Learn more

Emerald View Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.3 miles Elevation Gain: 367 feet Route Type: Loop

This is a GTEAT workout. It has great views of some of the Burgh (5% of the trail). Maintained OK. Only thing we didn’t like is the 5 blocks on the street heading Grandview Ave. Saving grace is that is where the sites are. Little mud but not bad. Definitely where long pants.

closed

This trail is closed due to a landslide

Really enjoy being able to be isolate in nature with a great view of the city!

Nice trail above the city of Pittsburgh. Trail has some steep drop offs, but nothing dangerous. Not really dog friendly. You can cut off the trail and walk up to the overlooks of Mt Washington. Well marked.

Nice easy trail close to the city - you can year cars whirring by the entire time underneath you, as you are at a high elevation. Most of the dirt trail is wet narrow and steep at some parts but overall easy to maneuver. With the recent rains caught a few patches of mud so don’t wear your favorite sneaks. Part of the trail you are walking along a residential street but it’s right near the city overlook so a decent tradeoff if you’re looking for the city view. Don’t recommend if you only want to hear the sounds of nature

We started down but I decided to head back because it’s narrow in parts with significant drop off’s. My boyfriend wanted to continue on and will hopefully be able to do this trail with someone else another day. Beautiful views from up above. Would use caution if taking young children.

I enjoyed this trail a lot. I’d recommend it to anyone who’s not afraid of heights. A few areas have a steep drop off as you’re walking. Loved the chance to experience nature while looking across to the urban landscape. Sincerely, The Rural Juror

Decent short hike. Even though it hasn't rained in a few days, still significant amount of mud. Views would not be as good in the summer, I'm sure. I guess I expected more from the trail. The best part is indeed the portion below Grandview Ave. Still a nice change of pace. I might come back. Parking is much better on Greanleaf than on Republic, since Republic is narrow, steep, and has no official lot.

Nice trail in the city. I did not like the part that follows the street, but we would have missed the best part if we had just turned around and gone back. Also we did not know to take the Rutledge connector and we got on another trail and had to turn back. But everyone was tired and muddy, which indicates a good time! Good views of both woods and skyline.

Lovely trail so close to downtown with amazing views of the rivers, downtown and the North shore. Best views are with the leaves down. A few muddy areas that were slippery with the downed leaves. Parked on Republic near the trail entrance there, so the street section was last. The dogs loved it.

Relatively little known trail featuring the premier view of the Steel City. One of the best you can do within pittsburgh limits.

Not overly marked but the app helps you stay on track. It’s homey. Will do again.

I really enjoyed this trail. I never would have guessed that there was a trail on the hillside of Mt. Washington.

I can't wait to do this trail again. Going the opposite direction next time. The views and the trails terrain made walking up Republic St, after the first part of the trail, to Grandview Ave to reconnect to the trail was worth it. It's a fairly long walk on Mount Washington's streets but like I say, the views made it worth it. I saw views of Pittsburgh I've never seen before on this trail. You also need to pay attention on this trail and be in decent shape.

Great on mountain bike...really challenging in spots

Great views

Impressive urban trail with great views. Ideal for trail running minus a few muddy spots. It’s best to do half of the loop and backtrack. I don’t think it should include the streets as part of the trail. If you are visiting Pittsburgh, I’d say start at the George Washington statue.

Waste of time. Half of the route is walking on streets. Very little woods to walk through.

Sat May 18 2019

Trail ended in someone's back alley

Sun May 12 2019

Sun Feb 17 2019

The portion of the trail that ran close to the river was very nice. Didn't care for the section that went thru the neighborhoods. Beautiful views though at Grandview. Great photo op of the City and it's bridges.

Fri Oct 19 2018

Not too difficult, not too easy either. Love this trail though as it is super close to my home.

Sat Jul 21 2018

it was a nice mix of terrain. a good workout and beautiful views

Sat Apr 21 2018

Some great views of the city. Well maintained trails, but need to hit aome streets to loop back.

Sun Feb 18 2018

Hike this almost everyday. Almost never see anyone. Excellent path network

Wed Dec 20 2017

A bit littered and muddy, but to be expected in a city hike. Nice views. Have to cross the road once or twice.