Black Forest North Loop Trail

Black Forest North Loop Trail is a 22.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Cammal, Pennsylvania that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Awesome trail! Two solid days of hiking given the elevation and terrain. Plenty of good camping spots along the way.

Possibly my favorite feature of this hike is the hotel + restaurant + bar almost exactly at the half way point in Slate Run. We stopped off for a beer and hearty meal for lunch and it couldn't have worked out better.

We'll definitely do it again.

This was by far the most difficult trail I have done to date! The climbs are outrageous but the reward is great views for sure! Only came across 1 rattle snake...a Black Timer Rattler...let us pass right by and never even buzzed. Started the trail, from Slate Run, and went clockwise but do to injury had to cut day 2 short. Water was in great supply.

Great hike difficult at times a lot of stream crossings

Definitely a challenging trail but well worth it! Gorgeous scenery and wildlife. 1 bear siting and multiple rattlesnakes. Unfortunately it was very dry over Labor Day but still could find ample water when needed. 42.5 miles in just over 72 hours.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

so many beautiful vistas that are well worth the effort

Friday, August 19, 2016

Thursday, June 02, 2016

Did this hike over Memorial Day weekend. We did 3 nights and 4 days start at sunrise Friday morning.

We opted to take the Sentiero Di Shay High Water route from Mile 14-19 of the BFT map. Total trip was 39 miles vs the 42.

We had a great time. Very challenging, but worth every step. Great views and great camping. IT was hot, but there was plenty of water on the trail.

We saw 1 bear and heard another, so bear bags are a must. Our group didn't see any rattles snakes, but heard from others that there were a few sightings.

Highly recommend this trail to anyone with experience.

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Sunday, December 06, 2015

My most recent hike of this awesome trail was Memorial Day weekend in 2015 with my son and one of his friends. I hiked it many years ago in rain, fog, and drizzle but this time the weather could not have been better! The 42 mile loop makes logistics easy and it can be completed in 3 days (2 nights) if you are reasonably fit. In my opinion this is the best backpacking experience you can find in Pennsylvania. There are some sizable climbs but many awesome vistas. There are tons of great campsites, plenty of water, and the thing I find most appealing is the sense of wilderness you feel. There are only a handful of road crossings and not too many signs of civilization. We treated ourselves to an excellent dinner on the deck at the Hotel Manor in Slate Run (the trail goes right by it). I highly recommend stopping for a beer and some real food!

Thursday, November 26, 2015

Sadly went after heavy rainfall and lots of the trail was washed out and very wet. Lots of overgrown areas but all in all a great trip. Steep elevation climbs, but rewarded with multiple vistas and great views. Saw a few rattlesnakes but no bears. The manor hotel was a great stop for lunch and a celebratory beer afterwards. Would do it again!

Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Hiked the Black Forest Trail in 3 days over Labor Day. The trail was in good shape and was well marked. A lot of up and downs but the vista's are worth of the effort. My favorite was the vista on top of Hemlock Mtn. You will find plenty of camping sites and water sources. We also saw 2 rattle snakes on the trail. So make sure you listening for the infamous "rattle" sound.

Highly recommend stopping at Wolfes General store for a post-hike hoagie! They stop serving at 6 PM so you better wake up early on the last day

We hiked the trail counter clock wise and started at the trail head and headed towards Manor Hotel. The trail map and guide were purchased at the Pittsburgh REI. It can also be purchased online at pinecrk.com. Must Have!

Monday, August 17, 2015

My first ever Backpacking Experience. We joined the Crazee Monkee Meet-Up for a trip that started on Saturday 9:00 am and ended Sunday 4:00 pm. We started from the Blackberry Trail to Marker #17 and ended back at 0-Zero, BFT Re-route.. As some reviews have shared on here, this is not for the faint of heart. Will I do it again? Yes, I will. The trail is well-maintained and marked. The steep elevation changes in short distances was brutal. When you're going up, you are going up indeed. When going down, your toes will jam the front of your boot. We passed a rattle snake that was rattling at us but saw no bears. Lots of mosquitoes in some areas. The vistas were beautiful, but what took my breath away are streams esp. how the sun filtered through the leaves of the trees. I only brought one pole, and that was a mistake. There are areas that despite excellent shoes, the ground was eroded, there was hardly anything to grip. You do have to be in good physical condition regardless of the length of your trek.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Did this 42 mile loop, mostly day-hiking, but backpacked with my grandson from the main trailhead on Slate Run Road to Naval Run back in 2008. Had two encounters with rattlesnakes, one about three feet from my face while climbing out of Slate Run valley. The most picturesque section is in the Red Run valley between Little Morris Run and Algerine Trail. I have scheduled an eight-mile hike with the Asaph Trail Club for Dec. 23, 2014, going from the main trailhead to Little Morris Run. Hopefully the "no-winter-maintenance" access road will be open.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

I did this trail with Girl Scouts when I was very young and it was incredibly fun, I would love to do it again. The scenery is beautiful and the crossing of streams makes the trail different and unique. Strenuous but not impossible

Saturday, June 15, 2013