Appalachian Trail: Peters Mountain to Cove Mountain Shelter to PA 850

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(61)
Halifax, Pennsylvania

Appalachian Trail: Peters Mountain to Cove Mountain Shelter to PA 850 is a 16.7 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Halifax, Pennsylvania that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 16.7 miles Elevation Gain: 2,014 feet Route Type: Point to Point

This is a nice section of trail. There are wonderful views of the river as you descend the mountain. Crossing the Clarks Ferry Bridge over the Susquehanna River and walking through Duncannon was a lot of fun. The town is very friendly to hikers. This section also includes the Doyle Hotel, one of the 3 most famous stops on the trail. While the hike through town was fun, the hike up the mountain on the other side was not. It was very rocky, which made for a long slow climb.

I hiked this portion in early March 2020, southbound, as part of a longer multi-day hike. Peter's Mt shelter is great (and huge), but the spring is a quarter mile straight down hill! The hike through the power line cut was blah. Graffitti always gets me down. But, when I got closer and closer to the Susquehanna, it was marvelous! Panoramic views, so much birdlife, and an interesting mix of flora. So many insects, too. Tons of turkeys. Visit here when leaves are gone for best views.

Completed in the reverse order from this point to point description in my quest to complete the PA AT from S to N. April 2019

Great views. Perfect hike to challenge beginners. Flat but rocky in some sections make you feel like you are earning it.

Hiked a portion of this trail recently starting at the parking lot at Peters Mountain. Being a climber I loved this trail because it has some rocky terrain and is definitely not an “easy” trail. Highly recommend it.

My son and myself parked at the top of Peters Mountain. First we went across the bridge to go towards the Susquehanna river/Clark's Ferry bridge.. We didn't get very far due to the rocks in the ground, narrow path and logs across the trail. No walking sticks and the descent was tough for two beginners. We came back and hiked out the service trail as we had our dog leashed and it was easier to walk. The path is approximately 6' wide. The service trail does meet up with the Appalachian trail. We went as far as the power lines due the the heat and humidity. The area is relatively smooth it appears to have been mulched. The trail slowly inclines up, levels out, inclines down levels out at power lines and slowly declines again. A nice walk with the family not too far but ajice workout to start with. We packed 3 water bottles and drank 2 (2 people and a dog). The temperature outside was 75 degrees, and very humid. I'd suggest a walking stick for stability. Dogs are allowed on the trail. I'd suggest a harness and standard leash. Check everyone really well for ticks when you get back to your car or home.

Tgis was a challenging hike with invline, decline and lots of rocks. very rewarding, terrific views, a couple of snakes, and a shelter with a natural spring- several places to take water! A+

Tue Jan 29 2019

Not a good winter hike without ice cleats/micro spikes. It was treacherous and ice covered. A great work out but if you are thinking of doing this as a winter hike...do not go without micro spikes. It was very beautiful nonetheless.

Thu Jan 03 2019

Very technical rocky start to the climb. But gorgeous and because it’s a technical climb it is not crowded

Tue Nov 13 2018

I did this trial this this past weekend on 10th of 11-10-2018 but went down the other was the part away from the bridge went to peters mountain shelter n back it’s the mordant part of the trail it was a great hike

Thu Feb 22 2018

Awesome trail

Thu Nov 16 2017

The overlook viewing the South Susquehanna Valley is incredible to wake up to and watch light up at night.

Tue Jun 07 2016

A little rocky in places, but a few views to be seen!

Sun Mar 13 2016

I enjoyed it to my 10 year old cousin with me and my dog.

Mon Mar 07 2016

Amazing!

Tue Sep 15 2015

Don't be naive about the difficulty level (like I was). The rocks are brutal on the arches and many chances of getting injured. However, had some amazing views and absolutely loved the challenge of the trail. Got to see a deer, frog, and lizard as far as wildlife goes. Also bring plenty of water.

Sat Aug 01 2015

the bears were actually on the peters mtn to Victoria trail

Sun Jun 28 2015

Only went about 4 miles but great views in a few spots

Sun Jun 05 2011

Ran this section this morning and it was a good mix of up and downs. Gets a little rocky in spots but nothing you can't handle.