Appalachian Trail: PA 309 to Lehigh Gap

Appalachian Trail: PA 309 to Lehigh Gap is a 13.5 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Andreas, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

This challenging section of trail will require you to navigate over and around car sized boulders. This section of trail runs along the top of the ridge. There are plenty of fantastic views, two shelters, and multiple campsites that aren't listed on the map. You'll also get to hike over the Lehigh Tunnel, but it's hard to know when you're actually over it. This is a rugged section of trail with a lot of boulders to navigate over.

I had a good time hiking this I did the first half in torrential downpours so you can't doubt and finish the rest from bake oven knob to Lehigh Gap the next day a good mixture of features and you can never go wrong with the view from the knob

First backpacking trip if my life, had a terrific time! Can't wait to do more!

absolutely love this hike. It was very strenuous but well worth it.

We hiked 10 miles out and back. Very strenuous with some amazing views.

Sunday, June 23, 2013

My brother and I took our three boys on the trail Sunday for an overnight hike/camp. We camped overnight at the New Tripoli campsite. There are about 8 satellite sites there and the spring is running at the bottom of the site trail.

Saturday, September 01, 2012

This was a very challenging section of the trail. We did it over 2 days with two young boys. One big drawback was the fact that the springs were dried up at the Bake Oven Knob shelter. Lots of great overlooks.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Great overnight trip...if you bring your own water. Hiked from 309 to the Bake Oven Knob shelter and back. This hike would easily have been 5 stars if the springs at the Bake Oven Knob shelter weren't dried up. We brought 70oz. hydration bladders planning to refill at the springs. All 3 springs at the shelter were bone dry. At this point there are still roughly 7mi. left to the Leigh gap so we were forced to turn back immediately to locate water for the night. Thankfully I had brought germicidal tablets and we were able to scoop enough water out of some tire ruts to fill our 2 bladders. This enabled us to stay out overnight and then trek back in the morning a short distance to water. All in all a fun hike/climb. The rock ridge is a difficult feature and I would suggest not attempting if you have any fear of heights and or are not confident in your balance.