Boughton Falls via Oil Creek Trail

Boughton Falls via Oil Creek Trail is a 5.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Titusville, Pennsylvania that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.7 miles Elevation Gain: 646 feet Route Type: Loop

we came in the east side 3 miles into the hike when you cross back over river via the bridge, according to all trails the trail goes to the right however the only option was left for about a 1/2 mile and it dumps you on a bike path that eventually puts you on track. follow the white marks. the trail ends up being 7.5 miles. nice views and only passed 1 person the trail

Really enjoyed this trail. The 5 mile loop from museum street brings you up and down 2 mountains and over a beautiful creek. Took me about 2 hours. Alot of switchbacks so not too hard of a climb. Poweline areas give great views on both mountains and I was there when the leaves weren't back yet so the views through the trees were great. You'll follow yellow blazes, then white, then yellow again to make the loop.

I would like to start out by saying, this is in NO WAY an easy trail. I may not be in the absolute best shape, but this is at the very least a moderate rated trail. There are a set of steep switchbacks and a big majority of it is large up and down hills, as well as lots of rocks, roots, and mud. It is also way longer than the 5.7 miles claimed, we only went as far as the falls, as the GPS shows, and we tracked 7.8 miles - we were very sore by the time we were done! The falls were nice, but you only get a far away view, although we did off-trail down to get a closer look, which in hindsight I wouldn't recommend - it was a little sketchy of a climb (slide) both up and down. Overall it's not a bad trail, nothing to write home about but a good spot if you live in the area - pretty boring in the winter with nothing to look at besides dead trees, other than a small area near the falls with a lot of pine that was very beautiful. It was pretty muddy on a lot of the trail, with some spots having small foot bridges and some not. There are also a few benches and a picnic table along the way if you care to bring snacks or a picnic lunch. One bench is at the top of a nice overlook. I'm sure it would be a lot more attractive during the other seasons when there are leaves on the trees.

Saturday, June 30, 2018