Chuck Keiper Trail, East Loop

Chuck Keiper Trail, East Loop is a 9.4 mile loop trail located near Beech Creek, Pennsylvania and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and nature trips and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trail is named for Charles F. Keiper who was the District Wildlife Conservation Officer for Western Clinton County from 1951 until his death in 1973. Chuck Keiper was a dedicated conservationist and wildlife law enforcement officer.

Good test of fitness. Fun trail.

We hiked the loop clockwise and clocked in at 23.5 miles. Great trail compared to the West loop. Well marked with only slight overgrowth. The up hill grinds are just that, with no switchbacks. Fortunetly the are relatively short. Not many campsites, but good areas are there to make one. Saw a Black bear at the start, a fox, pheasant, turkey and another bear. Came across a bog mile 21 and got our feet wet , no way around it. Would definitely do again and combine both loops.

The east loop is actually 22.4 miles long and the west loop is 33 miles. If you are going to do this trail I recommend a map and giving yourself plenty of time. Did the east loop in 2 days. Lots and lots of steep hills and hills that had a gradual incline that lasted for a while. The landscapes all along the trail were breathtaking. Plenty of water sources available and lots of campsites. All in all, a great, but difficult trail!

Sunday, May 29, 2016

This trail was a 27mile hike from beginning to end. My buddy and I did it clockwise, and found that the hills were very arduous. A good trail with low traffic, good campsites and plenty of water opportunities. However, the trail runs directly through a swamp around 100m across in the last 3 miles. Some areas were not well blazed (labelled). All around a good hike, but I don't intend to do it again.

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Took my two sons for their first time. Tough climbs, great campsites, sufficient water supply, all around good trail. Great experience. Will be back, again and again.

Monday, November 04, 2013

I've completed this trail three times. Two of them with snow (3-10 inches) and one in the spring. Every time we hiked it we went counter-clockwise. The last time was in the spring of 2011 and the trail was in dire need of maintenance. There were multiple places with severe blow down. We camp our first night at Cranberry Run. It is a great campsite under pine trees and next to a stream. The second night we spent it at the dry campsite after Pete's Run road. This is a very strenuous hike. Be sure to check out the small water fall in the last hollow after you cross 144.

Monday, September 06, 2010

Good trail. Lots and lots off rocks. nice camp stops

Friday, September 03, 2010

nice hike, completed almost both loops. 4 nites. Rocks on top of rocks. Saw my first fox. Cranberry swamp was cool. the colors in the fall were amazing.