Don Harrison Community Trail

Don Harrison Community Trail is a 5.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Murrysville, Pennsylvania that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A trek starting at Townsend Park and ending at the Walter Nature Reserve. This trail travels from easy to difficult. It crosses bodies of water as well as roads. Takes about 2 hours without stopping.

Heavily overgrown, inconsistently blazed, lots of downed trees, and (today at least) waterlogged and extremely buggy for much of the way. This hike was so miserable I elected to walk back along the road. I started at Walter Nature Reserve and pushed all the way through to Townsend Park. The most confounding spots were where the trail crosses private/residential land; Landowners (I assume) have put up signs admonishing hikers to "stay on the trail", but the blazes aren't visible due to absence or heavy overgrowth. The overgrowth and infrequent use means that in these ambiguous situations it's frequently not even apparent where the trail *might* be. I did lots of aimless wandering around. If you're going to do this one, wear gaiters and/or heavy pants to protect your legs from the prevalent thorns. FWIW, I didn't hear any shooting, but like the other reviewer, I went on a weekday morning, so probably not a peak time for the shooting ranges. I was eventually able to make it all the way through, but this trail needs a lot of work.

Thursday, June 26, 2014

This park is really close to home, and great for a quick hike. There's a lower path that runs along a creek (which I love!), and I didn't hear a single gunshot, though I was only there until about 10:30am on a weekday. There's also a wider, more level trail that runs atop the small valley, which you can incorporate into a loop (as opposed to turning around and walking the same path back).

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Ticks! Not very scenic, and next to a couple gun ranges. Constant shooting.

Sunday, January 01, 2017