Chimney Rocks Trail

Chimney Rocks Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Quincy Twp, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

I enjoyed the diversity this trail offers. I hiked it from Old Forge Picnic Area so it is a slow but steady climb; the first third meandered literally in and out of the stream (it had rained for the past 24 hours) and there were some lovely small water fall areas.The switchbacks on the upper 2/3 of the trail are wide and not rocky, so the climb is not hard. It was incredibly windy and cold at the top (forecasters said there were 40mph gusts today) but much of the rest of the trail was calm and enjoyable.

Great day for a fall hike! I’d love to do this one again!

great hike spent the night on top with my daughter's beautiful sun rise in the morning

A bit difficult to find the trailhead. Keep on the main (dirt) road, I believe it's Swift Run. You'll eventually come to the "parking lot" on the left which is unmarked but hopefully will have some cars parked so you know it's the Trail. We had a better time using AllTrails than Google to find it.

Really neat trail with gradual elevation increase. The vista is worth it. The trail is wide and forgiving, you're not riding a ridge. I took the blue blazes around Heritage Cabin up and back. I planned on taking the full loop, but friends bailed half way through. Used the out & back option.

Absolutely beautiful fall hike and great vista. For newbies better than Sunset Rocks which is at the North end of the forest. I want to come back and do the full loop.

Awesome hike! Uphill but not overwhelming. The view and the rocks at the top are worth the trek. Trail is well marked and we followed the blue trail the whole way.

Very uphill hike but the view is worth it! make sure pack water and good shoes, enjoy!

This is a great hike with a view that is amazing! Plenty of trails you can venture off on to get the blood pumping. I will definitely be back in the fall to see the trees at their peak.

Loved the view from the trail and meeting people who are walking the while Appalachian trail.

great view and a nice trail. I came from the direction of the Fire Tower switching between the fire road and the AT. Did not see anyone until we reached the overlook

Great trail and the view at the overlook is totally worth the hike. Our pups enjoyed it just as much as we did! We want to come back during the fall to take in the view while the leaves are changing!

We also met a couple of thru-hikers at the top of the lookout! Shout out to Hiker Joy and her husband who were on day 109 of their journey!

I prefer to start near tumbling run but this was a good route to get to the climbing rocks

Really nice trail. No parts were too difficult. The view from the peak is amazing! - special note, the south entrance into the park is closed. You are going to want to use the north entrance into the part.

Lovely trail. There were some road closures so we accessed from Swift Run Road and passed the Hermitage cabin. We went up and down the blue trail but would like to try round trip next time.
Gorgeous views.

The trailhead isn't labeled- we found a parking area for 3-4 vehicles. We took the trail to the right, the blue blaze trail, to Chimney Rock and back. The streams by the cabin was gorgeous- a hidden gem which our kids loved. We will be back to do the white blaze trail.

Take the blue blazed trail when you get to the shelter and come back down the Appalachian trail, this makes for a slightly easier hike up. Either will get your heart flowing. Very rocky so watch your step! The view at the top is worth it!

Nice 3 mile hike. View was incredible!

Sunday, November 13, 2016

This was a great hike. My daughter who is 9, our 25lb mutt, my husband and I really enjoyed it. We were lucky to park in one of the three spots at the trail head but it looked like there was more available about 1/2 the way we came in. Luckily we spoke to two hikers who knew this trail and were able to give us a few tips. The first is that trail doesn't start out blue. You have to follow the white trail across from the three car parking. There will be a split between blue and the white trail. The blue trail is. the easier of the two but still a uphill workout. If you want a more challenging hike with more rock climbing go white. We took blue and came back down white and we were really happy we did. The view from the top is a great view. We hardly saw any other hikers going up and were surprised to see groups of hikers also enjoying the view. Overall it's a really nice hike not too long but long enough to feel acomplished.

Saturday, November 12, 2016

This was a nice quick 2-hour hike. Taking the blue trail up then the white trail (AT) down, doing the loop clockwise is easier than the other way around. The parking at the Old Forge Rd where AT intersects the road is very limited (max 4 cars). But a half mile before that point there is a large parking lot with plenty of spaces.

Monday, August 29, 2016

Nice short hike. Views from the rocks are worth it.

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Took the AT up to Chimney Rocks. It is a pretty steep climb, but if you take your time, fairly easy. The view is beautiful. Took the blue trail down and saw beautiful streams and falls. Will definitely be back.