Bears Rocks via Appalachian Trail (Bake Oven Road)

Bears Rocks via Appalachian Trail (Bake Oven Road) is a 2.8 mile out and back trail located near Heidelberg, Pennsylvania that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I thought this was an easy hike when you’re short on time, like I am today. The trail was rocky and a little muddy, so wear appropriate shoes. The views are nice at the top. Some of the rocks have graffiti on them. Several stink bugs landed on me today. I did see a hawk (I think, I’m not a bird person). People were there with binoculars, so if you are a bird person, it’s a good place to see them.

This is a nice, easy day hike with excellent views! The trail is wide and relatively flat, making this great for beginners. While the trail to get there is fairly nondescript, the overlook at Bear Rocks is fantastic! Getting to the top requires a fair bit of scrambling on the Shawangunk Conglomerate outcrop, but it is well worth it! In short, a trail well worth doing!