Deep Hollow and Schreffer Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(25)
Weiser State Forest

Deep Hollow and Schreffer Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Elizabethville, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.3 miles Elevation Gain: 902 feet Route Type: Loop

I think the trail suggestion is a bit misleading. 1st the Double Track is called Iron Mine trail and goes uphill from the parking lot. It is wide and easily walked but uphill. Scenery is beautiful. We took the Rock Ridge trail which is really rocky with lots of loose stones, Even with good boots this was changeling so we branched to Wolf Pond Road. Unfortunately we then took Wolf Pond Trail back towards the parking lot. Big mistake, very rocky and long. Should have taken Deep Hollow back. So I would recommend Iron Mines - Matter Trail - Deep Hollow for this "easy " hike. We did it clockwise.

Nice hike. However the track is a bit inaccurate. If you are going counter clockwise, where Rocks Ridge tr meets Rattle-Creek tr do not follow this track all the way to White Oak Rd. Instead you need to turn left at the Iron Mine trail jct. There is a post marking this. If you get to White Oak Rd you've missed the left turn. Follow the gravel path down the hill. If you are going clockwise I don't think you will have an issue. We started around 8:40 am, took 3:46 min. and measured 6.75 miles. Only saw 5 bikes, not hikers.

Didn't really expect any views on this so was pleasantly surprised by the open area toward the top of Deep Hollow Trail and the wide area you could see out. Only the Rocks Ridge Trail part of this loop is actually in the woods and is very appropriately named as there are plenty of them, but are more the pretty moss-covered kind. All the rest is nice easy wide old road. Had done this part early and was rainy so didn't run into the busy mountain biking. The part AllTrails has labeled as "DoubleTrack" is actually Iron Mine Trail. A good part of this segment has a huge area of cleared/burned trees, but is to the benefit of the trail user since it provides a great open view of the surrounding mountain.

The trail is mostly access roads with a small portion through the woods. It’s all very nice. I only gave it a 4 because there was significant bike traffic on it which is allowed I just prefer to hike on trails where I’m not avoiding lots of bikes

Gradually increases in elevation until you get to the top, some steep parts but overall pretty manageable. Trails are well maintained and easy to follow. No mud, no major obstacles. could easy make this a longer loop if you want.

I love this trail. great view and very peaceful.

recorded Recording - Apr 14, 12:43 PM

Sun Apr 14 2019

did not finish. not sure if we came durring a mountain bike race but was tough to hike. mountain bikers flying down every 1 minute

Tue Jun 19 2018

Wed Mar 21 2018

The name of the trail is decieving... You're not hiking on only Deep Hollow and Shreffler, but you cut across on Rock's Ridge Trail to Shreffler Rd from Deep Hollow. I then took Iron Mine Trail off of Shreffler to return to the parking lot. That loop was just short of 7 miles.

Sun Aug 20 2017

This is a nice trail, but I wouldn't rate it as easy. If you are new to hiking or someone who is out of shape trying to get healthier, then this trail may not be the one for you. The trail itself is pretty easy to follow, but we did end up getting "lost" since it's not clearly marked when you need to take another trail in order to complete the loop. We hiked about 4 miles in before deciding to turn around and head back to the car since we weren't sure what trail we needed to take. Over all, though, it was a good day!

Sat May 11 2019