Bear Run Park Hiking Trail

Bear Run Park Hiking Trail is a 8.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mill Run, Pennsylvania that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

private property

Completed three of the trails so far. Well marked, well maintained, lightly trafficked. Easy to moderate depending on trail choice and weather.

Started on the blue trail and around marker 15 ended up on the black, winding CCW back to the parking lot. Rock and dirt path, mostly downhill. On the black trail past 381, I turned left at a caryn that took me straight up a hill. If you go this way, you need a lot of daylight; the blazes are all brown and difficult to see. When this trail, called saddle (you'll see a marker for it) gets to the top, turn left at the metallic "no hunting" sign. Turn left again when the trail ends at a T with a road. Here, you'll start seeing markers for the black trail again. Go straight past the construction stuff and cross the road back to the parking lot.

This is a great trail with multiple loops ranging from easy 0.8 mile hikes to difficult 11.9 mile hikes. There are 5 camp sites along the trails that are first come first serve. The All Trails app shows this as an 8.5 mile loop; however, we did not see that loop once we arrived, and had to grab a paper map from the Bear Run Reserve. Definitely recommend this location for a hike!

I started hiking the black trail yesterday, but several of the trail markers had been removed. I was at a "cross road" and could not find any markers. It took me over 1/2 hour to find another marker about 1/2 mile away. So because this happened two times, I decided to finish on the shorter red trail. Lots of potential here, but was disappointed because someone thought it would be funny to remove the markers.

Great trail with some awesome views! Followed the black loop and was not disappointed. There was one huge down tree I had to go around but besides that the trail was great! If you are following the black loop counter clockwise when you come to the road cross and go to your right about 50 feet to pick the trail back up again.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

We were only able to hike a portion of the trail due to a time constraint. It is such a beautiful area, and I would love to return one day to complete it. We also visited Fallingwater...truly a special place. I hope we get to visit it again someday too!

Saturday, August 06, 2016

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Nice trail with a few steep climbs but mostly level. Well blazed but some of the signage could use updating. Bear Run itself was well worth the 12 miles I put in, absolutely gorgeous. One small stream crossing on my route but was able to make it across dry.

Monday, February 15, 2016

There are a handful of primitive campsites on the reserve, prefect for a quick weekend backpack trip!

Sunday, October 11, 2015