Appalachian Trail: PA 309 to Lehigh Gap

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(62)
State Game Land 217

Appalachian Trail: PA 309 to Lehigh Gap is a 13.5 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Andreas, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 13.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,279 feet Route Type: Point to Point

This challenging section of trail will require you to navigate over and around car sized boulders. This section of trail runs along the top of the ridge. There are plenty of fantastic views, two shelters, and multiple campsites that aren't listed on the map. You'll also get to hike over the Lehigh Tunnel, but it's hard to know when you're actually over it. This is a rugged section of trail with a lot of boulders to navigate over.

Nice 8 mile hike from 309 to Lehigh Furnace Gap ( Ashfield road). This is a very rocky section and one section we were climbing with our hands. Beautiful views and a few of them along the hike. The Baked Oven section is heavily used but barely saw anyone after the Knob. Parking: The last mile on Ashfield road is unpaved but would be fine for a car. There is about 8 parking spaces here plus parking along side the road.

Nice hike but if you’re not a fan of the rocky sections of the AT you won’t like this much. The first 1/2 mile or so is like a groomed trail but then you get into Knife’s Edge and it is pretty rocky until a little past Bears Rocks. You’ll get a little reprieve until you cross over Bake Oven Rd. From there it is pretty rocky until Ashfield Rd. The last 5 miles isn’t too bad until your descent from G W Outerbridge shelter. If you don’t mind the Rocky terrain this hike offers plenty of good views.

Rocky, some good lookout view points. Area of bake oven knob is disappointing due to a lot of graffiti, although it is better than a couple years ago when the trail was littered with a bunch of broken glass (someone did lots of clean up). This is what happens when trails are easily accessible to non hikers. Keep hiking it gets better. It is a shame when you have to spend some of your hiking time cleaning up other people’s garbage.

Hiked from 309 to Bake Oven Shelter, and back. Overnighted at New Tripoli. Loved it all! Technical hiking in the rocks (app. 1 mile of very rocky trail, with .25 scramble section). It's a satisfying challenge, but with some genuine safety risk (especially with a backpack). Nice to have gloves. Decent bird-watching throughout. Grafitti on the knob is distressing, but is limited to just that area. Bear Rocks are beautiful with a dry camp right by the cliffs. Several other "dry" campsites in very picturesque spots all along the ridgeline. Tripoli campsite was nice, but a bit impacted. Plenty of firewood. Good water. Funny story: Was feeling accomplished (and a bit bushed) after having gone up and back through the rocks. When I got to the end, I met a party of "plainfolk" backpacking the other way--including three ladies in long skirts and Lancaster kapps. They were on their third day, and looked as fresh as flowers! I'm impressed.

lovely train with some great views

cool place , need to be experienced hiker. We did a day trip but nany of the hikers are traveling along thd trail from state to

Wed Sep 19 2018

This trail can get a bit intense. If you like scrambling then this is a perfect place for you. Knife Edge had a beautiful view but I personally did not enough all the rocks simply because I was rarely able to take in the surroundings because I had my eyes on the ground 99% of the time. I wouldn't do it again but that's just a personal preference. I was not expecting my whole trip to be rocks and car size boulders, plus a mountain on boulders to climb. I gave it 4 starts because I know plenty of people enjoy all the rocks but for those of you who prefer a variety on the trail this might not be for you. We turned back about 1/2 mile after knife Edge because it was getting dark and we couldn't find a campsite. We ended up camping at the campsite right before (NB) the power lines and that was a perfect spot with a little back space perfect for a tent setup rock free and a beautiful view.

Tue Aug 01 2017

I had a good time hiking this I did the first half in torrential downpours so you can't doubt and finish the rest from bake oven knob to Lehigh Gap the next day a good mixture of features and you can never go wrong with the view from the knob

Tue Jun 27 2017

First backpacking trip if my life, had a terrific time! Can't wait to do more!

Sun Jun 25 2017

absolutely love this hike. It was very strenuous but well worth it.

Sat Jun 10 2017

We hiked 10 miles out and back. Very strenuous with some amazing views.

Sat Mar 11 2017

Sun Jun 23 2013

My brother and I took our three boys on the trail Sunday for an overnight hike/camp. We camped overnight at the New Tripoli campsite. There are about 8 satellite sites there and the spring is running at the bottom of the site trail.

Sat Sep 01 2012

This was a very challenging section of the trail. We did it over 2 days with two young boys. One big drawback was the fact that the springs were dried up at the Bake Oven Knob shelter. Lots of great overlooks.

Sat Aug 11 2012

Great overnight trip...if you bring your own water. Hiked from 309 to the Bake Oven Knob shelter and back. This hike would easily have been 5 stars if the springs at the Bake Oven Knob shelter weren't dried up. We brought 70oz. hydration bladders planning to refill at the springs. All 3 springs at the shelter were bone dry. At this point there are still roughly 7mi. left to the Leigh gap so we were forced to turn back immediately to locate water for the night. Thankfully I had brought germicidal tablets and we were able to scoop enough water out of some tire ruts to fill our 2 bladders. This enabled us to stay out overnight and then trek back in the morning a short distance to water. All in all a fun hike/climb. The rock ridge is a difficult feature and I would suggest not attempting if you have any fear of heights and or are not confident in your balance.