Flat Rock Loop Trail

Flat Rock Loop Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lower Mifflin Township, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Tough hike with a nice view at the end. The trail starts near the amphitheater area of Colonel Denning State Park. Wear good boots, and bring plenty of water this hike is a workout.

Park has closed the amphitheater area & campground, along with their parking. Trail head is now in parking area above swimming lake. New connector to Rattlesnake Tr, which then connects to Flat Rock Tr .5mi above original parking lot. New route is well marked & in good shape.

great workout and view

Definitely a hard hike! Wear good protective footwear and bring hiking poles if you have them! One of the best hikes in Pennsylvania! Give yourself atleast 2.5hrs total. You gain 1400 ft in elevation. I would not bring a dog.

No lie, this is tough. I’m in shape and I was soaked and tired at the top. There were some down trees on the trail that we needed to climb over or go under. Also slightly overgrown but the view is worth it all. Best central PA vista

Fantastic view. A bit steep at parts but I wouldn’t consider it hard. Not your typical walk in the park though.

Great hike. The trail has been updated to offer a challenging or preferred path. With two kids (9 & 11), we went up challenging came down preferred in 2 hours and 10 minutes!

Great hike with a very rewarding view. Allocate 2-3 hours if you plan on spending time at the overlook. A little muddy in the spring, so wear good boots.

Took the challenge trail, and stopped at several points along the way up to catch my breath, but the view at Flat Rock is spectacular and well worth the effort! Took my dog with me, he's nearly 4 mos and he loved it too! Highly recommended by people and pets :)

A challenging but amazing trail. I haven't been here in a few years and they have updated it to include a choice in difficulty as you head up the mountain. Views are phenomenal.

Difficult hike in the beginning, had to rest a few times up the initial steep incline. The vista at the top was beautiful. We had lunch at the top and enjoyed the view before continuing on to Tuscarora trail, then Lehman trail, Warner trail to Cider path and then walking down the road past the lake to get to the parking lot. I highly recommended this trail!

One of the best vistas I have seen in PA. Deffinitly a hike to check out. Nice and vigorous up hill as well.

Hard uphill but amazing view at the end makes up for it

Amazing view of The Cumberland Valley on a clear day. Around mid June there is a large section of blooming mountain laurel mid way on the hike. It’s like walking through a pink cloud.

Trail was in good condition. It has some long strenuous stretches but well worth the view in the end. I will not do this trail in the summer as I hate snakes. But November is awesome.

Beautiful view at the top!

Hiked this today. Absolutely beautiful Vista. Well marked trails.

Rewarding view!

Definitely a good workout for a gorgeous view at the end.

Great Hike. Bring lots of water because you are hiking up the whole way. I would say this is a moderate trail. I'm glad we didn't bring our toddler. It would have been difficult with her on our backs or walking. The view was breath taking ❤

A grand view awaits you after a rough and Ricky uphill climb.

I've done this hike twice now. I regret it every time until I get to the top. Worth it.

This was the right amount of challenge and a nice view at the top. Trail is maintained well

Tough! All up and all down... but worth it!

Challenging hike with a great reward at the end.

make sure to wear hiking shoes, they will hug ur feet for stability and you'll be able to walk up the incline better. bring plenty of water and some snacks for the overlook

The first part is difficult but then it starts to even out, amazing trail of u like a challenge

So this trail is slightly changing it seems. We went up the normal steep way with rock stairs and steep inclines, but then we ran into a trio of men today who were working on the trail. They are adding (almost completed) two side trails to help ease this trail. The first is yellow blazes that starts before the access road and eliminates the steep incline and the stairs around the pump house. We came down that way and it will be a lot easier when making your way up. The second new trail is before the steep incline that is before the "wagon wheel" intersection of trails. Although these act as switchbacks and may be a little longer in length, these will make it more accessible to more people. The view from the rock is rewarding and amazing. I don't know if there is a better look out in the area

Silly question is it open July 4?

A little bit of everything,(boulders, flats, soft, stoney) with an amazing view at the top. I like this trail so much I return once every year.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Very steep climb. Definitely had to take a few breathers. Beautiful view at the top!