Allegheny Gorge Trail

Allegheny Gorge Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Polk, Pennsylvania that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

we found the trail well marked, and the trail map found in other comments helped. Beautiful views and well paced inclines and declines made for fun yet rewarding hiking.

Great trail!! Clean and marked. A lot of people say do counter-clockwise to avoid big climb... but that was half the fun!!! And its really not that bad!

The trails are now well marked

Excellent trail, horribly marked so keep a map

Great trail. Difficult, but worth it. We brought our relatives from Texas and they were impressed with the overlook, the gorge, and the old growth forest.

The trailhead is not well marked, and it's on a state hunting ground. at some points the trail itself is not well marked. the view is phenomenal. the trek into and out of the gorge is rough but worth it. I'd recommend gong counterclockwise around the loop unless you're looking for a really steep uphill climb. bridges down in the gorge are a really fun touch. good for dogs and humans.
We saw a porcupine!

Nice Loop. Can easily be done in 2,5-3h.
Especially the part down at the river with all the little bridges is nice...

LOVED this trail. Has everything I want out of a hike. Water, terrain, rocks, & the ability to "go off trail". I will be back to do this hike again!

From reading the previous reviews, I was cautious about "finding" the trail head... but with this app (All trails) and knowing to follow the outlook trail.. then just look for yellow or red markers to get down to the bottom of the gorge... it was super easy to navigate and to explore without trepidation.

Have fun and hike on!

nice trail, not labeled Alleghany River Gorge trail anywhere along the trail, multiple trails crisscrossing.
once you start down into the gorge, even the blazes disappear.
Shame it would be nice if marked!

While this is my "home turf" persay, I must admit that I never really explored this area until about 5 years ago. All of the land known as the Kennerdell Tract lies within about 15 miles of my home. Every review I've read that was written by others on this site is spot on. The trails here, while well signed at intersections, are poorly blazed. Every trail I've ever been on in this piece has either a yellow or a red blaze (some places have both). My son is presently a Life Scout in his troop. Our plan for his Eagle project is to reblaze some of these trails to make them more navigable.

If you plan to visit this area, my best suggestion would be to go to this website -

http://www.mobilemaplets.com/showplace/11251 -

and print the map before your visit. Also remember that in the event you get turned around and lose your way, following a waterway downstream or heading downhill will take you to the Allegheny River and to civilization.

There is a primitive campground along the river that is hike to/boat to known as Danner's Campground. Some literature or websites may refer to it as Danner's Landing or Danner's Rest. It is an area along the Allegheny River with picnic tables, pit latrines and non-potable water (just boil it first). Keep in mind, though, that while it is located in a wilderness area, there are houses right across the river that produce all the sounds of civilization, like automobile noise, ATV's, chain saws, sounds of people who have consumed too much alcohol having what they think is a "good time"

All in all - this is an area that is very worth your time to visit and explore. My advice is - get a map, start small and expand your exploration with every visit.

At the end of the day, this was a gem of a hike with the added bonus of a spectacular view of the Allegheny River and surrounding mountains from the overlook
point.

There was very little signage at the parking lot to direct you to the trail entrance, so we were very appreciative of the reviews that preceded us, which helped us locate the entrance a short walk down the State Game Lands road just across from the entrance to the parking lot.

We found the hike to be a very gentle one to start, but it increased in difficulty as we went along. We followed the well marked yellow blazed trail but noticed there were very few maps along the way to give you a perspective of how far along the trail you've come.

We enjoyed the suspension bridges and the challenging climb to overlook point. But after completing the majority of the trail, we somehow missed the "end of the loop" and wound up at another parking lot with no signage or maps and we had no cell service to check our map on Alltrails. (Unfortunately our GPS also ran out of battery power, that was our fault).

With time running against us for daylight, and no way to discern where our parking lot was relative to us, we faced the challenging task of re-tracing our steps back through the whole trail at a much quicker pace.

We feel as though there might have been a path back to parking somewhere near the outlook point, but some trees had fallen making the path look like it had been closed. We aren't quite sure where we went wrong, but we absolutely missed an important sign somewhere.

So in the end, we really enjoyed the scenery and unique features of this trail, but would caution people who don't know the trail well to give a lot of time to complete it in good daylight, because there are only a few signs along the way, but no maps and no cell service for most of the hike.

As others have said as well, this trail backs on to State Game Lands, so be sure to make your presence known by talking etc.

Great hike. Boot camp at times. Would do it again with more time on our side.

The trail was great once we figured out how to get started on it. Following the yellow markers is definitely the way to go. We saw lots of interesting things along the way.

Great trail! Took a couple minutes to find the beginning. Great parking spots. I didn't realize that we had to walk down the far right truck path until we walked into the trail start which was on the left a little ways down the truck path. Once that was figured out the trail was pretty easy to follow. We followed the outlook trail which took us to the beautiful outlook and then we continued the trail and it wrapped around to the suspension bridges! Loved the bridges! They are very well maintained! At first I thought the trail was a medium hike. Then I had to follow the trail back up the hills... We saw proof that there are bears, so be prepared and be careful!

Hiked here with Rueger. Parked in the lot at the end of Dewoody. The trail head there shows the trail name as, "Kennerdell". There's a whole really nice trail system back in this area. Check out maps for Clear Creek State Forest (not the State Park) and you'll find a detail. Be sure to hike down the hill to Dennison Run creek and see the suspension bridges. This area in particular is just a spectacular view of a class PA forest. I wish I could live right there! The Overlook point above the Allegheny River is amazing. Met a nice man named "Bruce" this day who had been going here for years with his wife. I hope to see/find Bruce again.