Woods Memorial Natural Area

Woods Memorial Natural Area is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Portland, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September.

This was the first park I visited when I moved to town and it is a magical little gem tucked into the middle of the bustling sprawl of suburban Portland. On a hot day the temp drops noticeably as you descend into the ravine along the little creek. On several occasions I’ve been greeted by a very inquisitive owl.

Beautiful trails in the middle of the city. Each intersection is marked, and each path has a name. I saw a family with kids enjoying their time, otherwise I was alone.

I often walk these trails and it makes for a solid walk out in nature. You often feel like you have the place to yourself. Lots of shade on a hot day, which is nice. Trails can get muddy and slugs abound (I even saw a snake once!). Still, the lush green, natural feel, stream at the bottom with little bridges make for a very pleasant experience. Biggest downside is that the trails has lots of little spokes off the central loop, so it’s hard to cover all the park unless you do out-and-backs.