Yocum Ridge Trail

Yocum Ridge Trail is a 17.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Rhododendron, Oregon that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 17.9 miles Elevation Gain: 4,478 feet Route Type: Out & Back

bridge out

Trail head isn’t quite accurate, I started at The romana trail head. Reported road to trail head no longer accessible.

We hike August 31-September 1 (Labor Day weekend) with a dog. We started at about 6:45AM and made it to the first big view point of Mount Hood around 11:45PM, with some stops. We set up camp right there (a great site to the right of the view point), left our backpacking gear at camp and took day packs the rest of the way up to Yocum Ridge. We were expecting heavy traffic on the holiday weekend, but once we got past Ramona is was not bad at all! We were actual one of only three other backpacking groups we saw in the Yocum ridge area. We somehow didn't notice the log route in the first time crossing the river and waded across. This was non-negligible in difficulty with a full pack on and with a dog, and likely more difficult in the spring. I'd use the log. It is note worthy with that you really don't have any views until the end, it's a long gradual grind through the woods. So, going all the way up to Yocum ridge is the BEST part- don't pass it up!! The views are incredible and on a clear day you can see many other big cascade peaks. Water options past Ramona are limited. We saw 1 location with moving water (a small trickle of a stream off the trail the right on the ascent) and 2 different still water locations (both of which would not have been ideal). I don't know how these water sources fluctuate over the year, so I'd say if you're staying overnight at Yocum Ridge, pack all the water you will absolutely need. Overall a solid hike with killer views at the end.

Hiked July 5-6, 2019 with a dog. Despite the fact that it was very misty and we didn't get any views from the top due to mist, this was still a trail worth hiking. Ramona falls were beautiful and the wildflowers were simply spectacular, especially the abundant avalanche lilies (I looked up the flower after the hike, hope I've identified correctly!). The incline was fairly steady so not too hard in the legs overall. For those wanting to bring a pup, the river crossing was the only slight tricky part. On the way up, we tried carrying her as we walked across the logs. On the way back, we let her walk across on her own (but harnessed). the latter of those ended up working better because with carrying you can run the risk of getting off balance. Otherwise, no issues for the dog!

I hiked the Yocum Ridge trail for the first time today as a day hike. I made it part of the Ramona Falls loop hike too. My GPS said it was just over 20 miles round trip from the parking lot. It was a nice hike. Easy trail and gradual elevation change until you get towards the end, then it becomes challenging. The views up there are beautiful, but no views until you get close to the end. It’s well worth it. Beautiful wildflower meadows. Up on the ridge the trail disappears so use your best judgment on how to continue the hike. I could hear a lot of rocks falling up on the mountain so it probably wouldn’t be smart to go too far. I went as far as the last trees. Lots of chipmunks, birds, pikas, flies, bees, and wasps. The trail gets narrow and overgrown when you get close to the meadows. There are trees over the trail you have to climb over at different spots.

Rad day hike if you’re moving at a good pace. Did this last Saturday, total mileage is actually 19 miles, made it in 6.5 hours total moving time which included running the final 3.5 miles. Not a strenuous hike if you’re active and fit, just on the longer side. The sub alpine meadows are overflowing with wildflowers!

Long and hard but awesome.

recorded Recording - Aug 25, 08:20 AM

very nice trail. beautiful views. pretty well maintained. the last mile or two were pretty difficult.

Beautiful hike! Completed as a long day hike. The slope of the trail was completely manageable over the lengthy distance of the hike. My legs and feet felt pretty fresh until the last few miles returning to the car. The wildflower meadows were definitely a bonus and the views of Mt Hood were awesome! No bridge crossing the Sandy River, but plenty of sturdy down trees to make it safely across. The paved road to the Ramona Falls TH had some nasty potholes right before the parking lot that could be a bit difficult for a vehicle with less clearance...that being said, many cars were in the lot and made it just fine.

Long but gradual incline

Fun hike, clouds cleared up some so we could see Mt Hood that evening. The incline was never too bad and foot traffic defintely dies off after the falls as well. The "brigde" across Sandy river is washed out and a little hard to find unless There are people crossing already. There were a couple open campsites at the end of the trail too. This was my sister's first backpacking trip and she survived despite some rain and even said it was still a top 5 experience of her life now so feel free to interpret that however you would like.

Pretty well maintained. The inclinations come in sections so it gives you a little pit of a break. Overall beautiful hike with just enough of a challenge to get a good sweat going.

Did this hike on July 14th, 2019. The road leadin up to the trailhead is paved and is accesible to any type lf vehicle. The view at the ridge was incredible! We saw that the trail continued to climb, past the final viewpoint and followed that until we were stopped by the snow.

7/12/19-7/13/19: Spent one night out here and it was gorgeous. Snow makes the trail impassible (at least for me) at around 6,300 feet, but there’s no snow on the trail at all up until this point. There is a stream just to the right of the trail at around 5,300 feet that is your best spot to fill up between Ramona falls and the top. Note that there are no fires permitted on Yocum ridge—there is a sign indicating this just after the beginning of the ridge trail, but plenty of evidence of people ignoring this can be found littering the otherwise beautiful landscape.

Nice loop to take up to Bald mountain then past yokum ridge and down to Ramona falls. The gully has nice views and the three stream crossings are manageable. It is almost a 14 mile loop starting At Ramona Falls parking lot

So I did this today (6/23/2019) snow was basically nonexistent. It is an incredibly beautiful place to hike. Well I mean, once you get past all of the terrible, slow, and horrible to listen to “hikers” (yes quotations are needed) on their way to Ramona Falls. Also, I would rate this hike as moderate, I believe it only gets a “hard” difficulty due to the miles, I honestly sweat more eating Thai food...that being said this is an outstanding day hike and highly recommend it.

I love this hike and it’s a great workout. Right now there are 2 streams past ramona falls you can get water but mid summer they tend to dry up. A few patches of snow on the trail but still easy to follow. Little baby mosquitoes hatching. I only hiked up to the camp site which gave me a panoramic view that was breathtaking. I hear there is still snow on the ridge And the fog roles in fast any time of the year wiping out your visibility. Unfortunately the temperatures dropped last night and it was windy. I hoped to relax in the sun but woke up to cold, fog and rain. Still a beautiful hike but i recommend waiting 2-3 more weeks for the flowers, better weather and hiking up the ridge.

July 19th trail report: There is snow. It doesnt start until the last 3 miles, and is easily passed in normal hiking shows UNTIL the last mile where, on the ridge, there is literally like 4 feet of snow stacked up with no end in sight. This is where we ended for obvious reasons. Passing this point with spikes would be possible but also still intimidating. If you want to see where this is on a map, look at the end of the trail and for the straight vertical section of the trail. This pile of snow happens early on in that straight section Otherwise great trail, no complaints. There is one sign at the fork in the trail about a half mile after the falls that the sign is a bit misleading which way its pointing. Just remember to always check a map after hitting a junction. Lastly the first stream crossing is very easy as long as you are comfortable crossing a tree while bending over and holding another tree as a railing over a rushing river. Good luck!

bridge out

It was a good and tough hike up until we ran out of water way way earlier than expected. Also the snow. There was a lot of it. Decently packed but still difficult to get through without snowshoes. Ended up heading back to below the snow line to camp for the night. We’ll have to try again for the ridge later in the season.

Did this last summer. The unique views above the tree line are as good as it gets. Only be aware that the best views come at the end of trail and this is a long hike. Also, horse flies are a bit of a problem when not moving.

Sunday, September 02, 2018

8/31/18 Incredible sweeping view of the west side of the mountain. Sunset was amazing. At least 4 camp spots near the top. King Boletes on the lower switchbacks made this an even more rewarding hike. I did it as a day hike and descended in the dark. See pics!

Sunday, September 02, 2018

I backpacked in, camped overnight and then back out the next day. This hike was 22 miles round trip to the top of the true ridge. There is no water source past Romana falls except a puddle that may dry up by the time you get there. About 40 minutes from the Yokum ridge split there’s a hornets nest. Just be mindful of it. The didn’t bother me but other hikers were stung. Beautiful view at the top. There is a trail that goes right that is super sketchy. There is a barely there trail to the left that i felt so much safer on but still a bit dangerous. Drop your large pack if you summit the ridge. Have fun!!