Bear Run Park Hiking Trail

Bear Run Park Hiking Trail is a 8.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mill Run, Pennsylvania that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

private property

This is a great trail with multiple loops ranging from easy 0.8 mile hikes to difficult 11.9 mile hikes. There are 5 camp sites along the trails that are first come first serve. The All Trails app shows this as an 8.5 mile loop; however, we did not see that loop once we arrived, and had to grab a paper map from the Bear Run Reserve. Definitely recommend this location for a hike!

I started hiking the black trail yesterday, but several of the trail markers had been removed. I was at a "cross road" and could not find any markers. It took me over 1/2 hour to find another marker about 1/2 mile away. So because this happened two times, I decided to finish on the shorter red trail. Lots of potential here, but was disappointed because someone thought it would be funny to remove the markers.

Great trail with some awesome views! Followed the black loop and was not disappointed. There was one huge down tree I had to go around but besides that the trail was great! If you are following the black loop counter clockwise when you come to the road cross and go to your right about 50 feet to pick the trail back up again.

We were only able to hike a portion of the trail due to a time constraint. It is such a beautiful area, and I would love to return one day to complete it. We also visited Fallingwater...truly a special place. I hope we get to visit it again someday too!

Saturday, August 06, 2016

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Nice trail with a few steep climbs but mostly level. Well blazed but some of the signage could use updating. Bear Run itself was well worth the 12 miles I put in, absolutely gorgeous. One small stream crossing on my route but was able to make it across dry.

Monday, February 15, 2016

There are a handful of primitive campsites on the reserve, prefect for a quick weekend backpack trip!

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Monday, July 27, 2015

Three of us and our dog did an overnight 13 mile trip. Originally planned to do more, but storms were rolling in the Sunday we woke up. We started on Tissue and finished up on Tree. At the first, and maybe only, scenic overlook we came to, our dog was barking pretty intently. Turns out, we had just taken a picture practically standing on a copperhead den. The snakes were in a small bush/tree, about calf length high, and were very difficult to spot even after we knew they were there. Four babies and one big fat Mamma...quite unnerving. Luckily, no one was bit. Pretty solid hike after that. Saw one deer and luckily no bear. We thought this trail would be 'off the beaten path' a little more, but we encountered a decent amount of people and noise from the highway. There were plenty of water sources to refuel and firewood was in abundance.

***After reading all the dos and don'ts online along with speaking to Brian Jones at the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy, we were told and under the impression that camping was on a first come-first serve basis. After hiking 9 miles to camp and setting up shop, we were approached by a group of 8 guys and their dog about 3-4 hours after our arrival. They asked if we had reservations. They lied to us and said they had signed up with a park ranger and that this camp site was reserved for them. Judging by their lack of heavy breathing and sweat, they had not been hiking very long. They demanded that we leave the campsite and corralled around for a good 10-15 minutes. They tried to get in touch with a Park Ranger via cell but did not have any luck. I played them the voicemail Brian Jones left me about camping being on a first come-first serve basis. There was another camp 1.5 miles down the trail. They claimed you had to reserve a campsite at the trailhead. One of the douche bags even busted out his handy-dandy "Backpacking Pennsylvania"...for dummies...handbook and asked if I wanted to see it in writing. They even threatened to call the cops!? Before the trip, we went out of our way to make sure we were doing everything right. We left at 7 am to make sure we got a camp site and they strolled up around 4 pm. Apparently there is some confusion on this first come-first serve basis thing. I suggest leaving early and marking your campsite at the trailhead where they have maps to avoid confrontation and confusion (though no paper or writing utensil is provided to "reserve your site"). We did not move and we assumed they were happy at the next campsite down the trail...which conveniently happened to be a group campsite.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Great hike on 7/21/14 with my buddy. We hiked much of the front side but man the back side (peninsula) was grown in and tricky after you pass the 2nd over look. If you pay attention there are alot of great hidden areas to check out that offer a great hike. Be aware that once you start its hard to turn back due to the awesome surroundings, so give yourself time to finish what you start in an enjoyable manner. Take a good supply of water Do not rush, stay safe and enjoy!

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Camping is first come first serve, which can has it's pluses and minuses.

The front trails are well marked, but the back trails can have some difficult terrain and are not well marked so mach sure you take a map and compass with you.

Tuesday, April 08, 2014