Appalachian Trail: PA 183 South to Kimmel Lookout

Appalachian Trail: PA 183 South to Kimmel Lookout is a 19.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bethel, Pennsylvania that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This section makes a great weekend trip. There are multiple camp sites, scenic views, and a boulder field to explore. This is really one of the best sections of trail to hike. There are multiple scenic overlooks. There's also a boulder field, a reservoir, plenty of access to water, and multiple campsites.

We left one car at either end and did a nice 4 hour hike. The was a lot of water on the trail for about a mile on the 183 end. It was about 85° but there was plenty of shade from the forest.

Not a review...looking for insight.
Me and my husband are planning on backpacking this trail overnight in early August. Are there any considerations that I should be aware of in terms of camping and parking?
Do I need to reserve a campsite?
Is my car ok overnight in the parking lot at Rt 183

Did this as a long out and back day hike. Ended up at 21.5 miles after a few side trails. Typical PA rocks throughout but not that bad once you are used to them. Cool boulder field near the reservoir about 5 miles from the parking area at 183. There are also springs near both ends of this hike. 1 about a mile from 183 and one near the 501 shelter on the other end.

We did this hike but parked at 645 parking lot and did it as an in and out hiking North to Hertlein Campsite. Hike was rocky but it's PA we are known for our rocks. Campsite was great there are multiple spots to camp with fire pits. Fresh spring work water that feeds into the reservoir. The water was cold so we chose not to swim. Also neat boulder field to explore.

Did this section twice in life not a significant elevation gain but a good walk none the less. The water is fresh cold spring water that heals the soul. I seriously do believe that. And when i was there 2 thru hikers were jig'ing fish in the dam and cooking them over a campfire and man...that IS living!

The reservoir is a great place to camp. Lots of decent campsites along the trail and around the resevoir.

This is not a review!

I have a question: my friend and I are looking for a nice backpacking/hiking trip over 24-48hours on the AT. The description of this trail says it's an out & back trail and listed as 19.1 miles. Is that a "round trip" total or each way? I'm new to backpacking and want to take my time on my first AT trip. Any help or advice/suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks!

This section was rocky like all the sections I've done on the A.T. However there were some pretty cool things to see along the way. Hertlein campsite and the old reservoir were very inviting, however we wanted to stay the night at 501 shelter, which was pretty awesome. A quick walk across 501 heading south leads to an awesome lookout to watch the sun go down. Even saw a timber rattlesnake!!

I did stay two nights here which allowed me an entire Saturday to really explore a little off trail and take in the scenery. theres a lot of camping space big enough for a group or three! I made camp at two locations and passed a flask of rum on Saturday night with a thru hiker who was very glad I had a source to charge his phone and food for his trip as he was rationing before his restock point in 3 days. as always wear appropriate footwear and be on the lookout for wildlife.

this was a fun section of the AT. Met some great people and saw some wonderful views. no need to stock up on water as there is a reservoir just a few miles in. I took my time at the Boulder field and also the lookouts especially the first Vista which has a sweet natural bench. there I stayed for 30 min out and again on my way back. and the boulder field was a lot of fun for free running just be aware of snakes. I saw a few little ones but deep in the rocks. I consider myself a bit of a trail Angel so my pack is always heavy with extra snacks batteries and perishables. other than the heavy pack a very easy hike all around.

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Nice. convenient.

Sunday, June 14, 2015

we took this trail to the reservoir, which was 5 miles from 183. so 10 miles total, the setting at the reservoir was beautiful though. there are also several great spots to camp along the trail.