Learn more

Appalachian Trail, Hosack Run and Locust Gap Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(52)
Caledonia State Park

Appalachian Trail, Hosack Run and Locust Gap Loop is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fayetteville, Pennsylvania that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,243 feet Route Type: Loop

Presents a stiff climb up front and another when going around the loop. The rest is pretty even and pleasant. I read advice from other reviews suggesting the counter clockwise approach. I would second that. Rhododendrons are in full bloom and line the trail throughout. That was the highlight and the prettiest feature of the hike. When I go on a hike with a climb, usually I like to get to a place where I can see out. This trail was missing that. I would have rated it 3 stars, but the foliage bumped it up a notch.

Great trail. Recommend taking the left fork and going clockwise around the loop. Beautiful mountain laurel in full bloom all over.

Great hike, beautiful flowers in bloom. Watch out for the rattlesnakes though! Passed 2!

Chose this loop for my son’s first backpacking trip. 11 miles over two days. We started at the AT parking lot on Rt 30 across from Caledonia and walked through the park to the AT. Super rocky incline right out of the gate, but we were rewarded with blooming mountain laurels as far as the eye could see! Turned onto Locust Gap, then Hosack Run trail. There were a couple of campsites on Locust Gap, but no water. We found a place to camp on Hosack right after the creek crossing. The creek isn’t super impressive, but flowing enough to filter water. Campsite was a little rocky and sloped, but we did fine in our tent there. Very secluded. We didn’t see or hear another person until the next day. Day two we followed Hosack back to AT south. Stopped for lunch at Quarry Gap shelter which is the best shelter I’ve come across so far. So clean and maintained! Continued on AT south to 3 Valley Trail. This part was underwhelming. The trail goes down a steep decline and isn’t well maintained, then meets up with Ramblers trail which runs along Rt 30, so lots of traffic noise, until you get back into Caledonia. Aside from the last mile or so, I loved this trip. It was a perfect loop to test out my 9 year old’s abilities and let him get a feel for what it’s all about. Great news! He loved it and can’t wait to get on the trail again!

This was a beautiful hike. True, there are no overlooks, but there is so much else to make up for it. The mountain laurel was plentiful and nearly at peak bloom on the AT and Hosack Run. It was magical! We talked to Jim, the Quarry Gap "Innkeeper" who was remarking the trail, and he suggested we continue on the Locust Gap Trail to the Long Pine Reservoir for a good lunch spot. We took his advice. It is about a 30 minute hike from the intersection of the Locust Gap Trail and Hosack Run. Instead of hiking the Hosack Run Trail, continue on the Locust Gap Trail for about 30 minutes, crossing a field with power lines. The reservoir is just past the power lines. Retrace steps after lunch and pick up the Hosack Run. We loved Hosack Run. We were hiking through tunnels of rhododendrons and mountain laurel. There were lots of private areas for camping. We enjoyed the stream crossings and the conversation at Quarry Gap Shelter with Jim. I would definitely consider this hike, especially during this time of year.We thought it was a good workout with the uphill.

Like someone else said, not hard but a good workout. If those are azaleas then it will be gorgeous place when they bloom. Few creek crossings and some switchbacks. Shelter area was beautiful and welcoming, PATC did a great job.

Rhododendrons galore! Hiking in the fog was magical. Lots of beautiful things to see. Nothing too challenging, but a good workout. Some very rocky sections and the creeks we had to cross were very full so waterproof boots and poles were helpful. As the day got nicer we started seeing a lot more people on the trail. Had to move off to the side fairly often to stay socially distanced...

A hike were the trail is fun, challenging at times, & pleasure to take in the varied sites: impressive rhododendron, mountain laurel, small ponds (good photo ops), fun stream/run crossings, lush moss, nice shelter on AT. Temp was 35 when we began & 45 when we return to parking lot. Recommend hiking boots due to several rocky sections. Great break from the Coronavirus event. Also took a spur trail on way down called 3 Valley Trail (which for us is an easier decent than last section of AT) and brings you out onto Bramble trail. Bramble goes back to Caledonia - either way you take it.

Perfect for a day hike. NOT FOR KIDS lol. Also, make sure you aren’t scared of a couple hills. Overall a very awesome trail. Also features the Quarry Gap Shelter, one of the coolest AT shelters in my opinion.

Gorgeous trail. The sections through rhododendrons and laurel were absolutely magical. Great work out too.

Had done the east side of this loop in the past and only recently hiked the west side up to the AT. Both sides are very similar with lots of rhododendron near the streams and good amount of elevation. Was a little disappointed with the east side...thought it would be near the stream more of the way, but is only briefly for a couple crossings before it starts ascending up the mountain. I was planning to come back down that side and take a connecting trail which AllTrails maps shows going from Hosack Run up to Wigwam Hill, but I could not find the split/trail anywhere where it showed on the map. The Quarry Gap shelter area is nice (didn't backpack, but looks like cool place to do an overnight).

Sun May 26 2019

A nice forest trail. Very muddy at points, and several stream crossings. Good hiking shoes recommended!!