Allegheny Gorge Trail

Allegheny Gorge Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Polk, Pennsylvania that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Awesome trails to explore. May be challenging for someone that does not hike all the time. Yellow blazes mark all of the trails and signs marking the trails are infrequent. I made a 4.5 mile loop using the Dennison trail and the Gorge trail.

The time I did it I was carrying a one year old baby in a sling and I was with children and another couple who were carrying a large five month old baby in a backpack.

The children all did fine and loved playing in the creek and the bridges.

I am in good shape, stay busy and occasionally workout. For me doing the trail with a 20+ pound child wasn't difficult; however the couple I was with found it to be a *very* difficult hike but their primary pass time and hobby is watching movies.

The yellow blazes are well marked on trees but I found them to be mildly confusing. I think as long as you stay on the paths with yellow marks eventually you'll end up where you want to go. "All roads lead to Rome." (At least with yellow marks on the trees.)

When you just arrive in the parking lot, before you park, look to THE RIGHT and you'll see a small dirt road, that's most likely barricaded off, that people can't drive down. This is where you start. Go around the barricade or under it. There is no "trail head" sign. Once you have walked down the dirt road for awhile it will become obvious where to go since you'll being seeing the signs.

we found the trail well marked, and the trail map found in other comments helped. Beautiful views and well paced inclines and declines made for fun yet rewarding hiking.

Great trail!! Clean and marked. A lot of people say do counter-clockwise to avoid big climb... but that was half the fun!!! And its really not that bad!

The trails are now well marked

Excellent trail, horribly marked so keep a map

Great trail. Difficult, but worth it. We brought our relatives from Texas and they were impressed with the overlook, the gorge, and the old growth forest.

The trailhead is not well marked, and it's on a state hunting ground. at some points the trail itself is not well marked. the view is phenomenal. the trek into and out of the gorge is rough but worth it. I'd recommend gong counterclockwise around the loop unless you're looking for a really steep uphill climb. bridges down in the gorge are a really fun touch. good for dogs and humans.
We saw a porcupine!

Nice Loop. Can easily be done in 2,5-3h.
Especially the part down at the river with all the little bridges is nice...

LOVED this trail. Has everything I want out of a hike. Water, terrain, rocks, & the ability to "go off trail". I will be back to do this hike again!

From reading the previous reviews, I was cautious about "finding" the trail head... but with this app (All trails) and knowing to follow the outlook trail.. then just look for yellow or red markers to get down to the bottom of the gorge... it was super easy to navigate and to explore without trepidation.

Have fun and hike on!

nice trail, not labeled Alleghany River Gorge trail anywhere along the trail, multiple trails crisscrossing.
once you start down into the gorge, even the blazes disappear.
Shame it would be nice if marked!

Tuesday, November 08, 2016