Black Forest Long Loop

Black Forest Long Loop is a 46.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lock Haven, Pennsylvania that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 46.7 miles Elevation Gain: 8,684 feet Route Type: Loop

There is no formal facilities at the trail head, and parking is just off the side of the road.

the most beautiful and brutal backpacking trip I've done to date. counter clockwise. the first day almost broke me with the steep inclines, but they were conquered. first day. 6:30am until 4:45pm. you have the most views the first day. second day I was able to rack up the mileage due to the relative ease of the terrain. 6:30am until 4:15pm. third day had a steep climb to start the day, not too bad after that. 8am until 11:45am. gorgeous weather!

I’ve hiked this several times, most recently Labor Day weekend 2018. Of all the places across America and worldwide I’ve hiked, this loop is among my favorite trails. It offers strenuous hiking that, depending on how much time one takes to do it, could be categorized as difficult rather than moderate. The diversity of terrain and forests and wildlife is perhaps unparalleled. Water is abundant along most the loop. And the trail itself is very well maintained and ecology preserved. We hiked it in approx 3 days: departed Slate Run on a Friday ~10am and finished Sunday ~8:30pm. Our 2 dogs (1 lab puppy) came along and even survived a few rattlesnake run-ins. There are multiple places to bail and shorten your hike, but finishing the entire loop offers tremendous reward.

I hiked this trail in an overnighter on July 4th to the 5th. This was one of the most challenging trails I have done. The vistas were absolutely amazing and to me they were much better than the views on the West Rim Trail aka Pa Grand Canyon. Plenty of ups and downs and when they went up, they went up steeply and for a long distance. I’m not sure how this app determines the ratings but I would have rated this trail as hard instead of moderate. This app rates the Old Loggers Path in the Loyalsock State Forest in PA as hard but it should have been rated easy. There is no way that trail was more difficult than the BFT. Keep that in mind when looking at the difficulty rating and do further research. Overall I loved this trail. When I do it again I will take more time.

Great trail parked on 44 and hiked to hotel manor (great bar food atmosphere) definitely a strenuous trail but great views. Would recommend to a moderate hiker! Great trail!

Tuesday, May 01, 2018

two highschool friends and I wanted to go backpacking as a graduation trip. We were unprepared for this strenuous trail but still had a blast. Cant wait to do it again now that I know how to backpack a lot better

Friday, September 21, 2018