Blue Marsh Trail

Blue Marsh Trail is a 23.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Leesport, Pennsylvania that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

skiing

If you’re going to do this one make sure you start early. Depending on your pace it may take up to 10 hours. You see a little of everything. Thankfully not a ton of rocks like Pa’s AT.

MM5-11 This is a tough trail in the middle of November! And very enjoyable. There are some pretty major hill climbs on this one! My Fitbit clocked it somewhere around 200 flights of stairs. Definitely the toughest terrain so far and also the most difficult trail to follow. Wear your boots and check your map!

MM 0-5 today. Pretty smooth for the first 2 1/2 miles then things get rough between three and five so get ready to climb some hills! Nice trail. Follow the white arrows and you’ll be fine and as always, consult your map!

I am doing this trail in sections. Today I did mile marker 29 through 26 (yes, I went backwards!) This part of the trail has some fairly significant inclines. I highly suggest that you have a trail map with you. There are a few confusing points but if you have a map then even when you get lost you will know where you are!

If you’re hiking in the rainy season hiking boots and a walking stick are also helpful. The trail is narrow in places and slippery/muddy. There are also lots of exposed rocks.

However, there are a couple spots with some really super views out over the lake! All in all, a very peaceful section but definitely not a casual Sunday stroll. I started from the Stilling Basin stone lot and worked my way back to mile 26.

Super long day but you hike along the lake, creeks, up and down big hills in a forest setting and through miles of farmland. Get to see a bit of everything. Pay attention at the different roads and side trails, easy to end up off trail for a bit.

Pretty quiet and low traffic for hiking with your dog !

Great mountain bike day adventure!

Started at the visitor center (1268 Palisades Dr, Leesport, PA 19533) and hiked around Blue Marsh Lake in one day!

The main trial is well-marked and maintained with mile markers for every mile, and is for hiking, mountain biking, and horseback riding. But there are other trails, so pay attention to prevent making a wrong turn.

The trail passes through meadows and forest and includes wooden bridges, which cross over many streams feeding into the lake. There are also small parts made of gravel road as part of the trail joins with a rail trail.

The entire loop is 29.7 miles. My hike was 32.4 miles because of making a wrong turn. Determined to officially complete the whole trail, I looped around back to where I made the wrong turn.

Features of the trail:
- Multiple places to park around the lake.
- Good trail map: http://www.nap.usace.army.mil/Portals/39/docs/Civil/Blue_Marsh/trail%20map.pdf.
- Many things to do at Blue Marsh Lake.
- Wildflowers were in bloom during my hike.
- Variety of scenery and difficulty.
- Awesome vista at State Hill Boat Launch entrance.

Monday, March 13, 2017

Pre-strom hike today. Had to get it in before the storm hits because I don't thijnk we'll be out for a few weeks until the snow melts. No one else on the trail today. Alone is nice sometimes. You get to hear the birds song and scurrying of the chipmunk and squirrels. I saw a cardinal, woodpecker, and I think I saw an eagle. The wing span was to big to be a hawk.

Friday, February 24, 2017

great hike, a little hilly but a well maintained trail. good starting place to get your hiking legs back after a winter off.

Sunday, February 05, 2017

rough but ❤'d it..

Friday, October 07, 2016

It's a long trail, moderate difficulty. The trails are well-marked. We only did 6.5 mi. of it today.

Thursday, September 08, 2016

Im ganna have to go back because the main trail is long. My friends and i only had a couple hours since it was well over 90 degrees out. We chose a short loop trail that ended up being an atv tail. The lake seems awesome and very busy. Lots of water activity. My only issue was that the tails were not marked well. I just kind of guessed where i was and used the gps from the map to see where i may be. Other than that, im looking forward to going back :)

Monday, June 20, 2016

Long trail around the lake with some slightly challenging ascents. Mostly covered wooded trails, so there's good stretches of trail with shade. Difficult level is hard mostly due to length. As the trail is a big loop be sure to set a manageable place to turn back around or be prepared to trek all 23+ miles. Trail offers a good challenge for mountain biking.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Loved the hike, but I did get lost lol

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

I use the trails to hike with my dog. Well trained, obedient, dogs are welcomed off-leash. I always hold on to my pup and yield to cyclists and horses, though. I've done 15 of the 24 miles. Difficulty varies from easy stroll to very rugged climbs. Trails are extremely well maintained from mid-April until winter and marked (to include mile markers).

Wednesday, January 06, 2016

I live right around the block from blue mash and I love coming here and hiking a short distance or something long. Many trails

Sunday, January 03, 2016

Blue Marsh is such an excellent place to just pick a parking spot and go for a loop of your own distance. Easy terrain with no ankle-busting rocks, and very clean.

PS: Leash your dogs ESPECIALLY when people are around. I don't care if you say they're friendly; I don't appreciate their jumpy, muddy, scratchy paws or their tendency to get slimy drool and dog-snot on my clothing.

Monday, December 14, 2015

Fantastic scenes and areas to ride CX rides!! Great for drills and taking in the History. Watch the dog poop though.

Thursday, August 06, 2015

Blue Marsh was GREAT!!!! Brought my dog with me and we hiked and were able to find a place to both take a dip. Good mix of trails with other activities like water sports etc. I bet it would be awesome to do the whole loop......my dog loved it :-)

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Blue Marsh is my favorite place on earth!

Friday, July 25, 2014

I just love Blue Marsh! I've been going there for years and each time I go up there I discover something new. I've often seen deer tracks but never actual deer up there until today (a doe and fawn). They redid the Sensory Garden not to long ago and it looks absolutely beautiful. It's also a great place to go bird watching but lately I've been seeing a lot more turkey buzzards around up there. It is also kept very clean which impresses me. A lot of people love to go picnicking and swimming there in the summer time. The visitors center also has a wonderful view of the lake all year round. I love going there in winter when the snow is coming down, but in the summer I like to watch the water skiers and jet skiers having fun from there. There are also many little coves if you have a boat and just want to relax away from all the excitement. The price to use the day area is $3 a day but I buy the season pass for $30 a year (It's worth it!)

Sunday, June 02, 2013

The best local, single track trails around Reading, PA. I recommend starting at the stilling basin entrance and riding out past state hill ramps and through the far set of trails. Good mixture of climbs and hills and some technical aspects. Lots of root systems, railroad ties and sharp curves.

Sunday, November 11, 2012

absolutely beautiful

Saturday, April 28, 2012

I LOVE Blue Marsh! The trails are diverse, and easy to follow for the most part. My husband and I are Ultra trail runners, so we really enjoy the many different aspects of the Blue Marsh trails. You have single track, some stone paths, hills to climb (like the Ski Slope) and many views of the beautiful lake.
Lots of cool bridges and some water crossings make things quite interesting at times.
I recommend this park to anyone wanting a good workout, whether biking, hiking or running. They even have horse trails and we have seen many a horse out there on the same trails.
Enjoy, I know we will continue to do so.