Learn more

Darlington Trail Loop is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 777 feet Route Type: Loop

There is no trail east of Blue Mountain Parkway as the map suggests. It is private property. Beware of friendly, fluffy, brown dog!

Nice wide trails. Went a week ago and it was very busy. Many different trails to take. You can make it short or longer. This was a good time of year to go....no bugs.

A nice network of wide walking trails for simple outdoor walk with some hills. The east-side of the park where the trails cross and go along the power line clearing is the more scenic area. The trails are mostly old dirt/gravel roads and super easy. Most of the elevations are very gradual except for the brief steep hike up the power line to the top (views to both sides of mountain). If looking for more rugged type trail, I recommend taking the switchback trail up/down to the top (not highlighted on this trail, but is alternate to the straight up Upper Spring Trail). It starts off as usual wide dirt road, but then gets narrow and real rocky once you turn to start going upward. Has some occasional rock steps and all.

Well marked and maintained. One power line vista

Heavy rains this morning, so the trail was wet and obviously had a lot of water runoff. Chose to go straight for the top - ran into more cobwebs and overgrown path than we were anticipating. Beautiful nature and a very quiet day (not many hikers) but decided to head back down before the top. Overgrown and wet doesn’t make a fun hike (and dummy me wore shorts, not expecting overgrown trails).

nice hike but crazy buggy when I went on a humid day in July. would be much better in fall or winter.

Gnats are horrendous. I sprayed down pretty good with bug spray but even 25% deet was no match

Great trail, peaceful, beautiful, but the gnats were INSANE and relentless. Cut a small branch off a tree with leaves on it to wave around your head, otherwise the gnats will get the better of you.

this was a nice hike. it was fairly humid when we went so the bugs were out in force. some sections of the trail were also fairly overgrown. otherwise, great views and very peaceful.

Some parts were a little overgrown but not bad. There are definitely some steep portions with views, along the power lines like some else reviewed. I think it parts for everyone. Closer more graveled paths lead to more overgrown narrow ones.

Good for pets. Saw people fishing and heard people shooting on a hunt. The hills weren’t bad at all, but I would also consider myself an intermediate level hiker. Few insects, wonderful wildlife sounds (aside from the gunshots). Took us about two hours to complete, although the recording shows only half of what we did. Did it on a rainy day with not much mud at all expect for one spot which I have pictured! Can’t wait to go back on a sunny day with my friends.

Mon Dec 31 2018

Nice trail. Steep start but don’t be deterred it levels off. Massive amounts of water on the trail right now

Sat Dec 29 2018

Clean trail, lots of scenic overlooks with pretty little waterfalls.

Wed Oct 24 2018

Not a bad trail system. Only real views are along the power line part. But since this area is designed for x-country skiing you have wide, well marked trails.

Thu Oct 18 2018

Went out yesterday about about 930 am and no one was there. Good trails. Don't miss the turn at the top of the trail though. The down hill was pretty technical but definitely do-able. Beware of the hunting/hunters

Mon Oct 01 2018

rocky but fairly flat on the combined pink and light blue trail blaze. It was midday, lots of poison ivy so keep to trail unless covered well for bush whacking lol. I heard the rush of water from creek along my left side just a few bird calls not many sounds. Damp terrain some slippery rocks, iavoided any hilly areas,used walking stick for support. Good place for some reflective walking. Did see about a handful of people along the way.

Wed Aug 15 2018

We did a short part of trail. Was beautiful even though we got a little lost and it rained! Wear sturdy shoes and note that areas can be wet.

Sat Jul 28 2018

my dog and I Iove this trail. not busy and gets the heart rate going! so pretty in the fall!

Thu Jun 28 2018

Great hike! At one point a black bear crossed the path in front of us. That is the second time in a row we saw a bear at Boyd Big Tree.. not sure if that’s the norm, or if we’re just lucky :)

Sun May 27 2018

Great trail and I love the overlook it provides.

Thu Apr 05 2018

I loved the manicured wide trails and the peace and quiet of this place. It is quiet and there were only sounds from neighboring properties where people were shooting around. Strange. The park is beautiful and the trails are partly very challenging. It was a cold grey day when I was there and worked up a good sweat. The inclines are very good! It also has a lot of connections from one trail to another if you want to lengthen or shorten your hike. I saw ONE other person while there and that made my day!! The only not nice part is the high tension wires along a part of the trails. They detract a lot from the natural beauty of the place. Otherwise very worthwhile!!

Mon Sep 25 2017

"Easy" probably a better description. No steep climbs, no bouldering. Most trails are wide, soft, well-maintained, and well-shaded. Highly recommend picking up a printed map at the trailhead, and noting which blazes to follow on which sections of the hike, the trail network is complex. The section beyond Blue Mt. Parkway is unmarked, overgrown, and skirts private property. Highly recommend long pants for this area, as it is highly overgrown.

Sat Feb 25 2017

First time here- great hike. Multiple "named" trails- very well marked- paths well maintained and clear. Lots of trail options depending on the distance and difficulty you're looking for. Main parking lot had restrooms and water fountains. Will definitely return.