French Trail

French Trail is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Elverson, Pennsylvania that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, horses, and mountain biking and is best used from December until February. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Some views, quiet woods, lots of up & down, interesting rock formation. This hike explores most of the trails in the eastern portion of Pennsylvania's French Creek State Park. Before hitting the trailhead, visit the Park's main office (accessible from the South Entrance, off PA 345, a couple miles before the trailhead) for a trail map. Miller's point, an easily climbable rock formation affords limited views of the Schuylkill River valley only in the winter and early spring before the foliage reappears. Many of these trails are also shared with mountain bikers, so be alert.

Nice walk, few areas of incline and rock scrambling but overall was not hard at all. went to Millers Point but couldn't see much. well marked trail and well maintained. Lots of dead ash trees such ashame. Would recommend

It was a awesome ride hit it in early April and the bugs weren’t too bad yet great technical ride

Snow caused our loop to be an out and back. Philly is 50 but there is 6 inches of snow Out here!!!

Great Park for hiking

I'm conflicted reviewing this trail.

I think it's a perfect length for a decent weekend venture that doesn't eat up the whole day (like a trip to the Pinnacle or Hawk Mountain), but it is by far the most "buggy" trail I hike -- and I hike a lot of trails in this area.

At French Creek, there is little difference between wearing repellent and not wearing it. By wearing some bug spray, you might not get bitten, but getting bitten really isn't the problem here, it's bugs continually landing on your face, hovering by your ears and dive-bombing you. The last three times I've been here I've spent at least 90% of my time needing one hand free to act like a windshield wiper for my face.

Folks, I'm from Florida and so I grew up with buggy trails, but French Creek feels like it was transplanted from the swamp lands (even though only some of it's terrain is mucky) and set in the hills of Southeastern PA.

I recommend this trail in the Fall and Winter, but by Spring and Summer I always finish the trail pissed off by the nuisance.

Definitely longer than 6.5 miles. Tons of forest views that are pretty but not much else. Wear tons of insect repellent - the little gnats are annoying!

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

kinda a boring trail. bugs attacked my fave the whole entire time. some of the trail is a little rocky and with the leaves covering them, you could definitely hurt your ankles.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

It was awesome!... Except for the bugs that were bothering me the whole time, even I wore repellent

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Amazing trail ! So much to see and discover with all the art on the rocks and huge rocks you can sit on in the creek.

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Nice

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

I did a partial hike of this trail on an unseasonably warm mid-December Saturday afternoon and only encountered a handful of people. I started at Scotts Run Lake and did about four miles. Nice trail, mostly flat with a couple small hills - nothing notable but time spent in the woods is time well-spent in my opinion, so I was happy to be there!

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Leaves were slippery but the beat in paths and small burms were still fast and surprising dry. Rock gradens are tough for 26"

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Beautiful park. It is a local favorite.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

I did this in mid-July, but the lake makes it a little cooler.

Friday, May 29, 2015

I have come here my whole life started out feeding the ducks and fishing. As I grew- hiking, camping and playing disk golf. It is and awesome place for the whole family!!

Monday, May 25, 2015

Awesome trails year round. Some gravel but mostly dirt paths with lovely sunset views around the lake.

Monday, April 20, 2015

Peaceful place to hike!

Saturday, March 21, 2015

I was just out today. Trail is Very muddy but that is really to be expected. One of my favorite parks because it's big enough to enjoy some peace and quiet.

Sunday, August 10, 2014

most enjoyable state park I know...very very clean and well kept...yes trail markers could use help..but GPS takes care of that..check my videos on YouTube under "polishpicl" on this park.

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Walked this area with young teens. Was peaceful and rather easy- but TONS of poison ivy so I would suggest wearing long pants! . Added visit to furnace which extended the trip a bit.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Beautiful park! But if you are not used to the trails or do not have a handheld GPS the chances of you to get lost are very high! The trails are very poorly marked. Their map is outdated and only gives you an idea of where to go. The trails are also in bad shape with lots of trees laying across them. I got so lost and found three more hikers that had no idea where they were.
The only good thing about that hike is that it help me to make my mind about getting a GPS (of course my iPhone had no reception there).

Friday, May 30, 2014

This park is huge, the trail outlined and directions given are to the mill creek trail, there is a wide vehicle sized track for the first (and then last) mile, then a vary important choice. I went left at the fork and was very glad for it, there is a Verry long, steep hill and unless your are really ready for a challenge it is better to go down it. I plan to go up it in the fall, when the temp is cooler and I am in the best shape. This trail is very popular with bikers, so beware. The trail is beautiful and you wont find too many people at the bottom, but quite a few at the top. There is a lot of very wet, rocky terrain, so wear very good shoes. The park offers many other trails easy to (what the state considers) difficult, a pool, two lakes, great fishing and wildlife, camping. Well worth the trip.

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Great hike and if you add the Hopewell Furnace, you will make it a longer hike. I did the Boone trail with no difficulty at all. Very nice hike that is quite peaceful. I do recommend sturdy boots, as you will encounter some rocky terrain. Overall, nice close hike that will be come my quick go to trail!

Friday, February 07, 2014

Trail shown is demanding for mountain biking, but extremely fun if you like a challenge and technical riding. You will be pushing some uphills. In the park, there are many other less demanding trails than the one shown. Get a map before heading out. Downhill blue Boone trail is a sweet, moderate difficulty. Try yellow for the easiest trail. French Creek is my favorite ride in the region, a "must do".
How about a better description of the trail shown. Like trail names and blazes (like Racoon = red, etc.).

Friday, May 10, 2013

Disregard for Neighbor's Property Rights

A portion of the Big Woods trail is being built over private property without the permission of the property owners. French Creek State Park and DCNR are using a private dirt lane meant for farm equipment and an easement dating back to 1912 that was meant to allow access back and forth between the two farm fields by the owners of those fields. The easement does not state that the lane can be used by the public or that the lane can be excavated in any way.

The planned trail will cut the property owners land in two and block access via motor vehicle to a portion of their land. French Creek State Park never contacted the property owners to discuss the trail until the owners approached the Park after their vehicles were seen traveling on their property. When told about the trail, the property owners tried negoiating other options with the Park for over a year and a half including moving the trail to the edge of their property or buying the piece of land to be used. None of the proposed options suited the Park and they stated that they would move forward with the trail as planned.

French Creek State Parks complete disregard for its neighboring property owners rights is unacceptable.

Sunday, November 11, 2012

fishing there is fun also

Saturday, June 02, 2012

Hiked around the perimeter of the lake with 2 dogs & 4 small children (ages 2-6), mostly easy & beautiful surroundings!

Monday, April 16, 2012

started at the Shed Road parking area... green trail, orange, blue up to firetower, blue down, yellow, then a mix of blue/yellow/green to get back to parking area... approx 10 1/2 miles total... no maps at parking area i started from, would reccomend going by ranger station to get map b4 starting, many different trails in the park, i made a 1 1/2 mile mistake along the way..

more like a walk in the woods, you can make it as long or short as u want,.. no special views or outlooks, as i read before going views are better when there isnt foilage,... trails are marked and maintained very well, just get a map before heading out...

Monday, April 02, 2012

Started out on Shed rd. Followed Mill Creek trail to the raccoon trail to the Lenape trail back to the Mill Creek trail to finish. Nice peaceful hike. 1 o2 steep hills but not to strenuous. Came across ruins and a staircase made from rocks.

Sunday, October 09, 2011

Alot of great trails and make sure that you tour Hopewell Furnace while your there