Fred Woods Trail

Fred Woods Trail is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Emporium, Pennsylvania and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice hike. Trail was well marked and well traveled on this Sunday afternoon. Definitely, take the rock loop trail to experience the geologic features of the trail.

Great trail! We did the whole loop. Around 6 miles. Would definitely recommend and also come back to do it again!

Awesome views! The trail is in great shape.

amazing views , cool rock formations, and clearly marked. Saw plenty of wildlife. Be mindful where you are stepping, and be on guard for timber rattlesnakes . Great hike, and to add to it's appeal, we saw noone else on the trail! can't wait to do it again!

I have hiked this trail twice now, and plan on coming back with my wife and small daughter. It is a level hike most of the way with a lot of laurel. The rock formations at the far end of the loop are fascinating and the vistas are very nice. The trail is very well marked. I did see a rattlesnake on one trip and I am sure there is a good chance of seeing many more, so some caution is advised.

Beautiful trail and wonderful fall hike. My fitbit said it was about 5.5 miles. The "Rock City" part was pretty cool! There was a dead elk in between the two tall rocks you walk between at one point! The two lookouts are stunning as well. I wore hiking boots and I'm glad I did because of the amount of rocks on the trail.

Awesome trail, well marked and great for beginners. Elk and whitetail deer are plentiful for extra viewing pleasure. My 8 year old son and I completed the loop in under 3.5 hours.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

This trail has some of the most beautiful vista views I've seem. I plan to do it again in the fall when the foliage is in full color. The rock loop is incredible also. The only drawback was that several portions of the trail were rather rocky so you had to walk with you head down so you wouldn't stumble.

Sunday, May 08, 2016

I love this trail! My family has made so many memories hiking on this trail and climbing the rocks that are alongside the path! Definitely recommend!

Wednesday, July 08, 2015

was a fun trail to hike. not hard on the body and seeing the rocks and vistas was great lots of neat rocks to climb on and explore. it took us about 3and half hours to complete. oh it had great markings too.

Tuesday, October 07, 2014

5 stars for the views and cause its an absolutely wonderful trail. it had great markings and lots to do. we found a buck pocket knife and dobby's home geocache. great for a day hike.

rock climbing
Monday, September 15, 2014

Very fun place to boulder climb. Rocks are located about halfway around the loop. lots of different rock formations from 5' boulders to huge 20'+ boulders

Saturday, July 13, 2013

A very nice trail. Hiked with a group ages ranging from 7-71. Dogs enjoyed it too, but bring them water, very little to none on trail, depending on recent weather. Large boulders a couple miles from trail head, made for some nice pictures. Only made it to one vista, another nice photo op. Trail head is clearly marked and is several miles up Mason Hill Road (a non-paved, narrow road). Mostly flat trail until a couple miles in.

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Hiked this with my son today. Took us a little less than 2.5 hours. Great views! Windy and Snowy.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

All around great trail. Level for the most part and it was marked well. We went left at the start of the loop. Go right if you want to see the rocks before the vista. The vista would have been great if I could have stopped, since it was pouring and flashing lightning I didn't go out and expose myself in the opening. Twice I got down on my knees to get low when the lightning flashed and the thunder roared at the same time. By the time I got to the rocks the rain had stopped and we (the dog and I) explored a little bit before the rain started again and forced us to get going again. This took us three hours but I packed in a lunch so we could stop and enjoy it before the rain, plus several stops so I could water the dog. Would recommend doing this on a dry day and taking the time to spend checking out the rocks. The linear trail to the loop is .7 miles and the actual loop is 3.05 according to the signs.

recorded Fred Woods Trail