Chuck Keiper Trail

Chuck Keiper Trail is a 29.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Renovo, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trail is named for Charles F. Keiper who was the District Wildlife Conservation Officer for Western Clinton County from 1951 until his death in 1973. Chuck Keiper was a dedicated conservationist and wildlife law enforcement officer.

We hiked this trail last weekend counter clockwise. Great campsite approx. 7.5 mi. W of parking lot. It's a grueling climb after the trail heads S. on Yost. up to Rt. 144 xing. Lower end of Eddie Lick is quite overgrown with loose shale and steep drop off. Be careful. Plenty of water and campsites, but many portions are in need of maintenance and overgrown. Blazes are missing or too faded. we strayed off trail a few times, lucky we had GPS. Be prepared this is very secluded with no cell service. I would have given 4 stars if not for it's condition.

I only did the western loop from Fisher fire road to Yost Run and out, and as much as I loved it, would still say it’s more than moderately difficult. Perhaps it was how wet the spring and early summer have been, but the steeper sections of trail were challenging due to uncertain footing and slippery conditions.
Still, HIGHLY recommended, but be well prepared.

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

A nice trail over all, but very unkempt in certain areas. Some nice camp spots as well. Definitely enjoyed this trail.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

This trail is awesome! I grew up in Renovo, but I didn't start hiking it until I moved. Now I live in AK and I try to hike sections of the CKT every time I'm back east.

Sunday, August 16, 2015