Allegheny Front Trail

Allegheny Front Trail is a 39.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Philipsburg, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

We loved it. I really loved the sections where it was ferns in all directions. Would have liked a few more established camp sites in the later part of south western quadrant. Took 3 days 2 nights to walk clockwise. Would love to do counter next time

Well marked and lots of different scenery to see. Campsites seemed plentiful on the first half, but not nearly as many on the second half. We started at 504 and went counter clockwise. Great campsites at approximately 5 - 12 - 17 - 20 - 21 mile markers. Didn't see many "pre-made" campsites after that. However, we did not end up completing the entire loop because we did 20 miles both days, and it only got us to beaver road the second day. According to our mileage, this loop is more like 45-46 miles and we were mentally done at 40. We had the GPS tracking us the entire time and weren't even close to being done at 39 miles.

Spent 5 days hiking the full 40 mi loop! Started at 6 mile rd and PN 504 and headed clockwise down the trail. Was beautiful and the trails weren't too difficult for having 60lb packs on our backs. Seen some wildlife here and there, but nothing out of the norm. You can choose where you want to camp if you want or there are existing sites that you can use as well. There are plenty of small creeks to grab water from while on the trail and lots of trees for hammocks. At the top of the mountains there were a couple of good vistas but a lot of the time there were just too many trees in the way to get a good view. It was still beautiful, just wish they'd trim a few trees so you could see the beautiful expanse that lays in front of you. Bugs weren't too bad, few spots the mosquitos and flies were bad, however other then that, pretty easy trail. I'd rate the trail as an easy/moderate one.

This trail is quite possibly the most underutilized trail in central Pennsylvania. It has a trail race/run on it that is historically done the end of July. 20 miles of the AFT are used for the race, so trail maintenance on this section is really good. The trail itself is gorgeous and very hike able or run able. With connecting trails leaving the Black Moshannon State Park area, access is really pretty good as well. The temperature on the trail is usually 5-10 degrees cooler than surrounding areas (both winter and summer).
Looking for a well groomed end of summer/early fall hike on a gorgeous trail, this is it.

The three star rating may be influenced by my inexperience, pack weight, age and weather. I'd do the trail again under other circumstances. I was going to go as far as I could for as long as I could and knew I would not do the whole trail. Starting at Black Moshannon SP I picked up a great trail map of the trail and some advice from the Ranger staff. Don't take the trail without this free map. The Ranger suggested I park in the back lot of the swimming area and take the Shingle Mill Trail out to the AFT loop. This worked perfectly. The Shingle runs along the Moshannon Creek which keeps good company. The trail was mostly flat out to the loop and went through some very narrow sections, with lots of Rhododendrons. It must be fantastic when they are in bloom. Once on the AFT I went right to see the eastern part of the trail which had more vistas on the map. The trail continued flat and along creeks which provided plenty of water. After six hours of hiking I had found my first gentle hill and was now hiking along Benner Run. I have to say that the trail was recently re-blazed and there were no opportunities for even a novice to lose his way. The major concern I had was that I was not able to find suitable campsites. The trails were either to narrow the thickly brushed, or rocky for a tent site. As it was getting towards evening I wondered if I would find any site. Eventually I settled on a small open patch adjacent to the trail. Since I had not seen a single hiker all day, I figured that site would be ok. As nice as the weather was the first day, the next day intermittent showers started in the morning to dampen my spirits. With a bad forecast for the next few days I knew I'd shorten the trip. I hoped on the park's Tram Road for an express hike to the vista points and met back up with the ATF at Rattlesnake Rd. The east vista section of the trail was much more challenging than the first day. There is a lot of up and down and the trails are sometimes rocky. Going south along this section of the trail the vistas got progressively better. The last two have been partially cleared for better views. The best of the marked vistas is "Ralph's Majestic Vista" which is the furthest south stop. With more rain in the forecast I decided my best option was to hike back to the State Park and spend the night there. I took North Run Rd back to my car. Once at the SP I found out they don't have individual camping facilities. There is a group camping spot and camper spots that I think were closed. Basically there were only a few people in the park and they were day trippers. I never saw a single person on the trail in two days and only a few pick up trucks on the park roads. At the end of my two days, I was beat. In the future, I'd look for better weather and a plan for better campsites.

Saturday, July 02, 2016

We started at the shingle mill approach trail on Tuesday night around 10.. finished around noon on Friday. Weather was perfect, park was beautiful!
a few places were a little confusing, they could use more blazes...
water sources were pretty good considering there was no rain for a few days..
I definitely will do this one again!

Sunday, November 01, 2015

It was enjoyable. Beautiful views. Plenty of water supply. Multiple creek hopping.

Saturday, September 05, 2015

Spent 2 nights on the trail and did about 28 miles. I had the updated guide and map from pahikes.com which was helpful for finding water and campsites. The allegheny front itself was very nice with 3 vistas. They were a bit grown in but not as bad as what previous reviews had me expecting them to be. Once you're past the front there isn't a whole lot to see and the forest was surprisingly not very dense and we were incredibly hot making for a not so enjoyable trip. The trails were very well maintained though and appeared to have been re-marked recently making it easy to follow.

Thursday, May 21, 2015

I did this trail this past weekend. I started at Tram Rd. and Rattlesnake Pike and went clockwise around the trail. Started on Sunday at 9:30am and ended on Monday at 6:30pm. It was definitly a stretch for me to complete it in that time. Lots of snakes on the trail. Saw 7 total. 4 non-poisonous snakes, one copperhead, one water moccasion, and one very large and nervous timber rattlesnake. Watch your step. There are some really nice campsite along nearby to water. And next time I do the trail, I'll take more time and bring my fishing rod. Lots of great trout fishing along the trail. I used Ben Cramers guide. I'll attach the link below. However, I created a simpler guide from his that I could keep in my pocket. Let me know if you want it. (tomlamborn@yahoo.com)

Saturday, July 13, 2013

We just finished this trail over the past couple days and it was a moderate-difficult trail. It is very rocky and your feet get soar pretty quick. The northern part of the trail was very nice, however when we got to the SE part of the trail both of our trail guides were wrong with campsite locations and the vistas were overgrown.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Friday, March 15, 2013

I hiked this trail a few years ago with 2 friends. There are some absolutely amazing views on this trail. We hiked in, camped for a night and hiked back out the next day, so I didn't see it all but what I did see makes me want to hike the whole trail.

Friday, August 26, 2011

This is a great spot for moderate hiking. Note that I didn't do the whole forty-mile loop, only about three hours in and back from the intersection of the Allegheny Front Trail with PA-504 (Rattlesnake Pike). Just in this short section of trail you can see some amazing vistas to the south and southeast. I was walking with a six-year-old and a four-year-old, and even though it was a pretty challenging hike for them (lots of scrambling up and down) they could appreciate the scenery and the trail's natural features (hidden springs, fallen trees, strange-colored mushrooms, interesting bugs, lizards, etc.)

Friday, September 03, 2010

The prettiest hike ever. 3 nites, 4 days. 70's. At lest 6 spectacular vistas to gaze from. The moshannon River, running red as clay. This is a do-over hike, it was that nice.