Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Appalachian Trail: Lake Lenape to Totts Gap via Mount Minsi

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(83)
Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area

Appalachian Trail: Lake Lenape to Totts Gap via Mount Minsi is a 10.6 mile loop trail located near Delaware Water Gap, Pennsylvania that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from March until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,581 feet Route Type: Loop

The Delaware Water Gap is the spot on the PA/NJ border were the mighty Delaware river turns sharply East in its course and cuts through the Appalachian Mountains. There are a couple of nice spots just below the summit of Mt. Minsi that provide lovely views of this feature as well as of Mount Tammany. The old fire tower on Minsi's summit is long gone, only the base of the concrete pillars remains. There is however a massive, fenced-in radio tower further west along the trail. The turn-around point of this Hike, Tott's Gap is little more than a dip in the ridgeline where the AT passes across the corner of an old stone building foundation.

So this was one of my favorite hikes to date! But I will say word of caution, I would walk up the white trial which really is an inclined walking path and then come down the white trail through the woods. The reason being is that the white trail through the woods was extremely difficult to come down. It had a ton of rocks and you had to be crafty with your decent. If you are looking for a challenge then go for it but it was a little intense at times. The group I was with we are all in decent shape and we had a hard time going up the walking trail it got your heart rate going and it’s all rocks. The nice thing is that it’s wider so there’s more room for passing. The white trail is EXTREMELY narrow at times with a pretty big drop off. I would avoid taking dogs on the white trail but take them on the walking path. It was an awesome hike just be prepared that it’s extremely rocky and can be quick to go from wife to narrow. Also the hike doesn’t end where most people stop “at the top” there’s actually another section that takes you a little higher up that isn’t as crowded.

Nice trail with nice views! Lots of bugs and wildlife on this one. My dog sniffed out a snake and saw a deer right in front of us!

Please be aware that this trail is almost 12 mi long according to All Trail GPS. Nice hike but would recommend to take during spring or late fall because leaves will make almost impossible to see the surrounding

This was our first time hiking for the season and it was extremely fun. The views of the water were beautiful & the trails were fairly simple to follow. It was about 70° & pretty sunny. Would definitely recommend for individual hiking, group hiking & trails are also kid-friendly!!

flooded

Great views of the Gap from this trail. fun enough hike to draw me and my wife a 2nd time from Philly out to do it. Though this trail does get flooded out easily from about miles 3 to 5 before you turn around. The pup certainly didn't mind :)

Great hike! Nice to see the forest come alive!

Had an awesome hike with awesome friends. It was a bit chilly but worth every second. Want to see it in the springtime so..... I'll be back!

With Jess, Martha, Sarah, Mia, Cole and Charlie.

the views were amazing! next time I'll bring my dogs. totally recommend for any hiker

I've done this twice as a part of my Kilimanjaro training. Good trails...views are good. Not as hard as Mt. Tammany on the New Jersey side.

Good hike up hill to the top. Rocky path. Moderately challenging & enjoyable.

Fri May 24 2019

Tott’s gap to Lenape Lake- 1 way-4.7 miles—we parked at Tott’s gap road and walked up- there was a gravel area to park before walking up this gravel road

Sat Apr 20 2019

It was a beautiful trail and moderate!