French Trail

French Trail is a 6.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Elverson, Pennsylvania that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, horses, and mountain biking and is best used from December until February. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Some views, quiet woods, lots of up & down, interesting rock formation. This hike explores most of the trails in the eastern portion of Pennsylvania's French Creek State Park. Before hitting the trailhead, visit the Park's main office (accessible from the South Entrance, off PA 345, a couple miles before the trailhead) for a trail map. Miller's point, an easily climbable rock formation affords limited views of the Schuylkill River valley only in the winter and early spring before the foliage reappears. Many of these trails are also shared with mountain bikers, so be alert.

I'm conflicted reviewing this trail.

I think it's a perfect length for a decent weekend venture that doesn't eat up the whole day (like a trip to the Pinnacle or Hawk Mountain), but it is by far the most "buggy" trail I hike -- and I hike a lot of trails in this area.

At French Creek, there is little difference between wearing repellent and not wearing it. By wearing some bug spray, you might not get bitten, but getting bitten really isn't the problem here, it's bugs continually landing on your face, hovering by your ears and dive-bombing you. The last three times I've been here I've spent at least 90% of my time needing one hand free to act like a windshield wiper for my face.

Folks, I'm from Florida and so I grew up with buggy trails, but French Creek feels like it was transplanted from the swamp lands (even though only some of it's terrain is mucky) and set in the hills of Southeastern PA.

I recommend this trail in the Fall and Winter, but by Spring and Summer I always finish the trail pissed off by the nuisance.

Definitely longer than 6.5 miles. Tons of forest views that are pretty but not much else. Wear tons of insect repellent - the little gnats are annoying!