 414. The trail begins next to a sign that says Gillespie Point or something. You can also follow the road and then take the other side of the loop up to.the mountain which is what I did. That's the easier route. it was very muddy and the trail turned into a little creek because it had rained for days beforehand. The vista is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. So worth the hike.

We did a sunrise hike. Definitely intense getting up there, great hike and the views were totally worth it!

The Alltrails app put us right on the trailhead. Thank you for those who posted about taking a right at the dirt road to make it back to the starting point. Yes, this does make it a loop trail but walking almost 2 miles on a dirt road makes the hiking experience somewhat unenjoyable. Does anyone know what the distance of orange blazed trail is when you cross the dirt road and down the steps? A short distance down the hill there are a few small falls and you have to cross the creek a few times. We went out this section a couple of miles but did not finish. We came back to the dirt road and walked to the trailhead from there. We logged just over 8 1/2 miles.

Beautiful view! Steep start for a short distance but the whole way up. More gradual and very pretty descent. Ends with a lot of dirt road walking.

Wed Oct 17 2018

I parked at the Blackwell Access Lot and walked through town, past Miller’s Store-where you should definitely stop, to the trailhead where the MST climbs up to Gillespie Point, just off Big Run Road. The view is spectacular and I got to see a bald eagle soar just over my head! Because of where I parked, it was about 4.9 miles for me. I loved it and I think it is one of the best, short, day hikes in the area.

Tue Oct 16 2018

Great Views. Pretty easy trail for both me and my dog. Well marked. Just make sure you turn right on the road at the end instead of going down the steps. This will take you back to where you parked. Took about 2.5 hours to do the whole thing. My GPS tracked 4.7 miles total.

Tue Aug 07 2018

Steep climb to a great view and then a nice walk down. Look for the road and make a right when you get there.

Mon Apr 02 2018

I have hiked this a ton of times since I was a kid. I love this mountain, the views are incredible. Check out my full write up along with some things to look out for. http://www.eastcoasthiker.com/trails/gillespiepoint/

Sun Mar 18 2018

Wow... quite exhausting on the way up... it kicked my butt. As soon as you think you’re at the top, there’s more to climb. The view makes it so worth it though! If you do the loop you can turn right when you intersect with the old logging path to cut off some time or continue following the blazes and turn right when you hit the gravel road (Big Run Rd). The road does seem to go on forever though. Also, the loop was closer to 4 miles for me. It’s well marked, I’ll definitely be back.

Sun Mar 18 2018

When you reach the road stay on it. Wish it was marked better at the road.

Sat Feb 10 2018

Amazing hike and view! We did it in about 2 hours with 8 inches of snow in the ground.

Tue Jul 04 2017

Great view at the top. about 1000 feet of elevation is right in the first mile. nothing too steep tho. Completed 3.6 miles in just over an hour

Tue May 30 2017

Nice view at the top. The trail was a little confusing at the end. Don't go down the steps and just stay on the road and everything will work out.