Appalachian Trail, Pinnacle Trail, Valley Rim and Pulpit Rock is a 9.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Hamburg, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A great hike on portions of the Appalachian Trail. Observatory is enroute to Pinnacle with outstanding views of Lehigh Valley and Interstate 78. Lots of wildlife to watch along the way. The address for the trailhead is: 400 Reservoir Rd Hamburg, PA 19526

51 minutes ago

hiked this on 11/4 with a friend. loved it. many people on the trail and lots of dogs. made it fun. had lunch and hot coffee from my thermos at the Pinnacle rock. views beautiful. saw a bald Eagle!!!

Just did this with my daughter today. Had a ton of fun on this course! Very rocky between Pulpit and Pinnacle so a little slow going at times, but the views are worth it. Definitely need waterproof hiking boots too, as the return leg was quite muddy in spots. The spring on the last leg was flowing really well, so we stopped there to fill up.

A great little day hike. Take a lunch and sit at the pinnacle to enjoy views of hawks hunting over the valley

Great hike! Check out the map before you get started to see what color trail markers you should be looking for. Also, keep an eye out for snakes. We saw 5 over the 9-mile hike, including two rattlesnakes.
The views from the Pinnacle and Pulpit Rock are awesome and are more than worth the effort to get there. Hiking shoes (or shoes with hard soles) are helpful because there are many portions of the trail where you're walking on rocks.

I’ve been hiking this area for 20 years. It never gets old!

Terrific trail with 2 magnificent panoramic views. A bit crowded on a Saturday late morning but then it was a perfect fall day! I would definitely do it again!

Another trail that needs better marking. All trails map was also unclear after reaching the Pinnacle. Pretty outlook. Very rocky so good hiking shoes help.

awesome

nice trail with a awesome view .

rock climbing

Great hike and very fun bouldering inside the cave at the pinnacle.

Great hike. Start early if the weather is good. It does get crowded. Didn't have any issue keeping on trail.

Beautiful view at the top. Not pleasant if too crowded. We went on a Sunday morning on a beautiful day and we were surprised that there were maybe only 8-10 people up there. We took the white trail to pulpit rock from the parking lot at reservoir road. The blue trail is easier. The white trail which we took up was fairly challenging due to rocks. You can easily miss the pinnacle when you get up there. Look for a large pyramid shaped pile of rocks and it’s right near there. We had the trail to ourselves a lot, with the exception of some “loud talkers” from a group of about 12, some of which had obnoxious personalities.

Hard for me going up, and well worth it!

Great Hike, nice steady climb to overlook. Very crowded. Took counter clockwise route.

I was at the Pinnacle twice this past week. Be careful of snakes at the top on the right when you first get to the overlook. I saw a copperhead and Timber rattlesnake. However this is always a great hike with spectacular views both at The Pinnacle and Pulpit Rock! Wear good shoes!

My husband and I hiked this trail on a clear, winter day in January and nearly had it to ourselves. It was mostly flat and wooded -- very peaceful. The views from the top were lovely. Highly recommend.

Be sure to wear hiking shoes and stay for a couple of hours to complete this hike. The vistas are awesome. I went to pulpit rock first and then journeyed on to the Pinnacle lookout behind the huge pile of rocks.

I was unable to find my way back through the shorter route and wound up spending 7 hours and hiking over 8 miles or more because there aren’t really good markings for the shorter path back. There are quite a few spots with no cell service (at Pinnacle Peak for one) also, so don’t rely on your cell phones GPS for navigation.

Leave yourself lots of time and be sure to bring water and maybe a snack and you should be good. First time on the AT, so I think I learned a few lessons about how to prepare for my next hike. Enjoy!

This is a great hike, with amazing views and lots of interesting rocks to navigate. The descent along the creek is peaceful and nice. A great hike 8-9 miles

Outstanding hike! The views at the pinnacle are amazing. I’m betting the views on the way to the pinnacle are also amazing but a lot of foliage. That’s ok, good excuse to go back in the fall! We prefer the clockwise direction of the loop, but fun either way. Take water!

Great views, friendly hikers along the way. Follow the white trail markers on the trees, or it is easy to get lost. Otherwise, a great upward trek with much satisfaction at the end.

Great lookout

Great Hike with amazing views! Make sure to take water and a few snacks, it's a LONG hike if you do the full trail/loop. Make a pit stop at Pulpit Rock...absolutely incredible.

amazing

I would have rated this trail higher except for 2 main things. 1. we walked right past the Pinnacle lookout by 1.5 miles before we asked somebody and had to turn around. And we weren't the only ones that missed it. Another hiker that had done it before said it was more overgrown than usual and there were no signs or arrows. 2. The trail markers and maps were awful on the second half of the loop. We stopped and asked someone else if we were going the right way back to the parking lot (this app didn't help on this trail) and they said take a sharp left at the helicopter pad. Unfortunately I was picturing a round landing site with an H in the middle, not the small patch of grass and we walked another mile out of the way before asking yet another group of people. So the 9 mile hike turned into about 14 and not relaxing. I know it sounds like we're a bunch of idiots but we have hiked many trails, far more difficult and rugged than this that were way easier to follow. I suggest you go with someone who is familiar with the trail. The views were nice but about the same as Hawk Mountain which is very clearly marked and much quicker.

P.S. When we finally made it back to the parking lot we were met by 2 men looking for their female friend who had gone off jogging by herself and hadn't returned yet. We met this woman by the helicopter pad field and collectively didn't know which way to go. We unfortunately made the wrong decision and she ran off ahead and we didn't see her again after we turned around. We offered to help locate her but they said they would split up and gone back in so we gave them our extra water. I hope she eventually made it out but just further proof it was very easy to get lost on this trail.

best local hike around philly. go past the first blue trail turn to add a mile and see the spring. definitely a great day hike. 9.6 miles approximately. I arrive early (before 8am) and only saw a few people passing me with no water or backpacks making me assume they were not doing the whole loop. saw only 3 people i passed after pinnacle, all backpackers.

The hike was moderate but the views were great from both Pinnacle and Puplit rock. Took was about 4 hours with breaks at both the points . We did the loop counterclockwise so we reached the Pinnacle first . But I would love to come back and do it from the pulpit rock end . I think that would be a bit more challenging .

As good as its reputation. challenging uphill climb, especially when going the morning after a rain because the rocks were slippery. But the vistas at pulpit and pinnacle make it worthwhile. Went with a six and nine year old, took about 4 hours.

I

Camped at Blue Rocks campground which has two separate trails which connect to this trail loop. My kids were pissed at me for dragging them along but talk about their hike with great pride and for great reason. Some of the stretches of boulder climbing had my wife telling them to "Be careful" every few minutes. The view from Pulpit rock is great but I thought the Pinnacle was one of the great views one can see hiking in Pennsylvania. Next time I am leaving them home so I can camp overnight in the state gamelands with my wife but I am definitely bringing the bear repellent.

Great hike! Amazing views!