Appalachian Trail, Pinnacle Trail, Valley Rim and Pulpit Rock

Appalachian Trail, Pinnacle Trail, Valley Rim and Pulpit Rock is a 9.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Hamburg, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A great hike on portions of the Appalachian Trail. Observatory is enroute to Pinnacle with outstanding views of Lehigh Valley and Interstate 78. Lots of wildlife to watch along the way.

A very nice hike! Great views! Good Chance of Hawk sightings!

Good markings - great views

Best views in the area! Perfect hike.

Great overall hike. Pretty intense rocky incline the first several miles to Pulpit. Pack snacks and fill your water bladders up! You will need it on this almost 10 mile hike. Trail was pretty wet and muddy today so the rocks were a bit slippery, so be mindful of footwear with ankle support. Saw some bear poop and heard a snake hiss, so beware. The trail is pretty heavily trafficked with people gathered at both lookouts, but we didn’t have any issues with crowds today. Totally worth the hike if you’re in for something more challenging and in to see some absolutely stunning views!

With “All Trails” it make it a lot easier to find and follow trails. So happy they have this!! This was my second hike on this trail. First effort, without “All Trails” I headed on the wrong trail, it didn’t seem right..Thankfully, shortly on the trail I ran into someone and asked them.. They new the trail I wanted, and turned me to the right direction.. If there’s a harder part of a trail, I prefer to do them first.. Like this one. It was very rocky and a nice incline.. A good workout.. The scenery of the woods with the ferns, trees, rocks, and wildflowers looked so beautiful..The two lookouts, Pulpit and Pinnacle have beautiful views of the valley.. It’s a great hike! It was a long hike, so give yourself time and keep hydrated.. Looking forward doing it again. If not during the summer, definitely in the fall!!

Nice hike! Most elevation gain is at the beginning, then the rest is pretty flat or slightly downhill. Followed the AllTrails trail, and went to Pulpit Rock first, then the Pinnacle. This is a cool time to hike it because there are quite a few thru-hikers around! I saw several, and talked to a few of them about their experiences hiking the Appalachian. Pretty good views at Pulpit Rock. Definitely quite a bit of muddy spots on the north side of the loop; I was happy to have waterproof hiking boots for those.

great hiking

The most amazing views from the pulpit rock and pinnacle point.

Always a good hike live local and usually make it a point to do it once a year or so. Good elevation gain but be sure to take adequate water for yourself. 10 miles on a hot summer day and lounging up on those tocks overlooking that awesome view, ain’t no better view in the state.

Great hike for the more experienced hikers! Quite rocky and several spots with steep inclines! Gorgeous view once you get to the top! Watch out for snakes! Enjoy but be careful!

Awesome trail. Great if your looking for a long hike! Thankfully we started early, got very crowded as we made our way back to the bottom.

this makes for a day of outdoor fun and a stop to Cabelas! Very rocky but very beautiful views. I always find that rhere are too many people at the view but atleast it is big enough. Cool to watch birds from here or see the foliage. Watch out for snakes!!

I love this trail.

Great trail, very challenging at times, watch out for the rattle snakes

Great views, snow was fun and ended up getting socked with rain but still had fun with dog. took us 3.5 hours

Amazing views.. heard a bear growl after pulpit rock which was scary.. long hike but well worth it.

Great view at the Pinnacle. Well worth the hike and some real neat ice formations tumbling down the stream from the reservoir at the end. Didn't see a whole lot of wildlife but given the weather conditions and the terrain my head was down most of the time.

Great views! Make sure to do the loop, it’s well worth it. Take a stroll down to blue rocks. It’s a little out of the way but you won’t be disappointed.

Great loop. Definitely take the way up through Pulpit Rock.

started up furnace creek trail at 7am and didn't see anyone until pinnacle overlook. crowded trail on the way down. great views. well marked.

Awesome hike but our loop was only 8.4 miles and it was winter. Incredible views and a good workout on the AT Check out my full write up which includes directions and other things to look out for.

Challenging with a variety of terrains

Great loop, with two great overlooks. Make sure to take the Pinnacle side trail, and scramble down to find the cave if you’re up to it.

Great hike. Not overly strenuous. Definitely was packed when we left so start around 8 or 9a!

I have hiked this trail several times over the past few years. It's one of my favorites in PA. I went on a Friday morning, so it was not crowded at all. The trail is rocky in areas, so I would suggest proper foot wear, with good ankle support. My 15 year old son has hiked this route with me a couple times (I think it's great for kids and teens). It's a great trail with excellent views at Pulpit Rock and The Pinnacle.

This trail was a much better hike 10 years ago due to the congestion on the trail these days. parking and the overlooks are severely crowded The views are great, but if you're looking for peace and the sounds of nature, this is not the hike for you.

Moderate is an accurate rating for this loop, there were 2 or 3 steeper inclines but layered with flatter terrain to catch your breath. After the steep points, there were a couple miles with pure rocks for trail. I had my dog with me so some points were difficult for him, but he was able to maneuver the crevices. The overlooks are beautiful as many others have said, the best in southern/middle PA, in my opinion. For the most part this trail was relatively flat, but still beautiful. However, this trail was extremely crowded (by the time I finished there was no parking left). I explored this on a Saturday and will definitely be coming back during the week. Overall, a great hike and would recommend

Great trail, fairly easy, a few steep areas but overall flat terrain to hike.

Don't get me wrong, its a great hike. It easily has the best view I've been to in PA. The last few years however, i've found it unpleasantly crowded. You can't really get any peace at either of the overlooks as there's so many people. Regardless, its a great hike but be warned, there are tons of crowds.

Great hike, worth every step and rock to walk over...apparently my recording had me dropping off a cliff and back..took roughly 5 hours at a moderate pace with stopping at both Pulpit and Pinnacle...definitely need to do the 8.9 mile loop.