Dehart Dam Loop

Dehart Dam Loop is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Spechty Kopf, Pennsylvania that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I get lost easily, and the reviews made me a little nervous about tackling this one. I can see how it would be easy to get turned around, particularly at the transition points. I didn’t have a problem, though, and if you keep your head up and your map open you should be good. The blazes are when you’re on the trails themselves, but there are quite a few downed trees that block the path.

It was very much worth visiting. There were two good uphill scrambles and one tricky steep downhill, if you’re going counterclockwise. No sweeping vistas, but wonderful foliage in spring. The trail was also completely deserted; I only saw one person on the AT section, and I started at 10am on a Saturday. The quietness meant I saw way more fauna than usual, including a red-spotted newt, deer, a porcupine, chipmunks, and a wide range of birds. If you’re a moss nerd, too, there was a great variety of that as well.

The wire bridge was a lot of fun. It’s two steel cables strung across the river, one to hold and one to walk on. Look up and down the river and you should spot it. There are also trees you could cross on if you’re not feeling up to it!

trail was awesome. blaze can be seen but didn't know how to stay on the correct trail. there were no "go this way for this trail" a mix of blue orange and red trail blazes. took the blue trail up the steep mountain. wasn't sure if we were still on the correct trail, so after three hours, turned around. took us one hour to get off the mountain.

other than that it was a nice, never traveled trail.

wire bridge was awesome!

This has become one of my favorite hikes after doing it! The stream crossing is tricky to find but awesome when you do find it! If you have a dog joining you for the hike, he/she must be okay with water as they must swim across the creek! Trail is poorly marked in some areas and about 10 trees cover the path on part of the trail as well, but that was fun! I only had to use the AllTrails GPS a couple times. Very steep and rocky and just absolutely gorgeous! Cannot wait to do this trail again!!

Awesome stream crossing, but hard to find my first time there. I ended up wading through the water instead because I didn't know where the wire bridge was located. Easy to get lost without a GPS but a very much untouched and pristine hike. No spectacular view at the top, but the rock scramble and exciting scenery along the way make it well worth the journey. I do wish the trailhead was better marked.

Great workout and good adventure. Difficult crossing streams after rain, and A little confusing around water crossings but the trails are well marked so keep looking. Trail head marked by a red A. Red to blue to white to blue to red.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

overall the hike was pretty good. pretty steep uphill if you start this trail heading east then south. biggest complaint was when you're on the blue trail heading towards the AT, after you crest the hill and head down through the woods the blue trail went into about a 15-20 foot wide section of Rausch creek. we couldn't cross it so we went up stream to cross and then couldn't find the trail again even with GPS. after about 30 minutes of bush whacking we found the AT and the rest of the hike was nice.

Saturday, April 01, 2017

Made a left instead of a right at some point and encountered some steep hills. Was a great challenge. I pulled my partial dentures out and placed them in my pocket for a moment and ended up losing them. If you see some teeth on the ground scoop em up and I'll reward you handsomely.. Lol

Thursday, March 30, 2017

Great hike! Lots to explore! Sand Springs, Mine vents and the General

Thursday, March 09, 2017

got mega lost somehow. fun until then ,ha

Tuesday, March 07, 2017

This was a fun hike! Even in the rain. The wire bridge was a little tricky to find and the trail needs a bit of love but it was well marked. Red to blue to white to blue to red. Go check out the General!

Sunday, February 05, 2017

A very tuff trail in certain spots, watering hole at the top is crystal clear and cold on a hot summers day, this one was a gasser for me and the girl. Great scenery and history.

recorded DeHart DamLoop

recorded stone tower to sand spring

Saturday, June 03, 2017