Wolf Creek Trestle

Wolf Creek Trestle is a 7.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Timber, Oregon that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

private property

historic site

Tried to make it out here today. First, we drove past the trailhead, we thought it might have been the trailhead cause we drove over railroad tracks but our Google Maps told us to keep going. We only went a bit further though before it started to snow so we turned around and went back to where we'd crossed the tracks to give it a try. However, when we got out of the car there was audible gunfire from nearby. Turns out the trails runs parallel to an area where people like to practice shooting, even though there we signs that said "no shooting" (but they had bullet holes in them...) Anyways, we opted not to try since we weren't sure it was the correct trail head and the proximity of the gun range to the trail seemed too dangerous for our comfort. Once home I confirmed that the area with the gun range was the trailhead so we may go back later in the year when it isn't snowing.

Cool, easy out and back. Impossible to get lost since you just follow the railroad. Trail is becoming overgrown which is beautiful imo. Very cool old railroad structures. Careful on the bridges and in the tunnels.

so it only lost a star because it is covered in a foot of snow at the moment, making for a tougher trek. beautiful though. I'll definitely go back. we made it 2.5mi in to the first tunnel but turned back because of snow. I HAVE to go back to see the bridges.

Not much of a workout as far as elevation gain goes but by far my favorite walk in the woods I've taken in along time. Beautiful forest views with cool defunct railroad gear. Bring a flashlight, the tunnel is dark and creepy.

12/31/17 4wd will definitely be needed once you enter the forrest. This hike truly is a GEM and has everything you could ask for in a hike. The railroad is quickly becoming overgrown and washed out so enjoy it while you can. Not recommend if scared of heights and the tracks are very slippery when wet. My dog was terrified of the bridges so be careful.

Beautiful fall walk! Will do this one again

Fun hike super easy flat out and back...it may have involved trespassing not entirely clear.

Monday, January 30, 2017