Blue Trail Loop

Blue Trail Loop is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Newtown Square, Pennsylvania that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A 4.1 mile wooded, dirt trail. Features a few cool sights such as an old farm house, ruins of a house from the 1800s, Ridley Creek, etc. A somewhat hilly terrain offers light to moderate exercise. A 4.1 mile wooded, dirt trail with some slightly hilly terrain, which offers a light to moderate level of exercise. The trail is a well-maintained dirt trail that features some interesting and scenic views such as an old farmhouse, downed trees, Ridley Creek, and some old ruins from centuries-old buildings. There's a fair amount of rocks and tree roots on the trail, and in the fall, leaves cover the path so you'll want to be careful and watch where you walk. And the trail intersects and sometimes merges with several other trails and roads in the park. The trail is very well marked, so as long as you keep an eye out for markings, you'll be ok. Overall, a nice, peaceful wooded hike with some cool features to look at that provides a long enough distance and hilly enough terrain to consider it a light-to-moderate workout.

Thought I might have my work cut out for me but I was pleasantly surprised that the blue trail wasn't as difficult as I thought it might be. Took a day off hike the whole thing there and back starting at the Picnic Area #9 trailhead. Really cool old farmhouse and barn ruins just off of the trail near picnic area 16. Gave myself 4 hours but was finished in under 2. The areas just as you leave Picnic area 9 are hilly but doable. Really not much of a challenge for me after that (I'm 59 and in reasonably good shape). The actual "loop" part at the south end is essentially flat. I hiked in wet leaves after a storm the day before and was fine in heavy hikers. Dry conditions would require only sneakers or light hikers. Older folks with balance issues like me should consider a hiking stick.

For my experience level (duffer) and fitness level (super chubby), I love Ridley State Park. A bunch of different trails and all clearly marked. Great hike.

Lovely trail with a creek view toward the beginning. there are a couple of sections where you may question where to turn but you'll be fine as long as you stay on the trail. I especially love that there's a bathroom available halfway through the hike because I like to hydrate.

Beautiful!

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Good hike but shorter and less challenging than the white trail